Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Disable DHCP on Arris 5268ac

Highlighted
Teacher

Disable DHCP on Arris 5268ac

I need to disable the DHCP server on the Arris 5268ac that AT&T forces me to use to access their fiber network. I run my own DHCP server/DNS resolver on a Raspberry Pi, using dnsmasq, so that I can get local name resolution on my LAN.

How do I do this? The only online Arris manual I found (http://www.dslreports.com/r0/download/2267100~5694a5d84811c1255c4f12556de77ead/5268AC%20Manual.pdf) is of no help.

Also, is it possible to have the 5268ac operate in the 10.0.0.x address space? That's what my LAN happens to be configured on, and, if possible, I'd rather not go through all the reconfiguration to move it to 192.168.1.x. But there's a warning message on the Arris' DHCP configuration page that says "IP addresses must not start with 10" (gotta love these informative, but utterly non-explanatory, messages; like, why???)

I get that AT&T likes to offer a product for the masses. OTOH, they have service techs, who presumably know what they're doing, install them. And it isn't all that hard to program an interface letting knowledgeable users turn on and off services like DHCP, as well as provide a "restore to factory defaults" procedure to handle those customers who mess things up. 

Message 1 of 11
ACE - Scholar
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by ChairmanMAO
‎04-05-2019 6:40 PM

Re: Disable DHCP on Arris 5268ac

The 5268ac has no way to completely turn off the DHCP server. What you can do is set the address pool to use just one address. One of my phones usually picks up that address. Just set the starting and ending address to the same IP.  All the rest of the IPs will be controlled by your DHCP server. This has worked well for me over the past few years with my Microsoft server  providing the DHCP service.

Another solution is to get a BGW210 gateway. The 210 has a setting to turn off the DHCP server. 

Hope this helps.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 11
Teacher

Thanx, Transponder, for the quick reply. I just got off the phone with an AT&T tech rep who ordered a BGW210 to replace the 5268ac that I currently have. 

Do you happen to know of a source or site that describes the web configuration UI for the BGW210? I wasn't able to find that kind of manual online; all that's available is the installation manual, which doesn't cover configuration of the device through the web interface.

Message 3 of 11
ACE - Scholar

Yes the 210 is newest of the gateways and is still available. You used to be able just to chat or call ATT and they would send one out to you, but that doesn't work anymore. You'll usually end up with another 5268. The only reliable way is to schedule a tech visit. Most of the techs have 210s on their truck. Another way is just to buy one on eBay. That's what I and many others have done although I don't blame you if you don't want to spend money on what ATT should be providing.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 11
Teacher

LOL! I just edited my earlier question to you because I was able to order a replacement thru AT&T tech support. I guess maybe the magic words were "I need to be able to shut off the DHCP server, and the 5268 doesn't let me do that" :).

If for some reason the BGW doesn't arrive I'll follow your advice and schedule a tech call, or just buy one myself.

Message 5 of 11
ACE - Scholar

Well, I wouldn't hold my breath for a 210 to be shipped. Despite customer service promising you a 210, you'll probably end up with another 5268. I've seen posts where customers have requested the 210 four times and each time receiving a 5268, but maybe you'll get lucky.

As far as configuring it to turn off DHCP, it's really easy -- just go to your web interface on the 210 and click on "Home Network". From there click on "Subnets & DHCP". On that menu you will see where it says "DHCP Server Enable". Just toggle that setting to OFF. 

Message 6 of 11
Teacher

Well, you were right. I finally got the new unit...and it was an older 599, not the newer, and promised, 210. I guess reading orders is beyond the skill level of their staff...

Message 7 of 11
ACE - Scholar

From what I understand 210s are in short supply. The warehouse will just pull what they have in stock. From what I've seen in the forums the last few months, the only way to get a 210 from ATT is with scheduled tech visit as they usually have one on their truck.  

Message 8 of 11
Teacher

Fair enough. But if that's the case I don't think their tech support staff should promise a unit they may not be able to deliver.

Message 9 of 11
Teacher

@Transponder, your suggestion on getting a BWG-210 myself (via Amazon) solved the problem. It's a much, much better piece of hardware/software (e.g., the configuration web pages come up instantly, instead of after a noticeable lag), in part because it's more configurable (e.g., I was able to turn off its built-in DHCP in favor of my own).

Thanx for all your help. And have a virtual beer on me 🙂

Message 10 of 11
Tutor

Field tech here. Despite what the Support Staff will tell you they have no idea about stock for Modems, DVRs, or Set Top Boxes. I can't tell you how many dispatches I've been on where the customer was promised :fill in the blank:.

Stock can vary from yard to yard or state to state depending on what's going on. For example Spring 2018 there was a huge DVR shortage in the West. Call centers on the East Coast, or out of the country, did not know of the shortage and kept assuring customers techs would show up with DVRs or even promised better models to the customers not knowing the DVRs on the West Coast were basically gold at that point.

If there's a natural disaster (Flood, Hurricane, Tornado, etc.) equipment is rerouted to the closest supply center to the disaster instead of going out to the usual supply locations.

Heck, AT&T has different manufacture contracts depending on the region: Northern California uses Cisco TV Boxes for U-Verse while Southern California uses Motorola. Every once in a while SoCal techs will get Cisco boxes and vise verse but it's rare.

Message 11 of 11
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Additional Support