For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
drbobbyk's profile

Mentor

• 

48 Messages

Saturday, November 4th, 2017 4:27 AM

Can I get a static IPv6 /48 assignment?

Hi!

I'm in the process of switching from Charter to AT&T biz fiber.

I have a static block of IPv4 addresses that I will be switching to.

I'm currently using Hurricane Electric for an IPv6 tunnel.  They (HE) assigned me a /48 block of IPv6 addresses.

I'd like to switch to native IPv6 via AT&T.  Can I get a /48 assignment of IPv6 addresses from ATT?  If so, who/how would I ask?

Thanks,

Bobby

Former Employee

• 

422 Messages

6 years ago

Hello @drbobbyk

AT&T has not yet fully transferred over to the IPv6 protocol, Static IPs assigned to services are IPv4.

Mentor

• 

48 Messages

6 years ago

Hi!

Thanks!  I notice that an IPv6 assignment is made to my router so I'm guessing it is dynamic and subject to change?

I will continue with my IPv6 tunnel in the interim.

Thanks,

Bobby

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

Similar situation here - my pace gateway recently switched itself to native IPv6, which is great, but I am unsure about my options for static IPv6.

Currently when one has a static IPv4 block, they can configure their own router (separate from the pace gateway) to connect to AT&T's 6rd gateway. This provides an essentially static address mapping (one /60 IPv6 block per static IPv4), but I wonder how long this will work in the future, since 6rd is being phased out. May be safest to stick with HE for truly static IPv6.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

6 years ago

I've got to ask how is your HE tunnel working? I've had the same setup on TWC/Spectrum for years and recently switched to ATT Fiber and the Pace is actively blocking protocol 41 preventing my HE tunnel from coming up.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

Regarding protocol 41 (6in4) blocking - I have my home router set on a static IP within the range of the pace LAN (192.168.1.x). Then I have a static IPv4 block which I configured in the pace gateway using "Add cascaded router". With that setup, the pace GW doesn't seem to block protocol 41. I did not have to set up any firewall rules for this to work. I only use it to reach the AT&T 6rd gateways though, not going to an external provider like HE, but I don't think this would make a difference ???

Mentor

• 

48 Messages

6 years ago

Hi!

The HE tunnel is awesome!  They allocated a /48 to me, they delegate reverse dns lookups to me for my block, and have been very reliable with low latency.

One issue I ran into was not with HE per see but Netflix.  They started blocking access from HE IPv4 and IPv6 addresses claiming people were using tunnels to get around country license restrictions.  That wasn't my case but a hassle none the less.  So, to work around that, I had to block IPv6 to Netflix addresses to force IPv4.

One last IPv6 issue.  Don't think it's HE though.  I have some systems with static IPv6 allocations from my block.  Servers, for example, and,my desktop.  My desktop host portion (64 bits) is something like ::0:9e.  Some websites are behind a certain brand of security device that blocks my traffic if it doesn't like my IPv6 address format.  Weird.  Never figured out an answer.  If I change my host address to be a eui64 format, everything works fine.

Bobby

Mentor

• 

48 Messages

6 years ago

Hey,

Reread your question.  I haven't tested it yet with my fiber connection.  I'm using a temporary router behind my fiber modem (in cascade mode) while I plan my transition from charter to att fiber.  Turns out, I'm going to build a new router to handle the Gbps fiber link and my 3 gigabit subsets.  I'll post again when I finally migrate.

Bobby

Associated Member

• 

248 Messages

6 years ago

You might have a IPv6 LAN address, but none of the WAN addresses are IPv6

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I have AT&T (Gigapower Fiber) assigned IPv6 assignment however I am wonder if there is way to use a provider independent block, is that possible?

Mentor

• 

48 Messages

6 years ago

Hi!

I'd be very surprised if you could get a provider-independent block.  You could in theory hit up ARIN and get a block but then you'd have to find someone to route it for you.

In general, blocks are only handed out to ISPs.

I'm going to continue using my /48 IPv6 block assigned by Hurricane Electric. 

(I'm having performance problems with my new CentOS router and HE tunnel; 750ms delays over the tunnel.  Not sure why.  Pretty sure its not HE nor AT&T but something weird in my router.)

Bobby

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.