For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
johnpolo's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Monday, March 4th, 2019 7:53 PM

ATT fiber into my EdgeRouter 12

I have ATT coming out Saturday to run fiber to my house. Is there anyway to just plug the fiber directly into my router? What SFP do I need. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

So I'm not getting fiber, but rather a ethernet connection in my house? I was hoping to use the fiber port on my router. I hope at least it's true Gig speed.

Scholar

• 

252 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks for the reply. 

For those of us with Uverse TV service... Do the ethernet-based STB connect to the ethernet ports on the gateway?

Anything special about the ethernet ports on the AT&T gateway? Would love to connect a switch to one of the ports, and then the STBs to ports in the switch instead of directly into the gateway.

So... Fiber => > Gateway => Gigabit Switch => STBs / WiFi / Misc Nodes

Thanks in advance,

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

5 years ago

Stb’s plug into the gateway ports. Keep the stb’s on a separate network. Managed switch to gateway, all stb’s to the switch. In the past the dvr needed to be connected Direct to the gateway. It may work with a managed switch now. Connect another switch to another port and connect other non iptv devices to it. 

If data and iptv run through an unmanaged switch the stb’s won’t work. 

Scholar

• 

252 Messages

5 years ago

Got it. 

Thanks for the reply. Perhaps an AT&T employee can confirm that the STBs will work when plugged into a switch.

Again, thanks for the info.

Cheers,

Scholar

• 

252 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Assuming FTTP, since fiber is in my back yard an they just installed the splice today. I have read elsewhere here that they will need to swap the STBs. Is that a correct assumption?

90067C94-CEE0-4096-BB11-ED77F8A96342.jpeg

1 Attachment

Scholar

• 

252 Messages

5 years ago

Awesome!

I will do the 1000 Gbps service, so it looks like new gateway and DVR based on your input

Thanks again,

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

I did my setup a few months ago with an EdgeRouter 4.  You'll have to plug their modem into your router.  I also had to call support to get them to enable the option for me to use my own router with it.  That being said, I get pretty dang good performance out of it.

54437158_10219005947125599_4866884015853928448_n.jpg55666864_10219005915764815_2860987108682629120_n.jpg

2 Attachments

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

5 years ago

@Neurobit You will lose all recordings on your existing dvr if you get another one. Just something to consider. 

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

5 years ago

@CountFrackula what did support do? You shouldn’t have needed support to do anything to use another router. I hope you weren’t charged for it. 

Scholar

• 

252 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks. Yes, was aware of this.

Good tradeoff though. Current DVR is >5 yrs old and starting to show it's age.

Cheers,

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.