Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
goose61282's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Monday, January 27th, 2014 7:13 PM

Remote issues

For the sake of a useful support forum I am going to post my issue even though I have already contacted AT&T (no response yet).  I will post their responses and my findings.  

------------------------

First message to AT&T:

I have the IPH8005 DVR and we are having some pretty frustrating problems with the remote responsiveness.  It is very difficult to use a DVR when there is only a 50% chance of any button press working.  The phone app seems to work well enough, but that solution comes with its own issues. (phone locking while fast forwarding, calls closing the remote, etc.) 

Is there a solution in the works for this?  I really don't feel like I should have to spend $60 on a new RF remote when this is a well documented problem.  We are really frustrated with this, and if we were within the grace period we would probably be canceling the service.

-------------------------

Due to irrelevance I did not include that I have also tried to make this work with a Harmony 650 with similar results, but I wanted to include that here in case someone else is searching with a similar issue.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

goose61282 - I believe you are at least the third person reporting such problems. The first one also indicated he was working closely with att to fix it.

That model DVR seems to be especially bad.

Here is the thread for the second person. It includes a lot of background on IR problems.

http://forums.att.com/t5/Receivers-Battery-Backup/Slow-remote-response-on-my-IPH8005-DVR-what-should-I-do/m-p/3879509#M58532

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi goose61282,

We have received your message and look forward to working with you to get this issue resolved.

-David T

Mentor

• 

62 Messages

10 years ago

I have the same problems with both my harmony and uverse remotes.  The Director of Gigapower came to my house during install and I have been conversing with him since early december. I let him know that this issue really bad makes me want to get rid of the box altogether and go back to the old box. Unfortunately, I have told that I can't go back to the old 500gb box.  I have had uverse for years and never had an issue with either remote.  He assures me that they have a team working on this and it is elevated to the VP level here in Austin. 

I saw a couple of other threads about tape and a microfiber cloth...haven't tried those yet, but I will probably will just to see if it makes it tolerable.

Mentor

• 

62 Messages

10 years ago

Just thought I would pass this on...Gigapower execs let me know that they have identified the root cause of the problem regarding the remote responsiveness.  In addition, they have a fix and are testing it right now.  So, hopefully it won't be long till something comes our way.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

billcrowley - Thanks for posting positive news. If it does prove to correct the problem, please ask them to look at the older STBs. They have the same problems. Just not as debilitating.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

So AT&T replaced my dvr today.  One interesting note is that I had the wrong one in the first place.  So they put in the 1TB model.  However, I'm not much better off than I started.  The box does seem more responsive at times, but it doesn't seem to respond well at all when sitting on the sofa.  This leads me to beleive there might be some interference from my TV, so I will have to investigate the situation.  I did do a similar test with the previous one without results so I think it might be promising.  I'll switch out my receivers later today as see what happens.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

After a few days of testing, I can say this is definitely fixed. I switched the DVR back to the other room and it is working perfectly. I'm sure having double the hdd space will also come in handy. It may just be wishful thinking, but I also think the other receiver is responding more quickly on dvr playback.

Mentor

• 

62 Messages

10 years ago

Interesting...I haven't gotten a new DVR box yet.  However, some techs were at my house last night fixing a telephone issue.  I brought up the DVR problem.

They were aware of the problem and said there were two issues....software and hardware.  The software problem is in process of being fixed.  They described the hardware problem as the IR sensor pointing more down than straight.  They suggested propping up the front of the DVR so that it sits at an angle.

So, I put an old ATT remote that I had lying around underneath the DVR and sure enough it definitely improved the response time.  While it is not up to what I would consider par, it is defnitely much better.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I am having similar problems too.  It is very frustrating!

My DVR is in the closet so I have a little different situation.  I already had an infrared repeater setup and it worked perfectly with all my equipment but I just couldn't get it to work 25% of the time with the DVR box.  I also have a high end Universal Remote Control which supports IR and RF, so I upgraded to the URC RF receiver box to see if that would help.  It is better, but button presses still only work 75% of the time.

I am really hoping this software update works because it is not very usable as is.  Would like to hear from anyone who knows when the update is supposed to happen.

Thanks

Andrew

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

drewloch - Have you tried attenuating the IR signal by covering the IR sensor or moving the blaster away from the DVR? It is counter intuitive, but it does work.

This tape, found in the Home Depot electrical department, has often proved effective - http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-2-in-x-150-ft-Vinyl-Electrical-Bundling-Tape-Silver-30002664/202741845#specifications
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.