Need to get in touch with a Sales Representative? Talk to a Business Expert HERE .
NancyKnows's profile
Employee

Employee

• 

547 Messages

Friday, April 1st, 2011 6:24 PM

How to uninstall NetClient 8.1.0.3002?

by PaulL » Mon May 03, 2010 12:51 pm

All,
Operating system = Windows 7

Objective: To unistall NetClient 8.1.0.3002
Ultimate objective: to get a NetClient version that will complete the VPN login to IBM resources, from my Win7 machine

I installed NetClient 8.1.0.3002 and it worked fine, but would never complete the VPN connecton to IBM resources.
I tried to uninstall NetClient, using Win7 Control Panel, Programs & Features, Remove. The ATT SW goes through an installation process and ends with the same error each time "Error 1720. There is an error with this Windows installer package....Custom Action RemoveWindowsFirewallException script error - 2147... (doesn't show the rest of the words). I click 'finish' and it rolls back the installation and tells me there was a fatal error.

I contacted the ATT support line. Their recommendation was to use the Windows cleanup utility, but that won't work for Windows 7....I am searching the Windows 7 knowledge forum for something that will help.

Any suggestions on how to uninstall this program will be very much appreciated
thanks, Paul
*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Employee

• 

547 Messages

13 years ago

by obrion » Mon May 10, 2010 3:12 pm

Paul,

Can you trying running the following from an Administrator Command Prompt and attach the uninstall.txt file to this post?

msiexec /x {297563AA-0243-43EC-B5C9-37F92A405D9C} /l*v uninstall.txt

The /l*v (that is a lower case L) enables logging and the log will be written in whatever directory you are in when you run the command.

Robert

Employee

• 

547 Messages

13 years ago

by MrKahuna » Mon May 24, 2010 8:21 am

I'm having the exact same problem. I've attached my uninstall.txt here. Looking forward to a solution.

Thanks

Attachments

1 Attachment

Employee

• 

547 Messages

13 years ago

by obrion » Mon May 24, 2010 12:58 pm

Thank you for the log. I have made a change in 8.1.1 that hopefully will address this issue, or at least log some additional information to help better determine the root cause.

Robert

Employee

• 

547 Messages

13 years ago

by twgarcia » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:29 pm

There any updates on this?

That is nice for the next update,

but as of now I can not update, uninstall or even use global client due to the Error 1720.

Employee

• 

547 Messages

13 years ago

by obrion » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:42 pm

They way to alter an installer is to use a transform, but it does not seem possible to transform an existing installation during uninstall. When one attempts it, the transform is overridden by the previous language transform.

What I have found is that it is possible to replace the cached language transform with one that suppresses the RemoveWindowsFirewallException custom actions that are causing the errors. This is not ideal, but it should help you to be able to uninstall.

Download the file attached to this post (hopefully you can see it and download it, let me know if you cannot), and place it into the "C:\WINDOWS\Installer\{297563AA-0243-43EC-B5C9-37F92A405D9C}" directory on your PC. This file should already exist in that directory, and it may be read only. If it is read only, you will need to remove the read only property and then replace the file. The directory will not be visible; Windows hides the C:\Windows\Installer directory, even if you have turned on show hidden files and folders. After replacing the 1033.MST file, the uninstall will hopefully complete without errors.

Robert

1 Attachment

Employee

• 

547 Messages

13 years ago

by MrKahuna » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:38 am

I tried the new 8.1.1 but I'm still getting the error. I've attached the new uninstall.txt file.

1 Attachment

Employee

• 

547 Messages

13 years ago

by obrion » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:27 pm

This log indicates:

MSI (s) (5C:C8) [09:29:30:366]: Original transform ==> C:\Windows\Installer\{297563AA-0243-43EC-B5C9-37F92A405D9C}\1033.MST
MSI (s) (5C:C8) [09:29:30:366]: Transform we're running from ==> C:\Windows\Installer\ae3b02a.mst

Maybe copying 1033.MST to C:\Windows\Installer\ae3b02a.mst will cause it to use the modified transform thus skipping the failing custom action. It is still executing in the log attached.

Robert

Employee

• 

547 Messages

13 years ago

by MrKahuna » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:14 pm

I tried to do that but it seems that file name (Transform we're running from) is dynamically generated and doesn't exist until you start the install. The name also seems to change each time you run the uninstall.

Employee

• 

547 Messages

13 years ago

by MrKahuna » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:18 pm

OK, I finally got it uninstalled.

We use a different firewall than the built in Windows firewall which is turned off. On a whim I turned the Windows firewall on and tried the uninstall. It worked this time!

Employee

• 

547 Messages

13 years ago

by obrion » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:41 am

Thanks for the update. That is good to know. Version 8.1.1 and later should not run into this, but this is helpful information to post in the Knowledge Base.

Robert

Employee

• 

547 Messages

13 years ago

by kshackley » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:51 am

Robert,
I'm not sure if it is relevant to this users's issue, but I wanted you to know that the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility has been removed from the Microsoft website. See below. I'm doing an uninstall for another reason:

Article ID: 290301 - Last Review: June 25, 2010 - Revision: 11.0
How do I uninstall Office 2003, Office 2007 or Office 2010 suites if I cannot uninstall it from Control Panel?
View products that this article applies to.
This article was previously published under Q290301
Notice
This article previously contained a link to the Windows Installer Cleanup utility (MSICUU2.exe). If you were directed to this article to solve a problem installing a product other than Microsoft Office, please contact your software manufacturer for installation support on the product.

While the Windows Installer Cleanup utility resolved some installation problems, it sometimes damaged other components installed on the computer. Because of this, the tool has been removed from the Microsoft Download Center. The Fix it Solutions in this article provide the ability to fully remove Office 2003, 2007 and 2010 suites without damaging other Windows components.

This article covers Office versions 2003, 2007 and 2010. Additionally, there is an article that covers steps to manually remove Office 2007. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
971179 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971179/ ) How do I uninstall the 2007 Office suites if I cannot uninstall it by using the "Add or Remove Programs" feature?

Employee

• 

547 Messages

13 years ago

by obrion » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:05 am

Thanks for this information. We will need to look into this and update the article.

Robert
Not finding what you're looking for?