Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
MonCherie's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Monday, February 13th, 2017 12:53 PM

What happens if you hook up a faster modem to your uverse line?

I just received a "new" modem that was made in 2014. I would like a faster modem. Why can't I purchase a faster modem?  I noticed when I was perusing modems that there are modems which are pre-certified by Verizon & Sprint. Why can't AT&T pre-certify faster modems which will work with the Uverse lines?  Why must our internets be tied to just one OLD model? 

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

7 years ago

Typically, ATT will refurbish and re-use existing equipment for customers, if available.

In real world practice, the speed of your service is determined by your local interface boxes, and not your modem.

In most cases, all modems can work much faster than the service they are connected to.

(for instance, I have 6mbps dsl service, and my modem can handle speeds up to 20 mbps.)

Since feb. of 2015, ATT no longer sells equipment, you can only lease it. Also, the machine codes are propritary, and will only work if it's authorised to work on that connection.

IF you are having issues with your modem, typically, ATT will switch it out for you. Can't promise it will be new, but should be servicable.

As the saying goes, function wise, there are modems that would work just fine on the att network, but they will not be activated, unless you got it from them.

Now, if you have legacy dsl, you can still use your own modem, if you prefer. (I do)

However, giga power and u-verse are a closed network, and only their devices will work.

Suposedly, the fcc was working on allowing customers to use their own 3rd party equipment, but with the new president in office, the fcc quietly dropped that idea.

Best wishes, and good luck.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.