Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Can I replace the Gigapower router with my own? I have to reboot constantly.

Announcements...
Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!
Contributor

Can I replace the Gigapower router with my own? I have to reboot constantly.

I've had a problem with the ATT supplied router with GigaPower in NC. I have to reboot it every few days to keep things working. Has anyone tried replacing the ATT gateway with their own router/gateway ? Cloning the MAC address I assume would be needed. But has anyone tried it and had this work ? Or does the ATT provided gateway/router have some special handshake that is required ?

Its not a modem its just an ordinary router as far as I can see. So it seems like it should work.

Message 1 of 8
Professor
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by DennisQWE
‎08-09-2016 4:03 PM

Re: Can I replace the Gigapower router with my own? I have to reboot constantly.

You have to use the att supplied rg. You can connect a third party router behind it though. Look under the faqs for third party equipment to find out how to do it. Try checking your rg settings to see if IPv6 is on. Having it on causes many problems. If that doesn't help, set up a tech visit. If you just had it installed, call the installer. They should have left a phone number. They may be able to troubleshoot it without scheduling a visit.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 8
ACE - Expert

Re: Can I replace the Gigapower router with my own? I have to reboot constantly.

The Gateway has a certificate that the AT&T gear that it talks to has to see.  There is someone who has documented a configuration where he switches out his Gateway for his own router once it has authenticated, but I'm not sure how often you'd have to switch it out, etc.  It's more of a "see what I can do" rather than a practical solution.

As browndk26 says, you can connect your own router between the Gateway and your network in DMZplus/IP Passthrough mode and avoid most of the issues caused by the Gateway's idiosyncrasies.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 8
Teacher

Even better than putting your router in passthrough mode, leave it in router mode and set a different IP subnet.  Set a static WAN IP, or restrict the DHCP pool of the AT&T router to 1 address and let your router pull it.  Doing this allows you to use your own router's LAN management functions (DHCP pool/static, DNS servers, etc.) 

Edit:  NVM, I realized just now that you mean putting the AT&T router into passthrough mode.

Message 4 of 8
ACE - Expert

I disagree with trizzz that his suggestion is somehow better.  His configuration would have both devices performing NAT (i.e. would be a double-NAT configuration) and other routing functions.  The Passthrough mode also gives your router the ability to perform all LAN functions on its LAN side as well as other routing functions (e.g. DHCP, DNS, UPnP, NAT, time of day restrictions)

I do agree that the Gateway and your router should control different subnet addresses.

EDIT: Oh, okay, now that trizz has clarified that he meant that you shouldn't put your router in passthrough (e.g. Access Mode) configuration, I can agree with him.  Smiley Happy

Have the U-verse GATEWAY treat the ROUTER in IP Passthrough/DMZ plus mode).

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 8
Contributor

Thanks for the info. I'll turn off the IP6. I'm mostly intersted in not having to reboot my ATT router when it locks up every few days. I hope that helps. It will take a few weeks to know for sure I guess. Having a secondary router for extra functionality is nice as well but thats not my immediate need.

Message 6 of 8
Tutor

I've had the same issue, then found a post related to surge suppressors being to close.  Mine was.  I moved it about 2 feet away and it stopped locking up on me.

Message 7 of 8

Same here.... It's getting old since I had to only reboot my cable modem once in 12 years. And I now reboot the att device nightly.
Message 8 of 8
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support