Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
TK4555's profile

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

Sunday, September 30th, 2018 3:21 PM

Closed

Fiber - 1/4 of 1Gbps speed

I see lots of people on here not getting what they should as far as speeds go. I am in that position but I don't have a easy solution like "Don't use WiFi" or "Use Cat5e at least".

There is no reason my connection should be slow, yet it is. ATT can't figure it out so I am hoping there is a clue from someone here that maybe one of their Techs figured out.

For Simplicity I am only really concerned about downstream speeds. Typically since installation I am seeing 230~250 Mbps. I recently came over from Comcast with the 250Mbps tier, but that's what tipped me off initially.

It wasn't any faster than Comcast. Looking deeper I found that indeed the Downstream speed of my new Fiber 1Gbps link was about the same as what I had from Comcast. 

So I started working my way back from my machine to determine the issue:

Scan for Viruses: Clean

Windows Firewall and Defender: Off

NIC Drivers: Latest

BIOS: Latest

Link Speed: Auto-Negotiate - 1Gbps Full Duplex

Cable: Cat6

Cable Test: Pass

Link Quality: Pass

IPV6: Off

I don't see anything in the BGW210-700 that has QoS, I have messed around with the settings in there, turned off the firewall, put my computer in pass through. I also monitored syslog for a few days but there was nothing useful in there that I noticed. ATT tests on the line report full speeds (9xx Down/9xx Up). I don't know how they are testing but I suspect they are testing internally. The loss on the line is "within spec" -18Dbm, a bit high for my taste but it will work. The NID and Router have both been replaced. No change. 

I am testing using several sites and corroborating the results through Steam. All of which point to a download speed of about ~250Mbps. Its really stable there isn't much fluctuation but its about 1/4 of what it should be. 

Hopefully some one has a clue to help, Thanks.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.3K Messages

5 years ago

@TK4555

Can you run the internal RG speedtest and provide results?

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

5 years ago

@gr8sho

I haven done this several times and it *seems* fine.

09/30/2018 08:31:13downstream972.6717024.835
09/30/2018 08:31:07upstream974.6127022.119

I asked how this test is preformed and ATT said this is an internal test. So their internal network seems to be ok, but going out to the public internet is where the loss seems to be occurring. 

ACE - Professor

• 

5.3K Messages

5 years ago

Yeah, so that means you're getting the service you are paying for .

If you connect PC directly to RG with a Cat 5e, you cannot replicate speed?  Att wont debug device specific issues .

It appears this is a more complex issue whereby internal tests are only part of the validation story. 

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

5 years ago

@gr8sho

Internal network != Internet.

I didn't pay for access to ATTs internal network, I pay for internet access. Their device may be getting a good link internally but getting out to the public internet is the issue.

No I have a Cat6 cable directly to the gateway and I am not getting anything close to those speeds. There is an issue somewhere and its not an easy fix.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.3K Messages

5 years ago

@TK4555

Should have read your original post more carefully.  I see you had already posted the speedtest results for the RG, 

Do you have any other devices you can use to test the speed with, a recent smartphone perhaps?

I agree it is suspicious you are capped at 250Mbps.  Hopefully you don't have have some bandwidth limiting app running on your PC.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

5 years ago

@gr8sho

I have another machine with an almost identical hardware configuration that is connected to the same gateway, also with Cat6 that gets the same speed. I do have WiFi devices that are reporting similar speeds, but in reality I don't care much about their performance. The other machine has been my control unit I haven't been changing anything on it and only working on my own machine.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.3K Messages

5 years ago

@TK4555

Ok, at this point it would make sense to have a technician come over so you can demo the issue. The person will also be able to verify for themselves. 

The reason for testing with a recent vintage smartphone like an iPhone is such a device can pull more than 250 and will provide an additional data point. 

Btw, the broadband tab will provide both max sustainable rate as well as the profile setting.  But since the RG speed test is giving max already, something else must be going on. 

Have you also performed the test after factory reset of the BGW?

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

5 years ago

@gr8sho

I have already had a tech out who replaced the RG, still wasn't working so they sent out the guy who installed it, can confirm my findings but they don't know what the issue is. This is a new fiber install and I am (since I last checked a week ago) the only one using it at the moment. I fear the more loaded it becomes the worse things will get, which is why I'm working to get it fixed before it reaches a breaking point. 

Both my iPhone XS Max and Note 8 give me roughtly the same speeds as what my wired machines are telling me.

I have reset the RG and had it swapped out as well along with the NID. 

This is all I see on the page you mention:

Broadband Status
Broadband Connection SourceBroadband ConnectionBroadband Network Type
ETHERNET

Up
Lightspeed

Ethernet Status
Line StateCurrent Speed (Mbps)Current Duplex
Up
full

IPv4 Statistics
Receive PacketsTransmit PacketsReceive BytesTransmit BytesReceive UnicastTransmit UnicastReceive MulticastTransmit MulticastReceive DropsTransmit DropsReceive ErrorsTransmit ErrorsCollisions

The rest are just IPs.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.3K Messages

5 years ago

The XS should pull over 500Mbps.   The trunk you're connected to should have at least 2.4Gbps of throughput.

If you are trailblazing, you'll need to exercise a bit more patience if you can. Escalate the issue higher.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

5 years ago

@gr8sho

Yes I know, that is why I am searching for other avenues to progress this as we seem to be stuck in a "there is no issue, but its not working" loop. The tech I am working with is great and doing a great job. 

But you see the issue, things SHOULD be better but they aren't. It's not a simple issue of "oh you are using Cat5". It's more complex than that. I see lots of people talking about the same issue, yes some are using WiFi and what not and aren't testing properly, but there has to be someone out there who has run into the same issue that could provide a clue. Hopefully at least. 

It's been almost a month. I am not upset because its not fast. It's stable which is why I switched from Comcast. The fact is that it's not working like it should, and I want to get it corrected and I'll do what ever I have to to make that happen. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.