For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
kodak1888's profile

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

Friday, May 18th, 2018 2:33 PM

Closed

Gigabit through internet switch

I recently had Uverse gigabit fiber installed and I get around 950mbs according to the AT&T Speedtest site on my main computer sitting next to the gateway. The gateway is a model 5268AC. I have internet, Uverse TV and home phone through it. My wife's computer is at the other end of the house so I bought a Linksys 8 port gigabit ethernet switch, model SE3008 to connect to her computer. I ran 5E cable to the switch and from the switch to her computer. I can only get around 93mbs on her computer. I can take my Macbook and connect to the cable going from the gateway to the switch and get 930mbs, but coming out of the switch I get only 90mbs. I have tried several cables and several ports on the gateway and on the switch. I contacted Linksys support and they have no idea but sent me a replacement switch. It does the same. Is there some kind of incompatibility with the gateway and an internet switch?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

6 years ago

heres an article from CNet but im leaning towards wht @Gpz1100 stated maybe your computers network card isnt gigabit

Until recently, most home routers supported speeds of 10 or 100 megabits per second. However, Gigabit Ethernet routers have become more common. All three cables can work with Gigabit Ethernet. The old-fashioned Cat 5 cable is no longer a recognized standard, but it technically supports gigabit speeds--just not well. Cat 5e cable is enhanced to reduce interference so that it can reliably deliver gigabit speeds. However, Gigabit Ethernet still pushes the cable to its limits.

Cat 6 cable is full-on certified to handle Gigabit speeds--it's meant to handle it and it does it the best. It's also suitable for any 10-Gigabit uses that may come along someday; although at that point, you're pushing the limits of Cat 6. And let's not get into Cat 7 and it's fairyland of 40-Gigabit speeds.

Cat 6 cable also has more stringent specifications for crosstalk and system noise than Cat 5e does. That means you'll get fewer errors on a system operating via Cat 6.

Scholar

• 

98 Messages

6 years ago

It's not configurable right? Maybe the order that the switch and computer are powered up?

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

6 years ago

No, the switch is not configurable. Can't see any reason it would matter which device is powered up first, but I have tried it enough so that I had have the switch up first and then the computer up first.

It's got to be something that the gateway is sensing when it connects to the switch. Maybe there is some way to set up the gateway to ignore that.

Scholar

• 

98 Messages

6 years ago

@kodak1888 Yes - I think you've nailed it.

On my PGW210-700 there is a gateway config screen: Home Network | Configure. My settings are currently "Auto".

Try forcing the port connected to the switch to 1G Full Duplex. Save and reboot the gateway. Otherwise, I suppose you could try 1G Half Duplex.

The point is, don't let the Gateway negotiate it.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

What else is conned to that switch?

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

6 years ago

I wish I could do that. On my 5268AC gateway the only options are:

Auto-detect

10BaseT/Full-Duplex

10BaseT/Half-Duplex

100BaseT/Full-Duplex

100BaseT/Half-Duplex

I have tried 100base and it doesn't help. They normally are set at auto.

The Gateway is sensing what's on the end of the cable. At present I have 2 computers connected

directly to Gateway ports and they both say the speed is 1Gbps, The port with the cable going to the switch says 100Mbps.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

6 years ago

Well I have tried it with nothing except a Macbook connected to it and can only get 95Mbps

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

Maybe you should return it.  I recommend the 5 or 8 port Netgear gigabit switches.  They appear to be the most popular and successful based on various threads in these forums.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

6 years ago

For now I am waiting to hear from a Linksys 'Sustaining Engineer' from somewhere overseas who was passed this problem after Linksys support gave up on it. He is supposed to contact me either Sunday or Monday. I am hoping he has some idea, but if anyone on the board has other ideas, I would love to hear them. If Linksys does give up, I guess I will try the Netgear switch next.

Scholar

• 

93 Messages

6 years ago

To the OP, are you absolutely sure the network card in the pc getting 93 mbps is actually gigabit capable?  For gigabit, everything along the path has to support it.  What's the model of the network card in the pc?

We have a similar set up here, with the furthest computer about 100' away from the where the main router is.  The signal goes through 3 or 4 other switches before arriving at the far end.

Did you terminate the cable ends yourself or they were bought the ends installed?  Usually commercially terminated cables are properly done, but on a few occasions i've seen where the termination was poor (not all wires making contact) or using improper order.  Both are important for the cable to work properly.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.