Explore & discover

Helpful Links

PACE 11.1.0.531418 DMZ Issue

Announcements...
Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!
Mentor

PACE 11.1.0.531418 DMZ Issue

I put my router behind the PACE gateway and set the router as DMZ.  The latest firmware is crapping out my fiber connection where I'm only able to get 50mbps down and 1-200 up.   I thought it was my router crapping out, but apparently when I connect any other device directly to the gateway, I'm able to pull 940mbps up and down.  I swapped an older router and placed that device in the DMZ And it starts acting up and the previous router started working normally.

Can someone look into this?

Message 1 of 542
Tutor

Re: PACE 11.1.0.531418 DMZ Issue

I replaced my Pace 5286 two days ago with the BGW210..  I disabled wifi, disabled packet filters, no NAT/Gaming entries, and configured IP Passthrough using DHCPS-Fixed.  My google wifi worked great for the first day or so, tonight I noticed that I am getting super slow speeds, even worse than I was with the 5286..  Now I am getting around 4 or 5Mbps down and 46Mbps up.  When I connect directly to the BGW, I get 350+Mbps up and down.  I checked the firmware, still on the same as what it was when the gateway was installed - 1.5.12.  

Anyone else having issues with their BGW210?

Message 181 of 542
Highlighted
Administrator
Solution
Accepted by Administrator (Administrator)
Accepted by ATTKevin
‎12-13-2018 3:38 PM

Hello Community!

With the help of our fantastic customers in this thread, we've identified an issue with the PACE 5268AC Router Gateway running 11.1 firmware that may cause speeds while using DMZ+ to be lower than anticipated. While a solution using DMZ+ is not yet available, we have identified a workaround that should have you firing on all cylinders again in no time!

Steps to Take

1. Access the Router Gateway (RG) interface from your home network through a web browser. Type http://192.168.1.254 to access the devices' Graphical User Interface (GUI).

2. Select Settings tab from the top menu bar.

1.JPG

3. Select LAN tab from the Settings sub menu.

2.JPG

4. Select LAN IP Address Allocation.

3.JPG

5. Scroll down and select the Device that is identified as DMZ device in Device Status.

6. Under Address Assignment select either Private from Pool or specific private IP to statically assign to your device. You may need to reboot your device and RG to force a new IP assignment.

4.JPG

7. Select Firewall from the Settings tab sub menu.

5.JPG

8. Scroll down to the Edit Firewall settings area. Select Add a New user-defined application.

6.JPG

9. After clicking Add a new user-defined application you will see the window for Firewall Application Profile Definition

10. In Application Profile Name Enter All UDP, Select UDP for Protocol, In port (or Range) field enter 1 in from and 50999 in To field, then hit the Add to list button.

11. Hit the back button at the bottom

12. Repeat steps 9-11 but substitute All TCP in Profile Name, TCP for Protocol, In port (or Range) field enter 1 and 50999 in the from and to fields, select Add it to the list and hit the back button.

7.JPG

13. From the Select a Computer field, select the device to forward all traffic to by clicking on it. Alternatively, you can Enter IP Address assigned to the device.

8.JPG

14. Select All UDP and All TCP from the Application list and click the Add button. The two items should show on the right column. Then click the Save button at the bottom right.

9.JPG

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 182 of 542
Administrator

I would like to personally thank @deteria for bringing this issue up in the community. Deteria has helped tremendously in organizing the conversations, helping other users, and providing us the information that helped find a solution. It's folks like Deteria that make our community great.

In addition, I would like to call out and thank @IT_Moose for escalating this issue up. IT_Moose saw a trending issue and pulled out all of the stops to flag down the right people to get support for everyone here. They also provided some further testing that helped isolate the problem.

Finally, while there's too many folks to individually name them all, I would like to thank the following users for their willingness to help us in solving this problem and provided information offline in order for us to get to where we are now.

Thank you all for your help! The AT&T Community plays an important role in identifying and solving issues and we appreciate your collaboration!

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 183 of 542
Teacher

@ATTKevin, couple of notes regarding your proposed solution. This won't help situations where the inside router needs to have the actual public IP address so that any Layer 7 messages with the embedded IP address are correct or can be fixed up properly by the NAT implementation on the router sitting behind the 5268ac. 

More importantly though, the 50 Mbps issue is not the only serious problem when DMZplus is enabled. Your workaround above will work around this problem as well since you're effectively removing the DMZplus feature, but I should note that the other serious problem (which is how I actually discovered this problem) is that there is some kind of problem with the NAT code that is causing one-way audio for VoIP calls. I experienced this first-hand with a Cisco phone sitting behind my router where the RTP stream coming from the phone is permitted through the 5268ac briefly (about 30 packets get through) and then the stream stops. This is 100% reproducible. I've seen reports of Wifi calling from AT&T phones not working and exhibiting the same symptoms - likely due to the same problem as I assume Wifi calling also encapsulates voice packets in RTP. I suspect both problems are somehow related to each other as they both appeared at the same time in this firmware version and only seem to happen when in DMZplus mode, but thought I'd point it out to ensure that not only the 50 Mbps issue is resolved, but also this issue as well. 

Will you be reporting when the permanent fix for the issue is in place? 

Message 184 of 542
Teacher

@pgiralt,

Yep, I had DISCORD no longer function and I couldn't figure it out for the longest time.  Turns out I had your same issue.  I had about 1-2 seconds of audio work, then BOOM, no more audio sent on DISCORD.  I was losing my mind.  Reformatted my entire PC, and still didn't fix it.  Roll-back to 10.7 and DISCORD worked again.  

