Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Slower speeds when connected thru Ethernet as oppose to Wifi

Contributor

Slower speeds when connected thru Ethernet as oppose to Wifi

Hey guys,

I could sure use some help in trying to figure out a speed issue I'm running into. I have recently signed up for ATT's gigabit fiber connection (1 weeks ago). I'm seeing a strange issue with most of my machines that plug directly into ATT's modem (Arris BGW210-700).

I have 3 laptops with gigabit connection each (specs provided below) and they're linked at 1Gbps, and the speed tests are showing their average speeds of ~150-200mbps x ~200-260mbps. When I run speedtest using my desktop, I'm consistently seeing speeds of 800mbps+ x 800mbps+, I'm checking speeds on speedtest.net (I use the same server), att.com/speedtest. What's really odd is that my Wifi speeds on the laptops are faster than their ethernet counterparts (with Wifi I'm seeing ~300mbps x ~300mbps).

I checked the NIC's on all my computers and they're setup to Full Duplex, as well as all ports on the att router are setup to full duplex. I have tested the laptops using the same ethernet cable and port that's being used by the desktop, but I still see slower speeds once i plug the laptop. I changed the power settings of the laptop to Performance and have been testing speeds with power source plugged in, but that hasn't made a difference. Something about those ethernet ports on the laptops that's not making sense.

Is this the case where the laptops don't have enough hoursepower to be receiving faster downloads or is it possible issue with the ATT router? The fact that I'm getting far better speeds on the desktop than the laptops leads me to believe that there isn't a problem with the att router. The speed drop off (using wired connection) is so significant between the laptops and the desktop that it's really hard not to notice.

ATT Router model = Arris BGW210-700 (software 1.0.29)

Desktop PC:
Dell XPS 8700 - i7-4790 3.60 GHz - 16GB RAM - Windows 10 Home

Laptops:
Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon - i7-4600U 2.10 GHz, 8GB RAM - Windows 10 Pro
Dell Studio XPS 1645 - i7 Q720 1.6GHz - 6GB RAM - Windows 10 Pro
Dell Latitude E7440 - i5 4310U 2.0 GHz - 4GB RAM - Windows 10 Pro

Let me know what you think, any help is greatly appreciated!!

Message 1 of 15
Professor

Re: Slower speeds when connected thru Ethernet as oppose to Wifi

@artbybart

Thanks for the great information. Unfortunately, I don't know the Arris BGW210-700 but I will convey some tips for the 5268ac that have resolved similar issues.

1. Disable IPv6 (Settings/LAN/IPv6) on the Arris BGW210-700 and on each of the adapter settings on your PCs and laptops.
  2. Change the Ethernet setting for each port of the Arris BGW210-700 from Auto-Detect to 100BaseT/Full Duplex.

IPv6 creates extra data traffic and depending on the device, can actually slow down IPv4 throughput but that depends on the Ethernet drivers used by Windows for each adapter.

Ethernet auto negotiation enabled on the router and your devices can cause additional, unnecessary data traffic as well. Available memory on each PC/laptop can impact speed test but that impact should be for WiFi as well. And finally, the PC/laptop Ethernet adapters; probably different types/levels with different drivers, so speed test may show variations but not like you are experiencing.

@ATTDSLCare

Thanks for getting back to me.  I have tried what you recommended, but still no luck.

First, IPv6 has already been disabled on the Arris BGW210 and on all my clients.

Second, if I'm trying to achieve speeds close to gigabit speeds, why change settings on ethernet ports on the Arris to 100Mb/Full Duplex?  I'm only asking so I can understand.  I did, however, do as you recommended but the speeds were still subpar (~150 - 200mbps downloads).

Just to be clear, only 1 PC (desktop) out of the 4 is exhibiting speeds close to gigabit.  The rest of the computers (laptops), are showing better speeds using Wifi vs. wired connection.

I have included the specs for all my computer in my first post.  Is it possible that due to lack of horsepower on my laptops is the reason why I can't achieve 500mbps+ downloads.  If horsepower is the issue on the laptops then how come my wireless speeds are faster than my wired speeds?

Thanks again for all your help!

Message 3 of 15
Community Support

@artbybart,

I believe that @ApexRon made a typo, he meant 1000baseT/Full Duplex, not 100. I am not sure if this is an option on that modem as the internal site with the simulator seems to be down.

On another thought, what kind of cable are you using to test the laptops with? can you use the same cable as the desktop? This would rule out ethernet cabling issues.

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question? Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button. Have email issues? Contact the Digital Assistance Center at 877-267-2988 and you can also reach out to our Chat Support 24/7.

For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.

Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCares and @DIRECTVService

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 15
Professor

"Second, if I'm trying to achieve speeds close to gigabit speeds, why change settings on ethernet ports on the Arris to 100Mb/Full Duplex?" It's very common for the Ethernet auto-detect protocol at one end to not be 100% compatible with the other end. This incompatibility can cause excessive and unnecessary auto-detect packets to go back and forth across the Ethernet slowing down user data traffic. In some cases it's so bad that the adapters at each end cannot agree and the connection remains inactive. I highly recommend not using auto-detect in the AT&T router/gateway. 

You will need to go into the Windows adapter information for each of your 4 PC and confirm the adapter types that able to get from manufacturer web site.

