For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
shiellaco15's profile

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

Sunday, October 8th, 2017 8:23 PM

Does turning off the wifi broadcasting help make your wifi info secured?

where living in a apartment and sometimes when I scan for available wifi it shows the list of available network and the IP address so for ex. when you entered that IP to a browser you will be seeing the network home page and yours/neighbors wifi and password?! so by turning off the wifi broadcasting will this help to make sure your wifi info will be secured??and no one will know it ?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

15K Messages

7 years ago

If you neighbors are running unsecured wifi (i.e., not password protected) that's their problem.  If you are doing the same then that's your problem.  If password protected, you can see the ssid's (names) of those networks but you cannot access them.  Depending on your router model (or maybe it's all routers I am not sure) you can specify not to broadcast your ssid.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Whether the SSID is being broadcast or not offers little in real security as the SSID and network can be discovered by the mischievous with tools irregardless.  Instead, choosing a secure password and secure protocols (WPA2 for instance) for the wireless network are what are most effective in securing the network.  For my network I've given it a simple distinguishable name that is broadcast.  This makes it much simpler to add devices to it and to offer guest access.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.