Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
Kirbos's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Friday, September 9th, 2016 2:27 PM

ATT Gigapower: Speed to Expect?

Good morning everyone!

I recently moved into a new house where ATT Gigapower was available. I signed up for the 1Gbps plan, and a technician came out to my house and installed it this past saturday.

I am in the Jackson, Mississippi area. I was wondering what speeds I should be expecting.

I know wireless will vary (I'm getting ~300 up and down on the 5ghz wifi band on my phone), but what about wired connections? I don't have a pc with a gigabit network card, unfortunately. The only thing I have to test the connection speed is a gaming console. I am getting ~500 mbps down and ~400 up with a wired connection to the router (and this varies depending on which speed test site I use -- that's the highest I've gotten, though).

Does anyone have any insight? It very well could be that the network card in the console just isn't the best and I need to test it with a beefier PC with a good network card. Just looking for any input.

• 

25.7K Messages

8 years ago

You're exactly right, if you have access to a laptop/desktop with a network card that can handle 1gig, it will show you your actual speed. 300-500mbps is what most current wireless devices will show.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

8 years ago

Try multiple servers on the different speed test sites as well. Some servers will show lower speed tests than others.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I had the same problem as you have Kirbos, and the problem was related to the router that was behind the ATT router. The ATT router was wired to my netgear nighthawk ac1900 (placed in DMZ) and the PC was wired to the nighthawk. I was getting 500/400.
Then I plugged the PC directly to the ATT router and now I get 950up/750down.
I use http://www.speedtest.net.

This Netgear product is supposed to provide gigabit throughput. But obviously it can't.

All this to say that it might be a limitation of your console even if they advertise that it has a gigabit port.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks for all of the responses!

The ~500 mbps down I was getting was wired to an Xbox One (which is why I was even concerned at all). I can accept the fact that wifi is just going to be limited in the speed it can deliver - just a fact of life. So there's no worries with the wifi speed really.

The XB1 is supposed to have a gigabit card in it (but as Mitouflax said, just because they advertise that it has one doesn't mean that it's good enough to get the full amount).

Regarding using different servers or sites, do you have any you would recommend that are better than others? I've tested using speedtest.net, speedtest.googlefiber.net, and speedof.me. Speedof.me was actually way slower than the others (which I just wrote off as a server limitation).

I'm not getting any service interruptions or weird latency or anything (which makes me think it's probably not a wiring issue or something). Maybe I can find a pc with a good gigabit card to test it with.

Thanks again for all of your responses, everyone.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

8 years ago

I use speedtest.net and try servers in different cities. Dslreports.com has a good speedtest that uses multiple servers.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

8 years ago

A gigabit Ethernet card on a machine that can't procese a gigabit of data is still better than a 100 Mbps card (assuming that machine can process something faster than 100 Mbps).

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Agreed. My current laptop network card only supports 100 mbps, so I can't really test with that. That's why I was testing using the browser on the Xbox (which may not be able to fully process a gbps of data).

I am going to try to get my hands on a pc with a gigabit network card and test results I think. Obviously the xbox network card supports more than 100 since was getting ~500 down. Idk.

Guru

• 

921 Messages

8 years ago

I'm in Raleigh and on a brand new Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 260 with 8 GB of RAM and a SSD I got 900/950 to the AT&T server in Charlotte.

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

8 years ago

@Mitouflax

did you have hardware acceleration turned on your router?

CPU's in consumer grade routers can not push gigabit speeds yet. They can bypass this with a hardware acceleration (sometimes called Cut Through Forwarding CTF).

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Just wanted to update. I finally got my hands on a decent laptop with a gigabit network card in it.

With that laptop (wired) I'm getting ~950 down and ~800 up. So, it seems it was the device I was using to test it, not the connection itself.

Thanks again for all of your responses and help everyone.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.