For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
bungeemike's profile

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

Tuesday, March 14th, 2017 4:27 PM

Just installed Fiber.....have a range about router equipment and wifi range

We just installed Fiber about a week ago and the speeds has been good.  Been getting about 900 hard wired and about 300-350 on wifi.  I have the modem/router that AT&T supplied me with.  The only problem is that the range doesn't seem very far.  Even when we had Comcast, we never noticed a problem with our Ring doorbell losing connection.  Now with Fiber, our Ring doorbell seems like to disconnect to the wifi daily.  

My question.  Is it possible to get a better modem/router that'll work with Fiber and provide better performance (we're in a two story house).  If I have to stick with the AT&T supplied equipment, then I wanted to ask if anyone has tried one of those mesh wifi network and what they would recommend?  I tried various range extenders and they provided very poor speeds and didn't help with the problem.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I bought a netgear nighthawk AC1900 for my two story house and put the ATT modem in bridge mode and now I can a great signal all over my house. Highly recommend going this route. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

How do you put your gateway in bridge?  Thinking about getting the netgear as we too seem to have range issues, even while using the att airties. We currently have the att fiber 1000 speed since we have teens that play online video games. Will the nighthawk AC 1900 work for us?

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

Hi,

AT&T has just installed fiber optic Internet in my home and I’ve decided this would be a good time to give up my Apple Airport network and move to an Orbi mesh system. I couldn’t find the post where you wrote out the instructions as to how you put the AT&T gateway in Passthrough mode & disabled the AT&T wireless so that your Orbi could be the router. If it’s not too much trouble, would you mind posting the exact steps you followed to get your system to work this way? I’ve tried bypassing the gateway so that I could continue to use my Apple network and I couldn’t get it to work properly. I’m thinking I might have been missing a step.

Thanks so much!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.