Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
jon6205's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Sunday, April 22nd, 2018 12:50 AM

Why is my AT&T Fiber 1000 not exceeding 100 megs per second?

I had AT&T Fiber 1000 installed today. The router's internal tests show it is receiving about 955 megs, but all my hardwired devices show less than 100 megs. Even when I connect a laptop directly to the router, it does not exceed 100 megs per second. Is there a setting that may be wrong? How do I get closer to the right speed?

Thank you.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Associated Member

• 

248 Messages

6 years ago

That sounds like the device you're connecting isn't capable of handling 1000mbps.

Likely the network card in it is an old 10/100 card, and will only ever get up to 100mbps.

If its a desktop, you can buy a new Ethernet card and that should help, if its a laptop, nothing you can do.

Another possibility, are you using CAT5, CAT5e, or CAT6, CAT5 can't do more then 100mbps, CAT5e can do 1000mbps over short distances, CAT6 is capable of 1000mbps up to 150 feet

Scholar

• 

119 Messages

6 years ago

I got the same problem. 1000 up and 947 down, but my devices are all over the place. I'm going to get some cat"7" cables off Amazon and see if the speed increase.

Associated Member

• 

248 Messages

6 years ago

I wouldn't suggest running CAT7, it hasn't been codified, and isn't an official category yet, and the costs are going to be a ton higher then just running CAT6, and its a pain to work with since I'm assuming you'll need to terminate it yourself.

CAT6 is shielded and requires the terminators be grounded to the shield, CAT7 from what I understand not only is the entire bundle shielded, but so are each pair, and is an absolute headache to work with

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Using a Samsung galaxy S5 phone. I  used to get service in milam, TX but no longer.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Why no service in Milam, TX? 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Service speeds are slow in our area and have been for months. There's a whole Nextdoor discussion about it for the last several days. I pay for gigabit service and speed test run a moment ago (it's 6sm here} shoes 89 Mbps download and 90 Mbps upload. This is typical. Last night, my download was down to 10 Mbps. This is completely ridiculous. And dozens of homes in our subdivision report similar lack of performance. When are you all going to do something about this!?! Many report that they've complained and nothing has changed. Help please!!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Reporting similar experience here in Charlotte, NC. very inconstant speeds. I hate to say this but perhaps i need to rethink why i left spectrum. I am getting now where near 1000 mpbs. If CAT 6 is a priority then this is something you should be providing to your customers as part of the service to meet the speeds I am paying for. I am using your equipment which has been replaced twice. WiFi is joke being only a few feet away from modem. Speed test are a joke since it is pinging to close proximity. 

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

5 years ago

Cat5e is capable of 1 gig. 

Go go here and post your line stats. 

http://192.168.1.254/cgi-bin/broadbandstatistics.ha

Run the Speedtest from your gateway.

what are your wired speeds there?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.