Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
z.d.clark's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Monday, January 30th, 2017 10:28 PM

Gigapower speeds not delivering

Hi, I've had gigapower almost a month now and my connection speeds are nowhere near what they should be. Wired with a CAT6 ethernet cable I'm only getting around 400gbps and wireless I'm getting around 60mbps, and these speeds are while it's the only device connected so it gets worse when my roommates are home and running their devices as well. My computer is brand new, I built it myself in Noveember, and has a capable wireless adapter and ethernet port so I know those are not the issue.

Community Support

• 

230.7K Messages

7 years ago

Hi @z.d.clark,

We are sorry about the issues. One thing worth trying is disabling the IPv6. Here is a post that goes over it. Since the wireless is going slower than the wired, we know that the speeds are getting there, but the issue is with the wireless connection. It could be the router or the settings. Try changing the wireless channel to see if that helps. Here is a post that goes over how to do that.

-ATTU-verseCare

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

Whenever I first set up the internet, I used a MacBook Pro's wireless diagnostics scan to look at the channels being used and set it accordingly. Scanned again earlier and I was still on a channel unused by other networks around me. I am on channel 4 for 2.4ghz. Tried disableing the IPv6 and nothing has changed. Still getting low wireless download speeds.

Community Support

• 

230.7K Messages

7 years ago

Hi,

Is it possible to connect to the 5Ghz network. With the speeds, 2.4Ghz provides a much lower speed wirelessly and you do not take advantage of the 802.11ac capabilities on the 2.4Ghz.

-ATTU-verseCare

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

Yes, sorry. I was was originally connected to the 5Ghz and was only getting 40-70mbps. After checking channels I switched over to the 2.4Ghz to test what it was getting and it was around 30mbps. Not too big of a difference still between the two.

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

7 years ago

Hi @z.d.clark,

What does your network adaptor/wireless adaptor show for your connection speed or potential connection speed?

-ATTU-verseCare

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

The wireless adapter I have is Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter. It advertises speeds up to 867 Mbps. I've run speed tests on several devices and they all turn up about the same. Even right next to the modem they're only about 70 Mbps

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

The problem still persists. Any recommended courses of action? Should I have a tech come look at it? Would they be able to do anything about it?

Community Support

• 

230.7K Messages

7 years ago

Try running speed tests on your other devices, such as cell phone, tablets, or other laptops. If they all get around the same speed, it may be an issue with wireless congestion in your area or with the U-verse gateway. If you notice other devices do better than yours, then it may be that adapter is defective.

-ATTU-verseCare

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

Tested my iPhone 6S Plus, Windows laptop, roommates' iPhones and MacBooks and. 6 devices total. All getting 30-50 Mbps wireless right next to router. I understand wireless speeds won't be anywhere near 1gb. It's mainly my wired speed that's the issue. I'm not getting anywhere close to 1000mbps even when there's only the one device connected. I know it's not the network card I have because we had gigapower previously through another account in a roommates name, but had to switch to my current one under my name because he moved out. We had an Asus router connected directly to the router then went through the Asus one for our devices and speeds were much better. Could it be I have a bad Pace router?

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

7 years ago

Hi @z.d.clark,

It is possible that the router is having issues but it could be the MTU setting that needs optimization. Go to YouTube and do a search on "how to optimize MTU setting" for the router. There is some math involved and this can be different between other routers. Take this step and let us know if any questions.

-ATTU-verseCare

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.