Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
KorbenDallas's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, March 29th, 2017 1:57 PM

Fiber service keeps dropping out (5268AC gateway)

Been having some problems with my new ATT service.

Got fiber installed on 3/24. Everything worked great, about 800Mbps down 600Mbps up, which was drastically faster than my old service (Comcast) so I was thrilled. Gateway was a Pace 5268AC.
Of course, as soon as the tech left, I started having issues. The service started dropping out regularly. I would be connected for a few minutes (I’d say between 10-30), then all service would stop to all machines connected, both through Ethernet (two mac computers) or wifi (various phones, tablets, a PS4, a windows 10 laptop, apple TV, etc, mix of 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz). Sometimes the green service light would flash or I would get just the solid red light. Most of the time I would get “Gateway authentication error” or a couple of times “Broadband Service Unavailable” in browser windows when I tried to get to websites. It would just stick there, sometimes fix itself after a few min, and sometimes I would manually restart (unplug, wait 15sec, plug back in). Then service would be back, only to fail again after 10-30 min.
So, I called ATT, got a tech out on the 3/25, he said he measured some weird voltages on the back of the gateway and so he put a grounder on the plug, after he swapped the whole gateway for another 5268AC just to be safe. He also witnessed the issues and confirmed that they were happening. He left, issue cropped up again. He also suggested switching ethernet cables from the white fiber box to the 5268 (no effect after I tried multiple cables), and plugging in the fiber modem and gateway to their own outlet (no effect, though the back of my desk looks a lot more organized now!). He also asked me to watch the PON light on the fiber modem, but as fast as I could look at it when there was a drop out it was always solid.
Called ATT again, and after going through the EXACT same script as before (so annoying), got a 2nd repair tech to come out on 3/28. He said the line coming into the house had a bad end, replaced it, and did a bunch of other stuff outside that he didn’t explain (much less talkative than the instal and first repair tech). Service was back and good for a few hours, started dropping out overnight, and now the same issues are back.

A note about all issues: 100% of the time so far, when the service drops out, I still have my local network running through the 5268AC. My computers can all see and communicate with each other, over ethernet or wifi.

My theories, in order of how likely I think they are:
- ATT service is bad, somewhere further up the line than the box on my street
- This model of gateway doesn’t like the service or something on my network, and so is throwing fits
- One of my ethernet computers is sending bad signal/voltage down an ethernet cable, causing problems (I don’t think this is likely, because of the note about the network, but its the only one of my theories I could actually do something to fix)

really want to keep this service (much faster/cheaper than Comcast), but if it is this unreliable I simply can’t. I need to make a call by the last week of April if I want to be in my 30 day cancellation.

Anyone experienced anything like this before, or have any other theories I could try?

Community Support

• 

231.3K Messages

7 years ago

Hi @KorbenDallas,

Sorry to read of the trouble you are having with your internet drops. In the past, modem environment has played a key part in modem function. Check out this article, it may help. If not, let us know. 

-ATTU-verseCare

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks for the reply @ATTCares

Update:

Went through the dang script again with an online chat person yesterday, they scheduled a senior tech to come out the same day (3/29, thanks for the fast service at least!). He did some stuff at the terminal and also replaced my ONT box in the house. 
So far, stable and fast! Not a single drop since he left. He said the old ONT box was giving readings that were in spec, but only just. The new ONT box gives much better readings.

I'll update if anything changes, but for now it appears it is fixed.

Community Support

• 

231.3K Messages

7 years ago

Hi @KorbenDallas,

That's fantastic and love the feedback! Glad we could assist in bringing you a resolution.

Also, we wanted to introduce you to our myATT. It allows you to troubleshoot in the palm of your hand and even setup a technician appointment. It is much faster than calling in as well. You can download it from the app store or texting myATT to 8758 to receive a link to download it.

ATTU-verseCare

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Is the problem still resolved.  I have had the gigabit service for close to 2 months and there is at least one random period every day with a  random dropout of fiber gigabit signal. Speeds drop to below 10mbps but will be over 800+ Mbps the rest of the time.

