For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
deteria's profile

Mentor

• 

14 Messages

Wednesday, October 31st, 2018 4:12 AM

PACE 11.1.0.531418 DMZ Issue

I put my router behind the PACE gateway and set the router as DMZ.  The latest firmware is crapping out my fiber connection where I'm only able to get 50mbps down and 1-200 up.   I thought it was my router crapping out, but apparently when I connect any other device directly to the gateway, I'm able to pull 940mbps up and down.  I swapped an older router and placed that device in the DMZ And it starts acting up and the previous router started working normally.

Can someone look into this?

Scholar

• 

465 Messages

5 years ago

If it doesn't work in those rare cases then just reload the firmware to restore the cert then hard reset. And I am sure there are some you can buy that are defective and the seller is trying to dump it but definitely worth a try especially if you can get one cheap. Problem is so many people in the last few months have been doing this is driving up the prices. 

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks for the info. I got on for $35 on eBay. Claims never used. Let's see how it goes. I am running double nat now behind the PACE and my ASUS router, need to get back on DMZ at reasonable speeds with the BGW210. 

Scholar

• 

465 Messages

5 years ago

Let us know how it works out. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

It took me 3 months to find this thread, and hours and hours of support with Linksys to figure out what the issue was.  I applaud the OP and the "semi" workaround fix.  Can we please get an update on when a new patch will be applied to our modems to alleviate this issue?  

Mentor

• 

62 Messages

5 years ago

@MichaelWR90  Wrote:

Can we please get an update on when a new patch will be applied to our modems to alleviate this issue?  

The answer is Never. It is very profitable for AT&T to throttle people at 50 Mbps while they pay for 1Gbps. Most of their customers have no idea they are being throttled. The few who find out, they will simply "deal" with them: send them "whatever" to placate them, threaten to charge the customer for a Tech visit, deny the problem is theirs because... "third party" equipment. You have seen it here if you read the thread. AT&T has Zero interest in doing anything. Period.

Mentor

• 

31 Messages

5 years ago

Yep, unfortunately they will not do anything anytime soon to actually fix this issue. I went ahead and had them send me another Pace gateway and it had 10.7 on it... Been in use since November and no problems yet since they have not pushed out the firmware update .. Looks like that's the best I can hope for.

Employee

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

Most devices can’t handle a gig Ethernet for the common person. I see speeds of 1.2 gig - 870 mb all the time on jobs that I do. You say it’s an At&T issue but 90% of the time it’s the devices that are hooked up. That being said I always recommend customer get there 100 mb service. There is no reason anyone actually needs a gig.

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

5 years ago

I've hesitated to try to push for a replacement router.  I was a UVerse customer from 2003 until 2016, or maybe 2017.  Over the years, I had several router upgrades.  At one point, they made you buy your own router.  I remember paying for it in four monthly installments, if I'm not mistaken.  Long after I forgot about this, it crapped the bed, and a replacement was sent to me.  Everything was fine.  Suddenly, around 2015 or 2016, this $5/month equipment fee snuck up on me, despite the fact that I was forced several years before that to pay dearly for my router and was told that I owned it.  I went back and forth with the awful online customer service for months.  Every month, I went back and forth with various levels of customer service for an average of around 2 hours, and eventually got my credit and was promised it would not happen again.  Yeah right.

One day, I got in trouble at work when my boss noticed that it was the third time I had to take a 2+ hour lunch to go back and forth with AT&T.  That was the final straw.  I cancelled after all those years.  Then they asked for the RG to be sent back.  While happy to oblige, I did remind them that I owned it outright.  It turned out that when it was replaced, my ownership ceased.  The RG I owned was shot.  There were nice enough to provide me with a free replacement, but the replacement was theirs, not mine.  Which also explained why they kept charging the equipment fee.  When I asked for documentation, I was told that it came with the router.  When I stated that I kept all paperwork ever received from AT&T, the line went silent.  At this point, I was already done, so I just told her not to stress over it, just tell me how to send it back and I will.  So she did and I did.

Where I'm going with this is that AT&T is absolutely not to be trusted at all.  Period.  Especially when it comes to equipment being swapped out.  They can and will do whatever they want, and you will have to pay for it if they suddenly decide they want some more of your money. So I have opted to continue to pay $90/month for 50Gbps just to see how this pans out.

Thus, it seems to have "resolved" itself, at least as far as one can reasonably expect a service provider, especially this particular service provider, to "resolve" such an issue with their residential-class CPE.  It looks like they are sticking with 10.7, and that is where the hardware will die:  With 10.7 running on it.  Thus, it would seem that my best option would be to downgrade my router to 10.7, so that I'm still running my original hardware, therefore they can't start charging me any fees for it a year or two down the road.  Also, I'll be running the "current" supported firmware, so I shouldn't get any flack should I ever need support of any kind.

Just my 2c.

Edit:  For the "" around "resolved"

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

5 years ago

@wcowan86:

Sure, most people don't need, nor can they even get 1Gbps on any one device.  Add a second or third computer, along with several phones, plus some IoT for good measure, and guess what?  You just easily filled that 1Gbps pipe.  You don't see it in your five-minute averages?  Or even your 30-second averages?  Well, that's because you're looking at a five-minute average.  Or a 30-second average, for that matter.  At any given moment in time, a particular flow will utilize 100% of the 1Gbps pipe.  If it's only transmitting a a few bytes, that moment of time will be very short-lived.  I could go into great detail to explain, but trust me:  You don't want me to do that.  🙂  Regardless, the point is that 1Gbps is not a whole lot anymore.  (source:  20 years as a Sr. Network Engineer)

Also, remember that the folks in this thread are generally part of that other 10% you're talking about.  Trust us...  This problem is not with our equipment that we have behind the RG.  In all of our cases, it was working great until this particular firmware rev was pushed out.  I was personally seeing a very consistent 700Mbps down and 980Mbps up.  Then, there was the 11.1.0.531418 upgrade.  If I disable DMZPlus on my personal router, then it's around 320Mbps down and 600Mbps up.

Mentor

• 

31 Messages

5 years ago

If you are an AT&T employee then you sir, are part of the problem. You say you recommend the 100 megabit package to customers. Well, this particular firmware bug (yes, it's AT&T's problem) caps speed at 50/200 or so. That means even after you down sell your customer to the 100 meg package they won't even get that speed. And as far as customers (like me) not needing the gigabit package in their home.. that's for ME to decide, not you. I understand quite clearly that the limitations can be with the equipment, but within reason. Not half a percent of rated speed...

As for myself, I called the customer support (laughable at best) and had them send me a new gateway which had the older firmware on it and it works like a charm.. Of course it only took two weeks and ordering it 3 times to actually get one.. But I get 940+ up and down all day everyday. Again, AT&T's equipment... not mine. I would add that nobody at that call center speaks fluent English and they all lie through their teeth. They will tell you whatever they think you want to hear just to get you off the phone.

AT&T offers the service, so one would expect that they deliver what's advertised within reason, not at .5% of the advertised speed. You're basically saying, "Well, you don't need to do 50 mph in your car most of the time, so just drive at walking speed and you won't notice the problem"... That being the case, why even offer anything other than DSL?? By your logic, most people don't need anything more anyway.

You set a fine example for AT&T... Keep up the good work...

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.