Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
deteria's profile

Mentor

• 

14 Messages

Wednesday, October 31st, 2018 4:12 AM

PACE 11.1.0.531418 DMZ Issue

I put my router behind the PACE gateway and set the router as DMZ.  The latest firmware is crapping out my fiber connection where I'm only able to get 50mbps down and 1-200 up.   I thought it was my router crapping out, but apparently when I connect any other device directly to the gateway, I'm able to pull 940mbps up and down.  I swapped an older router and placed that device in the DMZ And it starts acting up and the previous router started working normally.

Can someone look into this?

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Hoping for the best, otherwise they will be sending another one.  Hopefully with all of these issues they stopped rolling out the update to unaffected customers.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I downgraded my Pace to 10.5.3.527283-att, and now in DMZ+ mode I'm getting ~850Mb/150Mb. Faster down than I used to get (650Mb), but slower up (450Mb).

I'm going to call tomorrow for one of the other model gateways - is there a specific bug/defect number I should reference when calling in?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks everyone for this thread.

I'm experiencing the exact same problem.   Noticed my performance was running 45 Mbps or so down and 100 or 150 Mbps up a week or so ago.

I spent 3+ hours yesterday digging into it.   I found that it was triggered by DMZPlus.   Googling the Pace modem and DMZPlus, I ended up here!   

Shame on you, ATT.

Of course, I'm using DMZPlus to avoid double NAT.   However, I've configured the regular pinhole with custom ports (just as was suggested earlier) for the mean time.   

I may give ATT a call and get a different modem.   However, from reading above, it seems ATT will make you jump through hoops to get the right model.   Basically you need a tech to come out to ensure you get the right one?

Bottom Line:

1) I'm seeing it on the Pace modem

2) Same symptoms as described (about 45/50 Mbps down and 150 or so upstream)

3) Everything worked great since September 2016, until whatever ATT did

4) Turning off DMZPlus and using double NAT with pinhole (custom) is a temporary workaround

... Altan

Mentor

• 

14 Messages

5 years ago

I called AT&T and had the run around too, but the 2nd phone support personnel finally understood my issue and offered to send me a new Gateway.  I told them I wanted something different than the PACE and they offered a NVG599, which I'm using now and has been working great *knock on wood*.

Prior to me obtaining the NVG599, my workaround was to remove router out of DMZ+ and just portforward all my custom portforwarding to the router's designated IP.  It was a hassle trying to portforward in the PACE's interface, and seems to cause additional latency, but ultimately still works.

I will say I had similar issues with the very slow speeds (50/200) prior to this firmware as well, and I kept thinking it was my devices / cables, but the speed decreases were temporary.  I would notice slowdowns every few speed tests, and it would go back to normal.  For some reason this firmware made it a permanent decrease.  The issues become very noticeable when streaming on multiple devices, as 50mbps is easily used up by today's standard.

So to summarize, the possible solutions I've found were:

1. Get a different Gateway (NVG599 seems like a solid choice) as I've had prior issues with the PACE in general
  2. Remove device out of DMZ+ and apply port forwarding to the router

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

5 years ago

Or 

#3 - downgrade to 10.7 and continue to use DMZ+.  See page 3-4 for details. I had to plug my computer directly into the Pace to successfully reach the UPGRADE page with file selection available, it wouldn't do it through DMZ+ on my router.  

NOTE:  Once you downgrade, the user interface is slow as molasses (even worse than before, which was already insanely terrible).  I'm talking 5 minutes per page.  

Mentor

• 

14 Messages

5 years ago

I wouldn't consider downgrading since AT&T can randomly push updates and it's not a permanent solution.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

5 years ago

Agreed, but I did it while I'm waiting for my NVG599. 

I host a plex server and we are travelling like crazy, so a double NAT wasn't an option.  Now I have full speed until my new device arrives.  Best of both worlds. 

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

5 years ago

Whoever marked this as solved did so incorrectly. Solved would indicate a new firmware being pushed out to the units to fix the problem this firmware created. 

I called support last night and did the whole circus show for them so they could check off all the steps. I specifically asked for a different type of device, they said they would see what they could do to accomodate. I'll just keep calling and swapping devices until I can get something other than a Pace.

A little disappointed AT&T support isn't doing a little more for those posting in these threads to help. I realize we're probably the small minority of users who like to bypass their equipment,but still. 

Mentor

• 

14 Messages

5 years ago

OP here, I marked the solution that I found that worked as I've been experiencing issues with this for almost a month and still no firmware from AT&T.  I guess I was in their firmware pilot program as there were nobody else complaining about the issue on the forums at the time.  I've also had previous issues where the speed decreases were only temporary (another older firmware), so with similar symptoms, I figured it is related to the DMZ+ issue with the PACE.  I've had speed issues since switching over to Fiber over a year ago, and it was a hassle trying to get a tech visit since the speed losses when temporary wouldn't necessarily present itself when the tech was on site.  I've had 2 tech visits and lines checked, and no resolution.  It eventually got more stable after a different firmware pushed, but the issue came back very bad on this 11.1.0.531418 firmware.

Ultimately, the best solution is to get off this gateway as it's been very troublesome, and the secondary solution can be performed by end users in the meantime to get speeds back while dealing with having to port forward gateway to router.

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

5 years ago

After being promised three separate times that my replacement gateway would be here "tomorrow" the device is finally scheduled to arrive... tomorrow (11/27).  I was also told multiple times that they were sending me a BGW 210 but it looks like it's actually an NVG599 which is fine as that should also solve the problem.

I have to say - my customer service experience was an absolute joke.  I think their go-to move is to promise you that the device will arrive the next day simply so they can close out the ticket.  Suspiciously, my gateway rebooted during my last chat session when I had lost all sense of patience and was really laying into the customer support rep.  LOL!  I'm normally a very calm and reasonable person but the way this was handled would cause Ghandi himself to loose his ****...

I'm hoping for a painless switchover tomorrow.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.