Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
jon.hilbert's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, February 12th, 2018 12:53 AM

ATT Fiber Internet Speed

I have supposedly gigabit fiber at my house in Austin. According to Ookla speedtest, I'm getting 10Mbps download and 300Mbps upload (which is unexpected). This on a wired connection, admittedly with a Netgear 108 switch between my computer and the AT&T gateway, but still...

Since I'm more interested in download than upload, I figure I might as well pay for slower speeds. I'm jealous of the folks in the forum who have recorded any speeds in the 100's of Mbps download speed. I guess I've NEVER gotten that.

Thinking about switching to Google fiber at this point, but would welcome any suggestions about other testing to try. I know I only have copper coming into my house (don't know where the fiber ends), but I'm not willing to pay for "fiber" for 1% of the promised top speed!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Well, seems it was my fault. I had a single slice of CAT5 cable between my computer and the fiber portal. Replacing that with CAT 5e gives me 770Mbps download  😉  Much closer to AT&T's max deliverable claim. I can live with this. 

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

6 years ago

Try replacing it with Cat6.  You may get even better speed.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.