For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
M17Chicago's profile

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

Thursday, February 9th, 2017 4:37 PM

None of my devices will access the website when going through my home network.

This is my last hope before I ask for my old Uverse service to be restored and start looking for a new ISP.

We switched to fiber on 2/3 to get increased bandwidth for the same price we've been paying for years.  All seemed OK initially but on 2/6 my wife attempted to access a website that she has been able to access from home for years but now isn't able to (it's a Supplier Net website that her Customer uses to share information with Vendors).  I happened to be working from home that day and was able to access the site from my laptop so my initial thought was there was an issue with her laptop.  She contacted her company's help desk and they checked all her setups and she was able to access her company website, Google, Amazon Prime, etc so they concluded it was either a problem with the SupplierNet website or our network.  She worked from a remote office on Tuesday and had no problem accessing the site which validates that her computer is setup just fine.  We tried again Tuesday night with her laptop as well as with iPad, Kindle Fire, & iPhones.  None of them work besides my latptop so on Tuesday night I initiated a chat with AT&T to try to resolve the issue.  After finally convincing that person that it wasn't a setup issue with her computer he sent me to an Advanced Tech.  That person said they could resolve my issue as long as I paid extra to sign up for the Service.  Rather than be extorted to pay extra I asked for a Customer Service # because I'm not going to pay any extra Service fees for an issue that started with the new fiber service & gateway.  The person I spoke with tried to go down the same path of checking my wife's computer setup before I stopped them and said we needed to look at something else.  Her proposal was to send a tech which I skeptically agreed to.  The tech showed up yesterday and my wife said he was very cooperative and tried swapping out the gateway and even tried a new model (NVG589).  In the end he wasn't able to resolve the issue.  We're at a point now that I have 1 day to sort out how to get this working before I will call to have our old service restored even though we will lose bandwidth and then I need to start shopping for a new ISP.  I have seen other threads complaining about the Pace Gateways so I'm leaning toward that being the issue but am hoping that someone can provide some other ideas.  Any thoughts on why only 1 device can access a website?  Thanks in advance.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

7 years ago

Additional information in case this helps generate a response.

I entered a ticket at the SupplierNet site on behalf of my wife.  They have been exchanging emails and this is what the latest email stated:

"This seems to be something related to the security settings on your system.

Please ask your IT team to configure the settings on your system. We checked and everything seems to be working fine from our end. There is firewall present from our end that is blocking the access to SupplierNet."

Does this help stimulate any ideas?  Are there Security Settings associated with my Gateway that need to be updated/modified? 

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

7 years ago

One more update.  In researching other forums I have seen reference to certain IP addresses being blocked by websites.  In order to see the difference between my laptop (that can access the website) and other devices (appear to be blocked) I compared what the IP addresses looked like by using the website whatismyipaddress.com.

The interesting difference is that my IP address that is working fine shows the Hostname as equal to the IP address.  For the devices that are unable to access the website, the Hostname is the IP plus the extenstion .lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net (e.g. 104.x.xxx.xxx.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net).  I am using my company's VPN so my ISP & Org show as my company.  My wife is also using a VPN from her Company but it appears that the ISP & Org are listed as AT&T U-verse.  I've asked her to check with her Customer website support team that has been emailing with her whether it's possible they're blocking IPs from the Host with the extension: lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net, but I thought I would share the information here in case that triggers any responses.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

7 years ago

It is likely when your wife "is also using a VPN from her Company" she is most likely using a split-tunnel VPN where you are not.  The difference would be that all of your traffic goes to your company and then to the Internet, where in the split-tunnel, only traffic with an IP address inside her company would go to the VPN, the rest would be sent to the Internet directly, i.e. normally.

Have you turned off IPv6 on your Gateway?  If not, do so.  It may be that the sites are trying to use IPv6, which doesn't always perform very well the way AT&T has it set up for U-verse.  In any case, when turned on it can cause Gateways to randomly crash.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks for the reply!  Actually through some of my searches on the AT&T Forum I did come across a thread that suggested turning off the IPv6, so that was last night's experiment.  Unfortunately that didn't resolve the issue.  

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

7 years ago

Can you post a screen shot (mask the address of the site if you want) of the message you get on the browser when you should get to the supplier's gateway site?

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

7 years ago

Attached is what she gets through her browser.

Webapp Error Message.png 

Another note, I rebooted the router just in case that was a needed step to ensure the IPv6 was turned off.  Before I signed back into my VPN I verified that I wasn't able to access the website anymore and I couldn't.  I'm back on the VPN now and I can access it again.   Your explanation about the difference in VPNs makes me feel better about why my VPN works and hers doesn't.

She did get a reply back about whether they were blocking any IP addresses and it doesn't sound like they are.

SupplierNet is not blocking any particular IP. Could you please get the browser security settings on system checked by your IT.

There is no firewall blocking active on SupplierNet.

We apologies for all the inconvenience, but there are no specific settings required to access SupplierNet.

So it's back to trying to understand what Security Settings need to be adjusted.

1 Attachment

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

7 years ago

I do not think this is a security settings thing.  Can you try a ping and/or traceroute (enter "ping " and/or "tracert " followed by a space and the server name portion of the URL in a command window)?  That can tell us if the DNS name is being translated to an IP properly, and how that traffic to that IP is getting routed.

The message that IE is showing you there is consistent with the DNS name of the server not translating into an IP address or translating to an unreachable IP address.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

7 years ago

I actually tried both ping and tracert from my own compter first, assuming that would work and then I could compare.  The interesting this the ping timeouts on my computer, even though I can access the site.  I was able to google and find the actual IP for the vendor site and used that and it still timeouts.  The tracert for the ip address makes it to 10 hops and then on the 11th hop is when the Request Timed Out starts showing up.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

7 years ago

What is the IP address of the last hop from which you get a response, i.e. hop 10?

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

7 years ago

9 47 ms 47 ms 47 ms cer-edge-19.inet.qwest.net [67.14.122.141]
10 48 ms 48 ms 48 ms 65.112.65.26
11 * * * Request timed out.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.