Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
Flashfox's profile

Mentor

• 

36 Messages

Wednesday, June 14th, 2017 12:45 AM

Why can't I get more than ~450 Mbps D on my Gigabit fiber service? (~800-900 Mbps U)

Residential gateway is the 5268AC and it's configured for DMZ+ and using my ASUS AC3200 router (LAN port). I also have phone service via the same fiber. TV service is via DirecTV. The Fiber interface is inside the house and about 6 feet away from the gateway. The interface LEDs are green green and flashing orange (w/data). The gateway shows all normal.

The first week I was getting ~900Mbps/900Mbps but now the download speed rarely goes above 450 Mbps. The upload is at around 850 Mbps which I consider as "close enough".

The gateway, fiber interface, computer, router have all been rebooted several times. I even disconnected all devices from the gateway and connected a laptop to the 1000BasetT LAN port with the same results.

Contacted at&t service several times to no avail. They have me run through the scripted tests then say they will escalate it as they don't see anything wrong. Needless to say that I am posting this here as it was never escalated.

Now ~400-450Mbps down is still a great speed and having around 850 - 900  Mbps Up is really the icing on the cake for this former Spectrum cable user. However, as I am paying for 1 Gbps U/D, I am unable to get any clear answer from at&t if they consider ~400 to 450 Mbps D as "normal". I don't.

Is there an at&t "fiber" tech that can shed some light in this forum?

If I am right then what the heck do I need to do to have someone look into this versus "escalating" the issue ... which seems to fall off the cliff 😞

Mentor

• 

36 Messages

7 years ago

SOLVED

Short story: It was "AVG Internet Security 2017" which is on all of my computers. More specifically two components: ONLINE SHIELD

(OLS) and FIREWALL (FW). The other components had no impact on the speed. For whatever reason one or both of those components degraded over time even after multiple computer reboots.

- OLS and FW OFF = U/D over 940 Mbps  <-- YES!!!
- OLS ON and FW OFF = U stays at ~900 Mbps but Down drops to around 400-500 Mbps
- OLS OFF and FW U stays at ~900 Mbps and Down drops ~600-650 Mbps

They swapped the ONT three times, swapped the Gateway then while they were with Tier 2 they suggested to turn off the firewall. Once that was done speeds zoomed back to normal.

My homework: Scour the AVG forums to see what's going on. Some form of "memory leak" as the download speeds kept on dropping over time even after reboots. I will try to reinstal AVG to see if it clears the issue.

By the way, I just tried to selectively disable individual parts of OLS and FW but up to now I haven't found any specific setting that affects the speed. I do know it's those two components of "AVG IS 2017" which somehow dramatically affect download speeds over time.

In the meantime, time to change Security Suites 🙂

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

Flashfox, 

I am having the exact same symptoms as you were, i.e., initial download/upload speeds are great, but download speeds have degraded over time while upload speeds are still fine.  I use Norton, not AVG, but will check tonight to see if Norton suffers from a similar fate.  

Finally, thank you so much for sharing your experience as I thought I was going crazy!

Mentor

• 

36 Messages

7 years ago

I read that the same problem occurs with Kaspersky so it would not surprise me at all if it happens with Norton.

On my side, I had to deactivate two modules from AVG to be able to get this:

Still waiting for a response from AVG but I am not holding me breath. I'll more than likely NOT renew my subscription in September unless to find a solution.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

Good news and bad news.  The good news is that it's definitely an antivirus/firewall issue, but the bad news is that it does not seem to be limited to any particular antivirus program.  I re-tested last night on my Norton laptop as well as on an older laptop with Kaspersky.  Same result in both cases, i.e., download speed was throttled with antivirus active, but instantly increased once the antivirus program was deactivated.  Below are my before-and-after results.   

Capture 2.PNGCapture.PNG 

2 Attachments

Former Employee

• 

123 Messages

7 years ago

We typically see slower speeds for customers with fiber when their antivirus suite also scans incoming and outgoing internet traffic. The more protections and filtering you have, the more your computer will do to filter every single piece of data that comes and goes, ultimately causing internet slow downs.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

I realize that this is an old post, but the problem is that your router doesn't have a good LAN-to-WAN rating.  When working at the max speeds for the connection, your router selection is critical.

According to these guys, your router gets an average WAN-to-LAN of 725.9 Mbps and a LAN-to-WAN of 790.3 Mbps.

Compare that to a high-end router, like the older version of the EdgeRouter, and you'll see what I mean.  It gets a WAN-to-LAN of 941 Mbps and a LAN-to-WAN of 937 Mbps.

I personally use an EdgeRouter 4 and can get sustained speeds of 900-1000 with burst speeds of around 1200+ (don't ask me how that works).  In short, if you're looking to max out a gigabit connection, you're going to need something better than even your high end residential routers.  I previously used a Netgear Prosafe SRX5308, but it didn't have enough system resources for the job.  On the EdgeRouter 4, I almost never see it using more than 20-30% of it's resources, even when I'm pulling stats like these:
54437158_10219005947125599_4866884015853928448_n.jpg55666864_10219005915764815_2860987108682629120_n.jpg

2 Attachments

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.