Explore & discover

Helpful Links

BGW210-700 ethernet ports on the back don't work - help needed

Contributor

BGW210-700 ethernet ports on the back don't work - help needed

Hi all, 

I'm hoping this is a configuration issue that will be easy to fix with a setting change  - I just don't know what setting it might be. 

We have a bgw210-700 with the fiber service. Wifi works fine (usually - but that's a different post). I'm trying to plug into the router via one of the 4 ethernet ports on the back. None of them will allow traffic out to the internet. I can reach the router management page at 192.168.1.254 but no further.

Troubleshooting so far:

*  I've tried 2 different ethernet cables, one of which is brand new, and I'm not able to get outside.

* I can see my laptop (device I'm using for testing) on the device list page as using "Ethernet LAN-2" or "Ethernet LAN-1" or whatever port I'm plugged in to. So it seems the router can see what's connected to the different ports. 

I'm hoping this is some setting that I'm missing and not a hardware problem with the ports. This is the first time we've tried to plug something into the ethernet ports since we got the router about 3 months ago. Also FWIW, we have a wifi repeater on the network (from AT&T) too but it's not hardwired. Not sure if that matters. 

Any help appreciated. Thanks. 

Message 1 of 4
Scholar
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by NCdave2
‎01-01-2019 5:15 PM

Re: BGW210-700 ethernet ports on the back don't work - help needed

Seems like if your laptop can access the gateway's UI, then the Ethernet is working.  You could try the Diagnostics > Troubleshoot > Run Full Diagnostics to see what the gateway thinks.

It sounds like you've only used one computer to test with.  Do you have anything else you could hook up and try?  I ask because there is some history of this issue being related to certain Ethernet chips and drivers and of course it could be some sort of operating system issue.

Have you power cycled the BGW (and the ONT)?  

If other computers still can't get online, a factory reset of the gateway might be the next step. First make sure you have a list of any customizations you did like port forwarding, changes to the WiFi SSID and password, etc.  Then hold the Reset button on the back of the BGW for at least 10 seconds.  Then release and give it a couple of minutes to go through its startup routines.  Hook up your test system and see what happens.

Tags (1)
Message 2 of 4
Contributor

Thanks for this suggestion. It DID work with another laptop. 

I was using an older one just for testing because I didn't want to mess with my work laptop settings.  Second laptop connected fine and with no problems. 

Happy New Year and thanks for the help! 

Message 3 of 4
Scholar

And a Happier New Year to you since it's working!  Glad it worked out.

Message 4 of 4
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Additional Support