Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Fiber ONT to Ethernet Switch

Highlighted

Fiber ONT to Ethernet Switch

Hi,

I'm curious about connecting my ONT to a switch. There are two ethernet cables coming out of the wall next to my ONT box that I *believe* are what lead to the two different ethernet connections mounted to the wall in my apartment. I want to do this so that I can hook up these two ethernet cables to the switch and then have internet routed to both areas of my apartment. The ONT box only has one output so without the switch I can only hook up one of the two ethernet cables and therefore only get internet to one of the wall ports in my apartment.

Question: Would this work or is this possible? Any insight/answers or ideas are very much appreciated. Thank you!

Message 1 of 6
ACE - Expert

Re: Fiber ONT to Ethernet Switch

The AT&T Gateway needs to be connected to the ONT via Ethernet.  You can then connect your devices to the AT&T Gateway.  The Gateway has 4 ports for that purpose.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 6

So you're saying I should be able to achieve what I want with:

ONT = WAN = Gateway = LAN = Wall Ethernet 1

ONT = WAN = Gateway = LAN = Wall Ethernet 2

and that will route signal to both areas of my apartment? I actually had this thought right after I posted, but I didn't think about it initially because right now I have ONT = Wall Ethernet 1 = WAN = Gateway so it confused me a little. Thanks for the quick response!

Message 3 of 6
ACE - Expert

You only have one gateway that connects to its one ONT connection.  ONT connects to gateway (red ONT port).  Anything else you want to connect via ethernet is plugged into the free yellow ethernet ports on the gateway.   If you need more ports than that get an gigabit ethernet switch to plug into one of those yellow ports.

This is a public forum and I am a customer just like you. Click kudo if you feel this post is helpful and "Accept as Solution" if it solves your problem.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 6
Employee
Solution
Accepted by (Former Employee)
Accepted by beckyww
‎06-19-2018 5:57 AM

ONT=WAN=Gateway=

... LAN port 1=Wall Ethernet 1

... LAN port 2=Wall Ethernet  2

Requires relocating gateway from Wall Ethernet 1 to ONT location. Will need power for both ONT and gateway is same location. This places the gateway wifi into a wiring closet?

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 5 of 6

Precisely. Yes the ONT location is in a closet but I have a small apartment so I’m hoping WiFi signal isn’t too negatively affected. I appreciate your insight!

Message 6 of 6
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Additional Support