Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Sizing a UPS for ATT Fiber Equipment

Scholar

Sizing a UPS for ATT Fiber Equipment

FWIW - I obtained one of those "Kill-A-Watt" devices that let's one measure line voltage, frequency, device power consumption... I decided to use this device to determine what kind of Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) I would need to keep the ONT/NID (Optical Network Terminal)/(Network Interface Device) and the RG (Residential Gateway) up and running in the event of loss of power to the house. I also want to put a UPS in place to handle brown-out conditions and other short-term transients.

Below is a listing of steady-state measurements I obtained from the various pieces of equipment. I have also included the STB (Set Top Box) receiver, and my television model for points of comparison.

ONT/NID - 3.4Watts [[Alcatel-Lucent 7368 ISAM G-010G-A]]

RG - 12.6Watts [[Arris BGW210-700]]

---

STB - Set Top Box - 10.5Watts [[PACE - IPH8010]]

40" LED HDTV - 77Watts [[Samsung UN40EH5300]]

Message 1 of 5
ACE - Expert

Re: Sizing a UPS for ATT Fiber Equipment

A note about the IPH8010, make sure it is recording or playing back when you take your measurement; it has a rotating hard drive which spins down when the device is idle and you probably want to account for the higher draw.  It may be that you captured the higher in your testing, I just wanted to mention it.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 5
ACE - Master

There are sites you can google that will figure this for you, like this there's many to choose from. Minuteman makes a pretty good reliable UPS for your ONT I'd think one with 500 amp hrs would hold it for an hour or so. I'd just take the power information on your equipment and plug it into one of the sizing sites for UPS's

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 5
Scholar

@JefferMC - I'm with you 100%. I'm pretty sure it was recording or playing back a show at the time. Anyway, I'm not trying to keep the STB alive, just the ONT and Gateway as I would potentially want to stream on my smartphone.

These should be used for their intended purpose, for approximating the total watt load to carry. The information that is important to me was corroborated by a Tech CSR at ATT when I performed a chat with them a few days ago.

I was surprised ATT hadn't collected this information on it's site. I keep coming back to the point that it could be doing quite a bit more to support it's user community by serving up technical reference material / documentation in an easy to find location... It's not that hard to improve the state of affairs.

Message 4 of 5
ACE - Expert

A community member named SomeJoe7777 did a survey for equipment in use back when he did it (about 6 years ago) and published it here, just like you did.  Thanks for doing it with more modern equipment.

Another thing he did was check the consumption difference between an STB on, and an STB in standby: the difference is negligible, because the STB is always displaying the "press OK to watch TV" on all outputs when in standby and apparently the other stream processing takes little current.

EDIT: I think you have the lawyers to thank.  (1) Don't want to make any commitment or any kind, (2) don't want to publish any information that a lawyer trying to bring a case could use to show that AT&T said "x" but "y" was observed (for example, AT&T could say the DVR consumes 2 watts, but a faulty one pulled 29 and tripped a circuit that had someone's iron lung plugged into it...

Message 5 of 5
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Additional Support