2 technicians and one change of modem, so far. This happened while the technician was at the house and he spent close to 4 hours here and never found the answer. I have not had the ONT box switched? Did this fix your problem or are you still having issues? Thanks!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

We are going on our 6th modem. Not sure if att is as reliable as they say they are or the people who developed the infrastructure for att at our complex is inept. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

It’s getting cumbersome for a tech to come out and give you dazzle dazzle replace the modem, give you a talk, an email to contact them for issues, then when something does come up they do not reply. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

EXACT same problem as original poster.  Question - did replacing the ONT fix the problem long term??

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

I know this is an old post but figured I'd give it a bump. I am having issues with my internet where my optic fiber speeds will drop to 7 mbps upload speeds and occasionally 10 mbps download speeds on my PS4 which is hooked up through ethernet. I get lag when playing my online games that makes it pointless to play because of how bad the game play is when this occurs. It happens randomly throughout the day although when I do a speed check through wifi on my Mac it gives me solid readings of 500-550 mbps download and upload speeds. I had a tech come out twice already in which the first time they switch out the ONT box and didn't really see any changes in the occurrence. The second tech that came out had replaced the PACE 5265AC for the BGW210-700 and although I got solid readings through my Mac while performing speedtest.net I was still getting inconsistent speeds on my ethernet wired PS4. Some of the speeds would show normal of 400 DL/200 UL but when performing a second test the speeds drop to 150-200 download speed / 5-8 MBPS Upload speeds. I've tried using my console at a friends and had no issues with the PS4 which tells me it is the internet connection. Any ideas what I should do to fix this issue? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

5 years ago

@Chiromike78 wrote:

I know this is an old post but figured I'd give it a bump. I am having issues with my internet where my optic fiber speeds will drop to 7 mbps upload speeds and occasionally 10 mbps download speeds on my PS4 which is hooked up through ethernet. I get lag when playing my online games that makes it pointless to play because of how bad the game play is when this occurs. It happens randomly throughout the day although when I do a speed check through wifi on my Mac it gives me solid readings of 500-550 mbps download and upload speeds. I had a tech come out twice already in which the first time they switch out the ONT box and didn't really see any changes in the occurrence. The second tech that came out had replaced the PACE 5265AC for the BGW210-700 and although I got solid readings through my Mac while performing speedtest.net I was still getting inconsistent speeds on my ethernet wired PS4. Some of the speeds would show normal of 400 DL/200 UL but when performing a second test the speeds drop to 150-200 download speed / 5-8 MBPS Upload speeds. I've tried using my console at a friends and had no issues with the PS4 which tells me it is the internet connection. Any ideas what I should do to fix this issue? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  

Bumping a multi-year old post that is only tenuously related to your issue is not likely to be very helpful.  I would ask if you "us[ed] your console at a friends" for long enough for the issue to surface compared to how much you use it at home.  Or if your friend plays the same games online that you do and if they've ever had anything similar to happen.  Also, from your description, it appears that the problem is limited to the PS4.  Is this true, or is the PS4 the only thing you use much at home.  Perhaps there's an issue between AT&T and Sony's Playstation network?

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

@JefferMC

I understand that bumping an old post probably wasn't the best idea but I'm kinda desperate to get a fix. To answer your question, yes I did play long enough to see that the issue was nonexistent while playing ay my friends house. My opinion is that there is a firewall setting or maybe a port forward setting that is causing packet loss between the PS4 and ATT connection which is causing the lag. I hard wired my Mac yesterday to do a test and I consistently got 925 mbps upload and 923 mbps upload speeds where as with the hardwired PS4 I'm getting at best 300-400 DL speeds and 5-200 mbps upload speeds that is so inconsistent. I did changed a setting aside from doing port forwarding and IP passthrough that helped a lot and it was to disable packet filtering. Although the internet speeds are inconsistent the gameplay was much better until this morning when one of the games I played showed slow play again. Any thoughts on what settings could cause packet loss or the inconsistent internet speeds on the PS4. Thanks for the quick reply! 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.