Explore & discover

Helpful Links

VERY slow page loads with Fiber 100/BGW210-700 router

VERY slow page loads with Fiber 100/BGW210-700 router

I recently signed up for the Fiber 100 plan. My bandwidth is great and I get about 90Mbps down and up. I have < 10ms pings to major sites on the internet (Google, etc.)

But basic web surfing is AWFUL. For example, a simple Google search will take 6-12 seconds to load the page. Almost any page load is like using dialup. Oddly, there's a huge pause where nothing happens, and then suddenly the whole page loads instantly.

If I am on google.com and typing interactively into the search box, I will get near-instant autocomplete results. But when I finally hit enter and do the search, the page load will take 6-12 seconds. I get similar problems on other sites. It's like establishing the initial connection of the HTTP request is the bottleneck. I thought it was maybe DNS, so I switched to 8.8.8.8 but that didn't make a difference.

I suspect the router itself is the problem, because the admin interface is similarly slow when I visit 192.168.1.254. I get the impression that the router hardware is overwhelmed in some way; insufficient memory, unable to handle connections or something like that.

Rebooting the router makes it better for about 6-12 hours, then it slows down again. After a reboot, page loads are not as fast as our previous service (Time Warner cable modem), but it's bearable for a few hours.

I have wired as well as a WiFi clients using the router; it affects both, but WiFi is much, much worse. I am using all the default settings from the initial installation (only thing I changed was the SSID). I just got the system update to 1.8.18 a few days ago (it came installed with 1.7.x), but unfortunately that did not help.

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 122
Guru

Re: VERY slow page loads with Fiber 100/BGW210-700 router

Sorry, @B0nemagic I see your earlier post now.  That firmware hasn't had a lot of complaints in the ~6 weeks it's been out although I will note that AT&T is now beginning to roll out v1.10.9.  Of course they never tell you what each version fixes (or often breaks!) but it is sorta odd that they pushed out a new one so soon after one that didn't seem to have any obvious issues.

Just curious, has anyone in this thread tried disabling IPV6 on the BGW?

Message 31 of 122
Tutor

@tonydi 
I just got home and my connection is horrible. Multiple disconnects in last half hour... its really bad. I ran speed test and am seeing less than 20mbps when last night I had 960mbps. I was not seeing decreased speed with disconnects yesterday. Now I'm seeing both.

I will try disabling IPV6 right now.

Also my BGW is running v1.9.16

Message 32 of 122
Tutor

@tonydi

Disabling IPV6 did not help.

Setting DNS to 8.8.8.8 did not work on my PC or my mac laptop.

Had issues with ethernet and wireless wifi connections all night last night. I tried pulling power on ONT to reset and it actually got better for about 10 minutes then went back to bad connection again.

Message 33 of 122
Guru

Wow, more going on there than I thought.  What do the stats look like on the Broadband Status page?

Broadband Status.jpg

Message 34 of 122
Tutor

@tonydi 

Status.JPG

Message 35 of 122
Guru

Nothing to see there.  I'm out of ideas at this point so I'm afraid that getting on the phone with AT&T support is the next step.  Hopefully their tools might pinpoint what's going on with your line.

Definitely come back here and update the thread when they figure it out.  I wish you luck!

Message 36 of 122
Tutor

This feels like a DNS resolving issue, since your download speeds are fast, but bringing up websites is slow. Like the first relay is failing or something like that.

Message 37 of 122
Guru

@SFCable 

That's what I thought too but if you read through the posts you'll see that they already tested with different DNS servers and it had no affect on the problem.

Message 38 of 122

It does seem like a DNS issue but using google dns isn’t fixing it for me either. It’s maddening. Gigabit Internet, streaming is insanely fast, but browsing on any device can take 10+ seconds to start a page load. 

Message 39 of 122
Tutor

Just on the phone with ATT.  A woman told me it was my 'Parental Controls' and that they were turned on.  I've never done this and when I logged in to the router with her on the phone, sure enough it wasn't listed as being turned on.  She finally admitted she had no idea.  A tech is supposed to come out tomorrow and I hope I have some more info to share.

Message 40 of 122
Guru

Parental Controls......oh my.  I'm surprised they didn't say it was the color of the Ethernet cable.

Well, the good news is that the AT&T field techs are generally very knowledgeable and self-motivated to get the customer a good result.  He will probably also have a replacement BGW on the truck so unless he sees a problem on the line I suspect he'll swap that out and see what happens.

Good luck!

Message 41 of 122
Contributor

What was the resolution here? I have the same issue.

Message 42 of 122

No resolution for me yet. I turned off IP pass through and it got a LITTLE better but it’s still awful.
Message 43 of 122
Guru

@Gigabitter,  you turned IP Passthrough off?  So you were running a third party router behind the BGW and now you're not?

Message 44 of 122

No. I set it up to send traffic to my Xbox so my Xbox wasn’t behind a NAT. In older models of the router/modem you could put the Xbox in the “dmz” which did the same thing. This one doesn’t have that.

Either way, removing that debt totally fix the issue. I still get very long initial page loads sometimes. What’s interesting is if I refresh it once or twice it will come through like it should.

You can tell it’s happening because the status bar will load to the same place and then stop and sit there for 10+ seconds. When it works properly it stops there very briefly, so briefly you barely notice it, and then works. That spot where it pauses briefly I believe is where it’s doing dns lookup and whatever handshake it does with the destination website. For whatever reason it hangs there sometimes. Never had this happen before.
Message 45 of 122
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Additional Support