Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
lrosenman's profile

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

Thursday, December 12th, 2013 6:57 PM

Transfer Cap?

2 questions:

1) with the 300 meg/s service, what's the upload side?

2) What's the monthly or other cap on data transfer if any ?

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

10 years ago

Is the 1Tb a month cap just for download transfers or is it download and upload transfers? Thanks!

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

10 years ago

@bobcats9498 wrote:

Is the 1Tb a month cap just for download transfers or is it download and upload transfers? Thanks!

That's the way the caps they do enforce work, both up and down combined.

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB409045#fbid=5GCsazTJtIQ

How much data is included in my AT&T Internet service?

Residential AT&T High Speed Internet service includes 150 gigabytes (GB) of data each billing period, and residential AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet service includes 250 Gigabytes (GB) of data each billing period. U-verse with Gigapower, where available, includes 1 terabyte (TB) of data each billing period. The data you send and receive each month contributes to your monthly data plan.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks!

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

10 years ago

I just had the 300Mbps "GigaPower" service installed yesterday and can confirm symmetrical upload/download speeds.  Mine measured out at 90Mbps both ways.

-rr

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

10 years ago

@rrinn wrote:

I just had the 300Mbps "GigaPower" service installed yesterday and can confirm symmetrical upload/download speeds.  Mine measured out at 90Mbps both ways.

-rr

Do you have the TV service as well?

If so, are you getting more than 4 streams, and do the streams cut into your internet speeds?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

10 years ago

Do you have the TV service as well?

If so, are you getting more than 4 streams, and do the streams cut into your internet speeds?

I don't have enough experience with the new service yet in order to answer your questions, but will post my results as soon as I do.

-rr

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

With all due respect, 90 is lower than both 120 or 300, so we don't really have a conclusive answer.  We may not be able to get one easily.

Is 90 as fast as your speed test site will go, you think?

Scholar

• 

82 Messages

10 years ago

It depends on how that 90Mbps was achieved.  Was it wired or wirelessly?  That RG will not have 802.11ac in it, it will have 802.11n and even then it will be on the 2.4GHz band AND only be a channel spacing of 20Hz.  40Hz and 2.4GHz does not play nice with only 11 channels when using 20Hz.  In fact, Cisco removed 40Hz channels from their enterprise equipment via software on the 2.4GHz band just because of that.  Other companies did the same and I believe Cisco even did the same on the consumer equipment as well.  When using 2.4GHz and 40Hz channels, you have three channels (1, 6 and 11) that can be used.  The sad fact is, most equipment operating in 20Hz channels only like those same three channels as well.  So there will always be interference in them.

Anyway, 802.11n at 2.4GHz is 130 to 145 (actually 144.4) Mbps depending on the GI.  WLAN is also half-duplex so actually getting 130 or 144.4 Mbps is not going to happen; ever.  So if he was on wireless, 90Mbps is quite good and around what one would expect.  Even 802.11ac you will not see 1Gbps, it will be in the 500Mbps range and that is on 5GHz and with 80Hz channels but can service more than one client at 500Mbps if the AP can support it due to  beam forming.

With the current Gigapower service being 300Mbps and the fastest that 802.11n can support is 300Mbps in the 5GHz band with 40Hz channels, even if they offered the 5GHz band, you still wouldn't see 300Mbps.  Even when the service is 1Gbps (just like another company will offer) even if the RG had 802.11ac you won't see 1Gbps unless you are using 160MHz channels and even then, most consumer equipment will only support 40 and 80MHz channels.  Consumer grade AP's may not even offer 160Hz channels.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I just got service yesterday in Cedar Park, TX. It took a couple of tries to find a server on speedtest.net that could deal with the rates (I used one in Kansas City, MO). The results were: 320.13 Mb/s down and 320.50 Mb/s up. This is with a wired connection.

Update for today: DataShack Kansas City, MO

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

10 years ago

@nullforce wrote:

I just got service yesterday in Cedar Park, TX. It took a couple of tries to find a server on speedtest.net that could deal with the rates (I used one in Kansas City, MO). The results were: 320.13 Mb/s down and 320.50 Mb/s up. This is with a wired connection.

Update for today: DataShack Kansas City, MO

Wow, only two days and it's already degrading.Smiley Wink

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.