Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
neal.andrewj's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, December 3rd, 2017 12:56 AM

Intermittent disconnection with Fire Stick

I recently had AT&T fiber (300 MBPS).  All devices are working great except for the Fire stick TVs in the house.  We have 2 and use them to stream DirecTVNOW and other services.  The connection works well for maybe 1-2 hours then the Firestick disconnects.  I go in and reset the Firestick and it works fine again.  I called AT&T and they had me reset the router.  I still have the same issues.  

I never had this problem with Spectrum.  Is there a setting on the router that needs to be adjusted??

Thanks for any help.  

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Professor

• 

5.3K Messages

6 years ago

Yes, I believe so.  My Amazon Fire Stick and FireTV do not work if the 5GHz selected channel isn't on 149 or higher.  The devices seem to perform better on the 5GHz radio.  What you want to do if force the RG to one of the upper channels.  If you have a WiFi spectrum analyzer, there are free ones in Google Play store if you have access, look for best unoccupied  channel.

Login to your RG (192.168.1.254) and navigate to Home Network --> WiFi.  Change the channel setting away from Auto to one that you preselected based on survey.  If you don't have a tool to check, just pin the channel for 5GHz to one between 149 and 161.  

This should stabilize your issues.  Also from within the Fire device settings, you will be able to confirm the selected channel, IP, and quality of the signal.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

This was this was very helpful, thank you!!  I went into the router settings and reconfigured the channels.  Amazon has recommended settings which I found online.  I was able to get everything working.  

Thanks again.  

ACE - Professor

• 

5.3K Messages

6 years ago

You're welcome. Easily one of my favorite devices.  ☺

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I am already using channel 149 and having the same issue with my fire stick disconnecting. Any more suggestions?

ACE - Professor

• 

5.3K Messages

6 years ago

My NVG599 mysteriously switched back to automatic channel selection unbeknownst to me. All of my Amazon device would not connect. Because this was unexpected, I didn't look for this initially. Took me over a day to troubleshoot.

If the signal quality reported by your Fire stick is good, it shouldn't disconnect.

Have you done a site survey to check for potential interference?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I don’t know how to do a site survey so no I haven’t.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.3K Messages

6 years ago

@Firesticker

The easiest way is to use an Android device and download Wifi Analyzer app. It will show usage of channels for both 2.4 and 5.0 radio frequencies. If

The Fire stick itself can tell you the quality of the Wi-Fi connection it has under settings.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.