Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
bustedmagnet's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Tuesday, December 24th, 2013 8:28 PM

Slow connection using Google, Facebook, and certain sites after recent upgrade

Hello, I'm brand new UVerse GigaPower user.

The transition to this new service hasn't gone as smoothly as I hoped but I want to try to figure out this most annoying issue for now.

First of all, I'm using all of the default settings on the device provided by AT&T. The Motorola NVG589. On speedtest I'm getting the advertised speeds of 300/300 with a 15ms ping.

So the problem is, when I do a google search from chrome, it hangs there until it eventually times out and then I have to reload the page, after which the search results appear. Another example is in Gmail, sometimes the inital page is very slow to load, but it hangs forever when trying to open individual emails. Again, multiple page refreshes seem to fix this. 

Again, everything is default. I'm tempted to try to disable WIFI on the NVG589 and use my own router but hoping I can resolve it without going through that. 

Thanks!

PS. I'd like to add that youtube(google) is also unusable.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

So is it IPV6 DNS that is the issue or is it IPV6 connectivity?  Have the timeouts stopped completely since you statically defined Google's DNS servers on your system?

Unfortunately since you cannot change the DNS servers on the router, I guess the only option if you want to continue to use IPV6 is bypass the ATT provided equipment and setup your own router to distribute your custom DNS settings or statically set it on all your machines.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

i was having timeouts every few minutes.  i disabled ipv6 via the att router and they seem to have gone away.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Was having some serious issues with tablets and phones connected through wifi. Once disabled IPv6, all the problems went away. Thanks!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

For anyone who wants IPV6, I did some further testing and it appears that the Reflexive ACL firewall setting may be what is causing the issues.  I tested by setting up the uverse router in IP Passthrough mode and used google's public IPV6 DNS servers on my own router.  When I disabled the Reflexive ACL option under the Firewall settings and was able to get 160+Mbps.   With the Reflexive ACL option enabled, I was getting timeouts and weird connection issues. As a word of warning however, that means your devices will be accessible to anyone over the internet unless you put your own IPV6 firewall in place somewhere.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

This still seems to be a problem with GigaPower. Having to disable ipv6 on all my devices is a nuisance. I'm not even sure how to do it on iOS. Is there any traction on the ATT side to address this problem? I called tech support with this issue and suggested ipv6 as a culprit and they refused to acknowledge it.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

I have really long pings, and terrible download/upload speeds. When I do a tracert my first leg, the Uverse hop is fine, 1ms or less. The rest of the route is terrible:

1ms to         192.168.1.254 - dsldevice.att.net

1007ms to   104.49.220..3 - lightspeed.frokca.net - this is their router, probably local

next hop timed out

952 ms to      12.83.77.141

618ms to       12.122.136.181

next hop timed out, another route attempted

672ms to     216.239.49.168

934ms to     209.85.246.253

946ms to       72.14.232.63

450ms to       72.14.233.200 - these are probbaly in the same building

808ms to     216.239.48.165

next hop timed out, another route attempted

889ms to         8.8.8.8

a ping is 900ms, a ping from another site, by another route, 11 hops is 23ms.

My conclusion is that Uverse, which I thought was my problem is working fine, it's ATTs routing and infrastructure that's the problem. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Definitely try disabling IPv6 on your computer.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Turning off IPv6 on my ATT motorola NVG589 solved my issues. Google services now load quickly. Prior to turning off IPv6, Google Street View, for example, was nearly unusable. After turning it off, I can zoom around faster than I could in a car.

It's interesting that ATT still hasn't resolved this issue in over a year. Or they should at least have IPv6 turned off by default on their routers.

My friend was experiencing the same issues with his non GigaPower Uverse internet and this appears to have resolved his issues, too.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I can confirm that for me this solved the issue as well.  This is on a MacBook Pro on Yosemite, and over wired.  The wired/wireless component doesn't seem to enter into the troubleshooting, same issue either way.  What a nuisance.  Is AT&T ever going to fix this?  I have uverse right now and have Gigapower coming really soon to me, but I might wait a few extra months for google fiber instead.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

What y'all are describing is exactly what I'm experiencing with Google, Facebook, YouTube and a few other sites on 3 Mac desktops and 3 Mac laptops running Yosemite or Maverics on a combination of wifi and Ethernet. I've had AT&T Uverse technicians out to "fix" this four times since signing up for the faster service several months ago. The first three times they claimed to have fixed a "line problem" before leaving. Three days ago the last tech acknowledged from the start he didn't know what the problem was. Am I reading this correctly that this mess is up to the customer to fix by making changes on every device receiving an internet signal from an NVG589 router?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.