Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
billcrowley's profile

Mentor

• 

62 Messages

Tuesday, December 24th, 2013 3:38 AM

Gigapower Terabyte Box Issue with Harmony One Remote

I have had a number of uverse boxes over the years and my Harmony One has always worked very well.  I just received the Terabyte Gigapower DVR (Model IPH 8010) today and everything works except for the numbers 0-9.  If I want to enter 4 numbers to go to another channel, I can enter the number 2 for example but none of the other numbers that I push after that actually register with the dvr box.  I have spent hours working on various settings changes with the Harmony Remote software but nothing seems to help.

Has anyone had any similar issues?

Mentor

• 

62 Messages

10 years ago

Yes, useful. Thanks. Unfortunately, I don't have any RF gear/parts and don't really want to go buy any just to make this work better when it should work right from the beginning. IR isn't new tech and it seems amazing that the boxes got manufactured, tested and rolled out with such issues.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

All the same stuff here.  I have an IR extender and it workd perfectly with the Apple TV, BluRay, and worked perfectly for the old box.  

This is about to get expensive for me (since my wife is likely to throw the Harmony One through the TV soon)

Anyone tried the duct tape idea with an IR repeater?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

Ahrey - I believe the only poster to report back was not impressed. He believes it is a software problem.

Try placing the blaster away from the DVR or aiming away.You can try any material to cover/block the sensor.

If you want to avoid IR try an app for a portable device - such as buddy TV for iphone. Not as efficient overall for the universal remote experience, but can eliminate the current frustration with the DVR.

Mentor

• 

62 Messages

10 years ago

Ok, ATT, I am just about at my wit's end with this issue.  I got Gigapower back in December and this NVG 589 box STILL isn't fixed!

The director of gigapower out of Dallas told me some time ago that they had identified the problem, localized it as a software issue and were rolling out a fix.  I am in the software business, and I know for a fact that it doesn't take this long to fix a bug or functionality problem with tech as simple and as commonplace as infrared.

I think we have a all been patient long enough.  When is this getting fixed?!

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

wegap - Thanks for posting. It is important to get the info out there ( here).

The reason for using Motorola codes is that there is only one set of IR for all the boxes. If there were more it would be too complicated for the remote (i.e. Multiple remotes or a switch on the remote or the remote needs to send multiple codes for every command) Also, as new mfgr is introduced all new remotes would be required.

This is similar to cable box & satellite. They all need consistency. Some universal remotes list such boxes by the service provider instead of the box mfgr.

Seems like you are getting successful button presses by lowering the power of the IR at the box sensor.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

wegap - Another thought on your setup -

You are controlling the STB through the TV. You are going even further to manage your viewing via Google software. Be great if the result could be wi-fi control instead of IR.

Are you using other activities direct from the remote to the STB? Seems like probably yes.

The reason I ask is that another poster has a TV that you can program the TV & its remote to control the STB - Actually, I believe this was a pass through of the STB IR. The STB would turn on from direct IR then off from passing through the TV. Using the TV remote & IR, translated may have been a better choice.

My point is that each feature is good by itself, but putting a couple of features together can bring some surprises.

If you do not need the STB to be controlled by the U-verse remote, it would be good to hide it. Prevents ambient lighting corruption and possibility of duplicate signals. Also, the IR blaster could affect another STB (there was a case).

Just be aware of the possibilities as things get more complicated.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Google Tv does have Wifi Remote (This again is a WIFI connection to TV and TV controls the IR blaster which take over the STB IR receiver). 

I have now retired the ATT Remote for the STB and use the LG magic remote which controls the TV and thereby the STB (like the user you described in the message).

After this Painter's tape fix i feel the channel changes and responsiveness has improved a lot and works like it used to work with my Motorola STB (prior to gigapower switch).

I have not experimented with the IR blaster location (currenlty on one corner of the STB), 

Mentor

• 

62 Messages

10 years ago

why has this been labeled a community accepted solution?

This is ridiculous.  We have to add IR blasters, tape, and do backflips because ATT can't provide a box that simply works?!?

Please remove the community accepted solution moniker.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Doesnt Harmony remote come with IR blaster/emitter ?

Mentor

• 

62 Messages

10 years ago

i have the harmony one and it does not come with an additional blaster. addmittedly, this one is 4 years old though.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.