Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
gch289's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Tuesday, January 23rd, 2018 11:43 PM

Gigabit Service - 400Mbps up/down

I've had the Gigabit fiber service for about 2-3 weeks now and I'm consistently getting around 400-450 Mbps up/down on all of my hardwired devices. Everything on my network is Gigabit capable and I've tried wiring directly into the RG with the same results. Any other ideas?

Employee

• 

540 Messages

6 years ago

Are you running any real time anti-virus programs?

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

6 years ago

Nope. No anti-virus software, real-time or otherwise. I also tried disabling the macOS firewall on my Mac and the Windows firewall on my windows device. No dice. 😕

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

6 years ago

Update - Based on other community posts I've tried the following:

FYI I have the Pace 5286AC RG. I am using my own ASUS router behind it, the ASUS router is Gigabit capable. I put the ASUS router in DMZplus on the RG.

1. Disabled IPv6 on the Pace RG - no change

2. Set my devices to use Google DNS - no change

3. Set the ethernet ports on the RG to 100BaseT/Full Duplex and retested - got an up down of around 40Mbps

4. Set the ethernet ports on the RG to 10 BaseT/Full Duplex and retested - got an update down of around 4Mbps

I am wondering if the limitation is on the cable that the AT&T installer ran from my ONT to the RG. It is about 30-40 feet and I noticed that it is CAT 5e. Everything else in my network is CAT 6.

Interesting to me is the fact that no matter what settings I use, I am getting right at 40% of the bandwidth I'd expect. Wonder what would happen if I paid just 40% of the monthly bill? 🙂

I'd appreciate any other ideas from folks who are smarter than me in this community! Thanks.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

Hello,

When you say you're seeing 400-450Mbps down/up on your hard-wired devices, are you measuring via speedtests or downloading files? We want to rule out that it is not your storage drive causing the lower speed. Certainly, that wouldn't explain the upload. But for the download, the ssd or hdd can only download as fast as it can write to the drive. Example SSD (Samsung 850 EVO) advertises write speed up to 520Mbps, which may have some overhead.

Assuming everything is working properly, and despite whether you have a gigabit capable SSD to handle sustained 1Gbps ~950Mbps) downloads, speed tests should still show a healthy line at ~940Mbps/~940Mbps.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks for the reply! I'm getting a consistent 400-450 using speed tests.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

Sounds like we ruled out the storage drive.

Let's review:

-AT&T gateway Pace settings look pretty good

-Cat5e is rated at a max length of 328ft and up to 1Gbps, with some overhead should still be able to pull ~940Mbps/~940Mbps as long as the sheath isn't cut open somewhere, exposing the copper to outside interference.

-Post the model of your ASUS router so we can double-check and review all settings and potential suspects within.

-Let's check the model of your Gigabit capable onboard NIC on your laptop/desktop via Device Manager (assuming Windows).

-Prior to running the next speed test, open up Windows Task Manager and navigate to the Performance tab. Observe the CPU and Ethernet graph statistics during the test (is CPU very constrained during that time? etc).

Take care.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks again.

- The router is an ASUS RT-AC68U (not saying it couldn't be my router, but I have also plugged the iMac and the SurfacePro directly into the Pace RG with similar results)

- I have/had several machines hardwired into the router, they all get pretty similar results - They don't list specific manufacturer/model for the network adapters, but they should all be 1Gbps + capable according the Microsoft/Apple specs

- Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (using the Surface Dock) - I actually get the fastest Speedtest on this - up to 600 Mbps at times

- MacBook Pro 15" (2017)

- iMac 27" (Late 2013) - Thru the 1 Gbps ethernet port on an Apple Thunderbolt Display

- Mac mini (2014)

-FWIW, I've run the speed tests in multiple browsers (Safari is the slowest). I also downloaded the Speedtest.net app for both Windows and Mac to rule out browser issues

- I checked the task manager and activity monitor (the macOS equivalent) during a Speedtest, I don't see any noticeable spikes in CPU activity. Slight increases, yes but nothing above 25% - 30% total utilization while the test is running.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

Great feedback so far, and doesn't look promising. So the Pace is properly set to DMZ+ mode on the port to which your ASUS plugs in--good.

Can you post the activity/logs from the Pace during a speed test or after a download? Curious if that will reveal anything. Try your speed test once at very late or very early morning hours. Worst case scenario (and i hope this isn't the case), is that AT&T already oversubscribed/booked the opti-sheath terminal to which your line terminates, and it's already full. Neighbors are possibly on the same time as you and affecting your max speeds, as the overall node is shared i believe at 2.4Gbps/1Gbps, split by 16? Depends on the neighborhood. Do you have an aerial or buried install? If it's an aerial installation, it's worth going outside during the day and looking on the utility pole at the black optisheath terminal with an orange tag next to it, to see how many others are plugged in along side of your line--another theory to rule out.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

6 years ago

Yes, the ASUS is properly set in DMZ+ mode. 

I ran several speed tests at various times of day and night - all produce similar results. 

This morning I ran one at 10:52 am and here are the event and system logs from the Pace at that time...Screen Shot 2018-02-10 at 10.54.31 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-02-10 at 10.54.39 AM.png

I have an aerial install, I haven't been able to venture out and check the line yet, but I will try to do that this weekend. Thanks again!!

2 Attachments

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

6 years ago

Over a month into this now and still no solutions. Does anyone on the forum know how to get ATTCares to respond to a post or a PM? I see them replying to other posts but they seem to be ignoring this one. I've also sent them 3 private messages asking them to help and I haven't gotten any replies. I know it's more difficult to get help from a large company like AT&T, but this is getting out of hand. 🙂 (btw: Thanks to @siggnation for all of the suggestions) I tried every one of them and although they didn't help, at least someone took time to try!)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.