Dell XPS 8700 - i7-4790 3.60 GHz - 16GB RAM - Broadcom NetXtreme 10/100/1000 PCIe Gigabit Networking Card, Full Height

Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon - i7-4600U 2.10 GHz, 8GB RAM - I did not see any Ethernet adapters on Lenovo website
Dell Studio XPS 1645 - i7 Q720 1.6GHz - 6GB RAM - I did not see any Ethernet adapters on Dell website
Dell Latitude E7440 - i5 4310U 2.0 GHz - 4GB RAM - I did not see any Ethernet adapters on Dell website

The biggest problem with Window 10 is that you can install it on a underpowered PC and the only thing that the user knows is that it is extremely slow. To account for lack of PC resources Windows 10 does a lot of memory paging which involves the hard drive. On my daughter's Dell Latitude I max'd the memory at 8GB and Windows improved tremendously from the 4GB but still it was doing a lot of paging but this wasn't even Windows 10 Pro. I, personally, would not install Windows Pro on anything smaller than 8GB.

Another consideration is how an Ethernet is implemented on a laptop motherboard. My old MacBook Pro had a dual internal PCI bus in which the hard drive and the CD player were on the same bus. It worked but the CD player caused the bus to run at half speed, slowing down the hard drive. I removed the CD player and instantly doubled the hard drive performance. I then replaced the hard drive with a SSD and the system is like a rocket now.

Back to the question at hand: "Is it possible that due to lack of horsepower on my laptops is the reason why I can't achieve 500mbps+ downloads.  If horsepower is the issue on the laptops then how come my wireless speeds are faster than my wired speeds?" Two of your PCs don't have enough memory but that should not necessarily make the WiFi faster than the Ethernet but you have to consider if each adapter is on the same bus and/or what other devices are on the bus with them. 

When you connect the Ethernet for any PC make sure that the WiFi is shutdown or else Windows will do some creative routing. Other than that, I am out of ideas.

@ATTDSLCare wrote:

@artbybart,

I believe that @ApexRon made a typo, he meant 1000baseT/Full Duplex, not 100.

Not a typo but based on my 5268ac which is my only point of reference since I don't have any technical information for any other AT&T device.

The AT&T Gateways must auto-detect 1000baseT or they will not use Gigabit speeds.  You can only manually set lower speed levels.  This is my experience on the NVG589 as well as @ApexRon's on the 5268ac.

However, if you manually set 100BaseTX, then you will not get any faster than 100 Mbps on that port.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 15
Professor

@JefferMC @ATTDSLCare

Seeing is believing. Note that port 2 is 100BaseT but connects at a speed of 1Gbps:

Screen Shot 2017-05-06 at 8.20.57 AM.JPG

@ApexRon Thats interesting.... but is the speed on the Lan running at 1Gbps? Because I would have to wonder if the software would still limit the speed to 100 even though its connecting at 1Gbps. That could easily be another bug with the 5268. 

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question? Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button. Have email issues? Contact the Digital Assistance Center at 877-267-2988 and you can also reach out to our Chat Support 24/7.

For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.

Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCares and @DIRECTVService

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 9 of 15
ACE - Expert

@ApexRon wrote:

@JefferMC @ATTDSLCare

Seeing is believing. Note that port 2 is 100BaseT but connects at a speed of 1Gbps:

Screen Shot 2017-05-06 at 8.20.57 AM.JPG

That's just plain crazy.  Did you have it set to 100baseT when the cable was connected (or at last reboot)?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 10 of 15
ACE - Expert

Oops, I have to retract my earlier statement about the NVG 589.  The NVG 589 does currently allow you to select GB speed:

Capture-2017-05-06-NVG589-LAN-Speeds.PNG

Message 11 of 15
Professor

@JefferMC wrote:

@ApexRon wrote:

@JefferMC @ATTDSLCare

That's just plain crazy.  Did you have it set to 100baseT when the cable was connected (or at last reboot)?

If I remove cable, reboot the router, and plug cable back in - 1Gbps (amber light and all)

If I leave the cable in, reboot the router - 1Gbps (amber light and all)

I can change ports, no matter. As long as I have the port set for 100Base-T, 1Gbps (amber light and all)

Device is an AppleTV but I can plug in my MacBook and get 1Gbps

@JefferMC wrote:

Oops, I have to retract my earlier statement about the NVG 589.  The NVG 589 does currently allow you to select GB speed:

Capture-2017-05-06-NVG589-LAN-Speeds.PNG

The problem with these options is that it presumes that the user knows the capabilities of the cable and/or device they are using. In other words, if the user selects "1G full duplex" but the device can only support 10Mbps, what happens? Will the router negotiate down to 10Mbps or just not work?

The only guarantee that auto-negotiation will work between devices is if both device's Ethernet chips were tested in a lab but no one knows if that ever happened or what the results were except the chip manufacturer.

Most device manufacturers recommend auto-detect and I agree. However, if there are issues, such as the owner of this posting is experiencing, then disabling auto-detect at one or both ends is in order.

My expectation is that if I set a particular speed that the equipment so set will communicate at the selected speed and not negotiate; if the other end doesn't support that speed, then no communication will ensue.  To ensure the two ends don't autonegotiate themselves into confusion, I could set both ends to the same speed.  Or, I could set one to a fixed speed, and let the other negotiate to that same speed.

There is no way I would expect to set a device to use 100baseT and find it communicating at 1 Gbps.  Yet, that's what the firmware on your 5268 is displaying.

Message 14 of 15
Professor

JefferMC wrote:

There is no way I would expect to set a device to use 100baseT and find it communicating at 1 Gbps.  Yet, that's what the firmware on your 5268 is displaying.

This is the problem I have with any company re-logoing another company's product. A better choice, though more expensive, would have been to issue a Cisco router as they know what they are doing and are quicker with fixes.

Announcements...

Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Additional Support