Explore & discover

Helpful Links

PACE 11.1.0.531418 DMZ Issue

Mentor

PACE 11.1.0.531418 DMZ Issue

I put my router behind the PACE gateway and set the router as DMZ.  The latest firmware is crapping out my fiber connection where I'm only able to get 50mbps down and 1-200 up.   I thought it was my router crapping out, but apparently when I connect any other device directly to the gateway, I'm able to pull 940mbps up and down.  I swapped an older router and placed that device in the DMZ And it starts acting up and the previous router started working normally.

Can someone look into this?

Message 1 of 558
Contributor

Re: PACE 11.1.0.531418 DMZ Issue

I had the same issue where the 5286AC throttled my speeds to roughly 50mpbs download/200mbps upload on all equipment connected via wire or wi-fi to my Asus GT-AC5300.  The issue presented itself immediately after AT&T pushed firmware update 11.1.0.531418 to the 5286AC at the beginning of September 2018.  As of this past week, AT&T tells me that this still is the latest version of firmware for the 5286AC, so it does not appear that they are working to quickly resolve these concerns.  AT&T customer service offered to send me the BGW210-700 gateway without resistance once I explained the situation and quoted both my experience and the contents of this forum posting.  As usual, AT&T execution was AWFUL.  Twice, within a matter of days and hours on chat with them, they sent me replacement 5286AC gateways despite the representatives and their supervisors assuring me that they were "personally following my issue and making sure that I would receive a BGW210-700."  On my third call, the representative indicated to me that the warehouse only has 5286AC gateways and all the BGW210-700 gateways have been deployed to the field technicians.  This rep then scheduled a truck roll which was a huge inconvenience; yet, the only way I could obtain the BGW210-700.  To add insult, AT&T had not provisioned a BGW210 for me, so the installation took longer than expected; yet, I got the equipment.  Once I configured Passthrough on this new router and optimized my external IP address so that I could access OpenVPN, I immediately noticed improved speeds and a shorter ping 450/700 wired even on my old Q6600 beater desktop.  Also, field tech cannot take back your equipment even if AT&T tells you this via phone/chat as their ability to track is terrible.  Return to UPS Store for your own protection.  BGW210 has faster, cleaner interface though it is equally, if not more confusing.  Had difficulty configuring Public IP on my ASUS ROG router; yet, finally got there through trial and error -- configured passthrough on BGW210 and just needed to get the IP addresses tying back to my ASUS correct -- did not need to fool with cascading the router.  Reports that 5286AC blocks VOIP traffic must be true as I have also had issues with OOMA not ringing or forwarding calls to my cell phone when someone calls.  Those issues are now gone with the deployment of the BGW210; it is much better equipment.  Also, there IS NO bracket for this router.  Save the bracket from the 5286AC and tie the BGW in with some wire or zip ties.  It is not pretty; yet, it works. AT&T Gigabit fiber is cheaper and better than Comcast as a result and they could really be a competitor to traditional cable internet; yet they cannot execute!  Contractor installation was terrible - they cut the line when burying it then jammed the fiber into the existing Comcast conduit despite the prior tech establishing new conduit on my house and me telling them not to do this.  They never gave me my $100 VISA card upon signup and now I have to chase them for this as well as the credit they promised for the latest debacle.  I guess you get what you pay for though I hope they get it together and teach Comcast a lesson for gouging the public.

Message 541 of 558

I went the route of buying a BGW210-700 from eBay. One should not have to do that, but it cost me $38, and solved my problem. For me an outlay of $38 just beats having to call Tech Support and try to get then to Ship me a new RG, and the headaches and possible monthly charges that could bring. 

I did a full reset of the RG I got, it was working and configured in minutes. It had an old 1.5.x firmware on it, but since has been updated. I feed an Asus RT-N68U running Merlin firmware. Getting mid 900's up/down wired, and log 400's over wifi on the same floor as the ASUS.

Message 542 of 558

What a nightmare it is to deal with AT&T support. After reiterating multiple times I need NVG599, and the rep acknowledged this being the solution and being aware of the problem, and that NVG599 will arrive on Thursday the replacement modem shipped today (Friday). And it is another Pace.

Message 543 of 558
Associated Member

@A_T_T_SUFFERER THat is because the agents have zero control over what RG is sent out, its a purely automated based on location and subscribed products, there's a selection dropdown yes, but it's only useful if there's a tech on site for telling the system what RG is about to be installed.

tl;dr; the only sure way to get a specific RG is to have a tech install is

*I am a trusted partner that is associated with AT&T, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 544 of 558

@IT_Moose Yes, I assume that is part of the nightmare that AT&T is: reps having zero control *or* ability to understand what happened on the previous call. Follow up calls/chats had zero context into the issue: they knew I contacted AT&T about "slow speed", but had zero idea about what the resolution was supposed to be or why. Starting from zero on every single call.

And now that they did schedule an appointment with the tech, he isn't here. Sitting *****, waiting for him to arrive: already past the appointment windows.

[word filter avoidance]

Message 545 of 558

Well, apparently the appointment was canceled because local DSLAM is having issues, and they canceled all appointments in the area. Without ever notifying those of us waiting. Took me about an hour to obtain this information.

On the phone, canceling the service now. At least that part of AT&T is in Kentucky and not in Philippines. 

Message 546 of 558

At&t this not a solution, simply double NAT'ing and opening all ports is not a fix. We are now at April 1st and the issue is still persisting. When will you have an actual fix for the problem?

Message 547 of 558
Teacher

Seconded.

Message 548 of 558
Contributor

For those that don't know...

We have tested with a few modems when it comes to this issue, and later discovered that this problem immediately disappears when switching from Residential to Business indicating that this is done by design.

This may not see admission from AT&T but it's a very real scenario.

Thanks,

Message 549 of 558

Wow. April now (6 months later) and no updated firmware. Disappointed.

Message 550 of 558
Scholar

It's obviously not going to be fixed. I read a thread recently from an ATT employee about a new gateway due to be released later this year. He seems pretty certain it would be out by the end of the year. I guess because downgrading the 5268ac firmware fixes the issue, they don't feel like an update is required since ATT no longer is pushing the buggy firmware. Switching to a BGW210 also fixes the issue. Maybe that is why they are not working on a new firmware. Just a guess but you would think a new firmware would be out after six months if ATT was going to fix it.

Message 551 of 558
Teacher

@Transponder, you're probably right.  Thankfully my replacement came with the old firmware and it's stayed there since December so it's safe to assume they're not pushing the new anymore.

Message 552 of 558
Teacher

This solution does not work if you L2TP-ipSec into your network. Because DMZ+ only supports TCP and UDP where IKE needs AH and ESP. (as I understand it)

Message 553 of 558
Teacher

this does not work if you protocols other than TCP and UDP.  I use IPSec/L2TP and that requires AH and ESP.

Message 554 of 558
Teacher

while this is a work around it is not a solution. when are we going to get a proper fix?

Message 555 of 558
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements...
Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!
Additional Support