Explore & discover

Helpful Links

PACE 11.1.0.531418 DMZ Issue

Mentor

PACE 11.1.0.531418 DMZ Issue

I put my router behind the PACE gateway and set the router as DMZ.  The latest firmware is crapping out my fiber connection where I'm only able to get 50mbps down and 1-200 up.   I thought it was my router crapping out, but apparently when I connect any other device directly to the gateway, I'm able to pull 940mbps up and down.  I swapped an older router and placed that device in the DMZ And it starts acting up and the previous router started working normally.

Can someone look into this?

Message 1 of 694
Contributor

Re: Still issues in 11.3.1.532191

I've implemented their work around.  For the most part it works, but the downside I've noticed so far is that it is much slower getting security camera video through the network to my phone this way.   Prior to this I was on DMZ+ and running at the 50Mb/s they had us limited to and it was still much faster to make a connection.    Also, with the latest firmware and the workaround I get maybe 200Mb/s download max, where I used to get around 400 from the original Pace FW before this whole mess started.

Message 676 of 694
Explorer

@rabernethy4 I can't answer your question (as I don't have 2 xboxes), but it is worth a try - the double NAT workaround is really easy to set up and try and see if it works.  It takes less than 5 minutes and once you set up the firewall rules, you can also pretty easily switch between the double NAT/firewall settings and DMZ+ (you just need to have your router renew its IP after the switch). For me double NAT didn't cause too many issues (I use voip but not much gaming) and it was much better than the groundhog day of waking up each morning after downgrading to it being upgraded ...

Message 677 of 694

I can confirm in implementing the workaround/solution to enable all TCP and UDP to my firewall behind the gateway that my Samsung DVR will timeout intermittently. I'll connect remotely to the DVR and the connection will drop. I'll have to reconnect. My suspicion is that even though the Pace gateway is supposedly passing all packets to my router/firewall -- it's still doing some sort of firewall processing on those packets.

Man... it'd be great if the gateway could just passthough the connection to our own firewalls. ATT really needs to get their act together on this.

Message 678 of 694
Mentor

Well, it took them nearly a  year but they finally pushed the 11.4 update to me (from 10.7) last night around midnight. Luckily, I have not seen any degradation of service in my speeds or WiFi calling. DMZ+ has the public IP assigned to my router and everything seems to work from there. A true bypass would be better but I am having no troubles for now. I'll be keeping a close eye on it.

Message 679 of 694

Interesting. What is the exact version you are on 11.4.x?

I am still on 11.3 and awaiting an update.

Message 680 of 694
Teacher

Thanks for the heads up. 

Just checked and it seems I’m on 11.4.1.532484-att.

I will need to test dmz + and WiFi calling as well. 

Message 681 of 694
Teacher

Ok 11.4 seems promising. No WiFi calling dropped calls and normal speeds. 

Message 682 of 694
Teacher

Re: PACE 11.1.0.531418 DMZ Issue

Message 683 of 694
Contributor

I made an account just to thank you. This fixed the DMZ issue. Hopefully wifi calling is back to working too.

Message 684 of 694
Teacher

UPDATE:

Still having wifi calling issues. Tested on my iPad that uses wifi calling and calls are dropping after about a minute and a half.

UPDATE 2:

Rebooted the modem and was able to have a longer conversation and the hasn't dropped (6 minutes and still going). I would encourage everyone to test and report back but try rebooting your modem after switching back to dmz plus mode. 

Message 685 of 694

I upgraded to 11.4 using the link above and I'm back to running DMZ+ without issue.  Thank you!

Message 686 of 694
Teacher

If you have double-NAT configured, undo that configuration before a manual upgrade to 11.4.

With 11.3, I set up the Pace DHCP to assign a pool address to an asus router and firewall rules to port forward to that asus router.

After a manual upgrade to 11.4 and a reset to factory defaults  theand power cycle,P DHCP IP assignment page shows the asus router has  a static address that is the private address assigned in 11.3.   And I cannot change this address on this assignment page. The power-cycled asus router configured for WAN DHCP is getting that old private pool  assignment.

UPDATE:

I downgraded the Pace  to 11.3 using the file link in this thread. Power cycled. Reset to factory defaults.  Powered off the Asus router.  Power cycled the Pace. Upgraded the Pace to 11.4.  Power cycled. Reset to Factor Defaults. Power cycled. Powered up Asus router.  Configured DMZ Plus on the Pace. 

Everything looks good.

Tags (1)
Message 687 of 694
Teacher

mine updated automatically sometime in the last week, 11.4.x. I have yet to turn back on DMZ+, will try tonight.

Message 688 of 694

Even with a bypass, none of my linux CLI processes can get over 4.5 mb/s upstream.

No, that's not a typo. 950+ mb/s down, pretty consistently, but use something other than a web-based speed test, and the uploads drop to late 90s DSL rates. From a website, e.g., speedtest.net, I get symmetrical ~950. A couple times I've actually crept into quadruple digits.

Not so with plex, or my file sync daemon, or even just speedtest-cli.

It really looks like there's some funny business going on.

Message 689 of 694
Mentor

If you want a real-world account of how fast your internet connection is, then download something large and time it. The math won't lie...  In more cases than not, the server you are downloading from is your bottleneck, assuming your computer hardware is up to par. Same goes for uploading..

As far as your connection (and mine), we aren't paying for a guaranteed 1000 Mb/s speed.. We are paying for a connection that is capable of handling those speeds. Most internet servers won't provide information at those speeds though.

FWIW i find speedtest-cli to be grossly inaccurate. When I run the test from the closest AT&T server to me (New Orleans) it shows my speed as "0" on both up and down, despite completing the test much faster than any of the other servers... I can tell you this.. On average when I download a 2GB file, it takes me between 30-45 sec...  That's anywhere between 364 - 546 Mb/s.. not a true gigabit, but infinitely faster than speedtest-cli says it is..

Message 690 of 694
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Additional Support