Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Equipment questions for residential AT&T Fiber

Contributor

Equipment questions for residential AT&T Fiber

I'm moving to an apartment soon that has Gigabit AT&T Fiber available (not U-Verse). When I viewed the apartment, I actually got to go see the fiber that was ran into the building (standard outdoor LC fiber waiting to be plugged into a large box in the basement). This is also in the Milwaukee, WI area.

My move isn't for another two months, but I'm just trying to get my equipment squared away (I try to avoid renting equipment if I can). I work in enterprise networking but this is my first time interacting with fiber in residential so I'd like to know how it's typically installed for apartments and if I can use all of my own equipment and whether it’s usually converted up to the unit or before? If it is into the unit as fiber, is it able to be plugged into a normal SFP or does it need a sort of AT&T device in the middle?

In the basement the fiber goes into a large box but I was unable to see how it was distributed from there, i.e. if it’s converted to copper from there. Below is a picture of the handoff point in the unit, which, at the time, I didn’t think to look more closely at but of it helps anyone make out the situation that’s it (this is cropped from a larger image that just happened to have it in it).

IMG_0146.jpg

Thanks for any help!

Message 1 of 5
Employee

Re: Equipment questions for residential AT&T Fiber

Fiber to the unit... ONT installed, ethernet to ATT gateway.

The gateway has 4 ethernet giga ports besides being a dual band wireless network.

Your equipment will sit behind the gateway, depending on model will be either DMZ+ or IP Pass through to connect your equipment in the closest thing of a bridge.

Edit.... Will be ATT Uverse Gigafiber renamed December 2016 to ATT Fiber. Fiber to PFP (normally either 16:1 or 32:1 passive splitter) to distribution terminal to ONT. Ethernet ONT to gateway which authorizes account.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 5
Contributor

Does the ONT and gateway have to be AT&T's, without an option of using my own hardware, unlike cable/DSL modems? I'd like to have as much control over what my network runs off of, similar to work or what I'm able to do with cable or DSL. 

Do you also happen to know what L2 protocol is used coming into the building and to the ONT and AT&T's gateway? Just curious, I imagine not just plain Ethernet? I've only ever had carriers hand off as Ethernet or MPLS so wanting to learn how it's handed off for this use-case.

Message 3 of 5
Employee
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by RyanBreaker
‎01-28-2019 11:45 AM

Must use ATT provided ONT and gateway (599, 5268 or 210-700 based upon what tech has available at time of install). Equipment belongs to and maintained by company. 

As you have 2 months to research, there are many threads on this forum and dslreports/uverse about setting up equipment behind the gateway.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 5
Contributor

AT&T ran several aerial fiber lines on my street. We also have a pfp right across the street what's the fiber comes out of and then goes up a pole and across to our side of the street and then down each side of our street. There have been no terminals put up yet. The last time AT&T was on my street was 2 weeks ago and they ran a steel wire all the way down my street above the fiber lines, does anyone know what their next step is or when terminals maybe put up?

Message 5 of 5
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements...

Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Additional Support