Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
Larry42's profile

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

Wednesday, August 2nd, 2017 6:35 PM

How to set up email

I just got my ATT Internet 1000 installed today. Everything seems to be going great, except I can't figure out how to set up and access my new email address. I've gone through the online support and haven't found the key yet. I tried sending an email from my Hotmail account to my new att.net account. I tried to go to the att web email but I get transferred to a Yahoo email, and it says I made a bad request. Here are the instructions I was following, https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/email-support/KM1010436 .

I tried to insert an image, but couldn't figure out how to do that either. Would appreciate some guidance. Thanks.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

7 years ago

When you said you tried to go to the webmail, did you go through start.att.net and click Mail in the upper right?  Could you successfully login with your id (email address) and password?  If so you will see Yahoo in the upper left but it is preceded by the ATT globe icon.  ATT uses Yahoo as their email service provider.

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

7 years ago

Hi. Thanks for the reply. Yes, I started out at att.net, which sent me to start.att.net. When I click on the mail icon in the upper RH corner, it returns this page: https://edit.client.yahoo.com/sbc/register?.scrumb=dwQdmu8gOnA&.done=https%3A%2F%2Fmail.yahoo.com%3F.lts%3D1501782315

which says it's a bad request. Can you help me get past that page?

Expert

• 

15K Messages

7 years ago

Try relaunching your browser to see if that works.

If it still doesn't work, for comparison and as an experiment, try using another browser.

Update:

By the way, just to verify the id and password, ignoring the mail for the moment, can you even log into start.att.net?

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

7 years ago

I've tried both IE11 and Chrome Version 59.0.3071.115, I've rebooted win 10 several times. Same behavior. I should have been more precise in my previous post. If I click on the mail icon while not logged in to my new att.net email address, it takes me to a sign-in window. After filling in my credentials, it takes me to that "bad request" page i mentioned earlier. If I sign in to my account first and then hit the mail icon, it sends me to the same "bad request" page. So no matter which sequence, I always get sent to the same page.

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

7 years ago

In case there's anybody out there. I still need help. I'm still unable to get to my email as described in my op. Would appreciate some help.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

7 years ago

Sorry, your thread slipped by me.  Didn't notice again until tonight  It probably got "lost" in the flood of posts about email problems of one form or another.

I really am not sure what to suggest now but I have one more question.  Did you at any time in the past have a yahoo account?  If so perhaps that's what is confusing the login now.  You may have to go through the process of unmerging that old yahoo account for your att account (I don't know the exact procedure since I never needed to do it).

When all else is lost contact @ATTU-verseCare.  Maybe they can contribute something.

Oh, one final thing from your first post that slipped through the cracks, and for future reference.  You include pictures in these posts by using the camera/photos icon in the toolbar.

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

7 years ago

Hi Professor, thanks for the reply.

No, I've never had a Yahoo anything. I'd never even been on Yahoo until ATT mail sent me there. Since I'm a brand new customer, I presumed the bad request page was because I hadn't set something up properly. I no longer believe that to be the case.

I contacted @attcares on Aug 5th and have not received a reply. I've called 800-288--2020 a cou[ple of times. and have not received satisfactory replies. I'm thinking that once att gets you locked in, they just quit worrying about you. I'm very disappointed. 

Yes, the Insert Photo link works fine now. At the time I wrote the OP, when I clicked on that icon, it came back with a form to fill out with coding and developer information. 

I'm still struggling to understand that it's possible that there is only on way to get to web mail. Just for the heck of it I set up an email client to try to retrieve my email, but that didn't work either. Said my password and user id didn't match. 

If you think of anything else I can try to get my e,mail, I'd appreciate it. In the meantime, I'm just sitting here getting madder and madder. Thanks for keeping me in your thoughts.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

7 years ago

FWIW, see post 5 in this thread.

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks professor. I'd have a better feeling about his reply if I'd have gotten a sense that att is working on their customers' behalf to get ti resolved. It's been going on two weeks now for me, maybe longer for others. 

Question for you professor, When you click on the mail icon on start.att.net what do you get? Do you get the same error message, or is it only some select group of us, e.g. new customers like me.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

7 years ago

Question for you professor, When you click on the mail icon on start.att.net what do you get? Do you get the same error message, or is it only some select group of us, e.g. new customers like me.

I believe it's a subset of users.  FWIW I have an att.net email address.  There have been problem reports in these forums with some users having grandfathered address (e.g., sbcglobal.net).  But in my case I can get to the webmail and have no problems with my Thunderbird client...so far...crossing fingers.  I should not talk about this, I might jinx it!

My main problems with the att sites in general are (a) not remembering I am logged in so I have to log in each time I visit any of the att.net sites that require login (e.g., like the webmail), and (b) some att.net pages not displaying correctly or at all.  But my problems are more related to some "quirks" (corruption?) I have in my Firefox profile and/or my (31) addons (extensions) than with att.net sites themselves.  Since I only see these problems with the att.net web pages it's not worth my time to find the problems or recreating my profile from scratch.  I just live with the repeated logins (don't need to visit the att.net pages that much anyway) and if I really must to see some att.net page that doesn't display I can launch another Firefox that uses a clean profile or just use another browser.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.