I'm now on an NVG599 so sadly I cannot test further for you guys, but something was definitely off with DISCORD audio while DMZ+ issue was occurring.  Fixed with roll-back and obviously with device change to NVG599. 

Message 185 of 542
Teacher

Yep, I had DISCORD no longer function and I couldn't figure it out for the longest time.  Turns out I had your same issue.  I had about 1-2 seconds of audio work, then BOOM, no more audio sent on DISCORD.  I was losing my mind.  Reformatted my entire PC, and still didn't fix it.  Roll-back to 10.7 and DISCORD worked again.  

I can confirm I had this same problem. It's actually what led me to discover the speed issue. I'm back on 10.7 firmware for now.

Message 186 of 542
Mentor

I'm waiting for an NVG599 to arrive in the mail (hopefully it will not be another Pace) but while I wait, how do you actually downgrade / rollback the firmware to V10.7?

Message 187 of 542
Associated Member

@pgiralt- I suspect that the issue would be related to the speed issues as well, but thanks for bringing it up, as for how the workaround for the DMZ+ issue also prevents the public IP from being used, mind you, DMZ+ isn't true IP Passthrough, IIRC it wont actually provide the router with the WAN IP, its not a feature I often work with though so I'm not 100%. That being said, sadly, its not a perfect solution, but its the best there is until the firmware issues are resolved.

*I am a trusted partner that is associated with AT&T, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 188 of 542
Teacher

@JamDung

1) Plug computer directly into Pace router

2) http://192.168.1.254/upgrade

3) upload this file: 

gateway.c01.sbcglobal.net/firmware/00D09E/10.7.0.530220-PROD/att-5268-10.7.0.530220_prod_lightspeed-install.pkgstream

4) hard reset your router.  Hold the RESET button on the back for a solid 60 seconds, freak out when it appears to die with all red lights flashing, then reboot your entire network.  Things worked out for me just fine...but I was scared for a bit. 

5) NOTE: your settings  on your router will be SO SLOW.  Like 5 minutes to load a page.  Have patience, and setup your DMZ+ again.   It will work, but if you think it should load in a few seconds you will be angry. 

Message 189 of 542
ACE - Expert

@IT_Moose wrote:

... as for how the workaround for the DMZ+ issue also prevents the public IP from being used, mind you, DMZ+ isn't true IP Passthrough, IIRC it wont actually provide the router with the WAN IP,...

I beg to differ.  DMZ+ is supposed to be the same functionality as IP Passthrough on the modems that use that name for the feature.  When the device so configured does a DHCP request to the Gateway, the Gateway responds to the request granting a loan to its public IP, just like IP Passthrough does. 

You have published clear instructions for implementing the known workaround, which is a good second step (first being acknowledging the issue exists), but we all await with bated breath the actual correction to the function in the firmware so that we can have single-NAT, unincumbered audio, etc.  So thank you for all you've done and what I know you'll do to keep engineering aware of the need for the resolution in software (not documentation).  Smiley Happy

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 190 of 542
Teacher

@JefferMC, you are correct that the device gets the public IP from the gateway and it looks like it's passthrough, but it's not really passthrough. If you look on the gateway, you'll see that it is creating dynamic NAT translations for every transaction. This is why you can have other devices connected to the gateway that get private addresses and they too get NATted to the same public address that your device gets. It's a very strange setup but it generally works unless you exceed the number of stateful translations that the gateway supports. 

Message 191 of 542
Tutor

@y0bailey,

I also need my inside router to get the public IP, so the proposed solution doesn't really help me.

So, I guess I'm in a downgrade situation, to.  Any idea why the 5268ac's setup screens are so slow following the firmware downgrade, though?  I mean, the 5268 pages were never fast loading, but several minutes?  Could it be that maybe there are remnants of v11.1 are not getting totally overwritten with the downgrade?  

Wonder if there is a way to totally flush the 5286's NVRAM prior to loading v10.7?

Message 192 of 542
Teacher

I had the same issue on Discord ... Drove me crazy as the last thing i suspected was the gateway and DMZ+ as the culprit. Now all the pieces of the puzzle have come together - slow speeds, discord and also seeing issues with my Google Home and Amazon Echo dots audio stopping suddenly.

I hope to be off the of the Pace gateway soon. I need a proper bridge mode. Never had these issues on cable modems ... 

Message 193 of 542
Teacher

I had the exact same issue with Discord. Drove me absolutely insane.

Whoever is responsible for this firmware update has some serious explaining to do. Especially with what seems to be a hard coded bandwidth limit. The amount of people that were seeing exactly 50/100 speeds is quite suspect. 

Message 194 of 542
Teacher

Ok just wanted to report some good news. Had an ATT technician come by (they booked the appointment as soon as possible after hearing about the issues) and he brought me a BGW210-700 and we got it setup in about 10 minutes with IP Passthrough and no issues at all. I explained to him the firmware issue and happily swapped out the modem for the newer BGW210-700.

The BGW210-700 admin page is basically instant when adjusting settings. He told me the NVG599 is an older model they no longer provide at least in my area. Luckily the technician also took all 3 of my 5286 refugee modems back so I didn't have to return them myself.

So just to help save people some time. Don't bother requesting a new gateway/modem from phone or online chat support. Just have them setup a meeting and make a note that you would like to get a BGW210-700 as a replacement or something else decides the Pace gateway, and they will likely be able to bring you the new one directly. Turning off Wi-Fi and setting up IP passthrough is extremely easy to setup on the BGW210-700 compared to the 5286. My router sees my public IP as expected and handles the traffic on it's own.

Message 195 of 542
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support