Explore & discover

Helpful Links

AGNC v9.3.x gets heartbeat error 7 minutes after connecting

Contributor

AGNC v9.3.x gets heartbeat error 7 minutes after connecting

PC is Win7 64bit  IBM image, connecting to AT&T network.  This issue has be occurring for several weeks. Upgraded AGNC from 8.7.2 to v 9.3.2 and it continues to get heart beat error 7 minutes after connecting to ATT network. 

Have tried checking the box for ephemeral source ports for IPSec under VPN Details - no change

Installed a replacement router from ISP (Verizon FIOS) - still does the exact same behavior.

Support log is attached.  Any assistances or suggestions are greatly appreciated as user can not stay connected to the ATT network.

Message 1 of 10
Employee
Solution
Accepted by Anonymous
Accepted by Anonymous
‎08-26-2015 1:25 AM

Re: AGNC v9.3.x gets heartbeat error 7 minutes after connecting

Can you please send us your McAfee information?    Right click on the McAfee icon in your system tray and select About.  Click on Copy to Clipboard and paste the information in this post. 

Thank you.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 10
Contributor

Here is his info.  VPN ID is : ks086h

----------------------------

System Information

Computer Name: IBMADM-KS086HY

McAfee Host Intrusion Prevention

Version number: 8.0

Build date: Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Build Number: 8.0.0.1981

License Type: Licensed

Expiration Date

Language: Automatic

Security Content Version: 8.0.0.5210

Security Content Created On: Wednesday, November 06, 2013

Patch: 1

McAfee Agent

Version number: 4.6.0.3262

Managed

Last security update check: 12/10/2013 10:12:36 AM

Last agent-to-server communication: 12/10/2013 9:41:08 AM

Agent to Server Communication Interval (every): 3 hours

Policy Enforcement Interval (every): 1 hour

Agent ID: {2768B855-DEA9-4F3B-8939-D87E49F5642C}

ePO Server/Agent Handler

DNS Name: epo03.cso.att.com

IP Address: 135.201.119.26

Port Number: 880

DNS Name: webepo.cso.att.com

IP Address: 144.160.230.122

DNS Name: NCCHAR9EPOXXA01.ITServices.sbc.com

IP Address: 135.201.119.26

System Information Reporter

Version number: 1.0.0.188

Language: English (United States)

McAfee SiteAdvisor Enterprise

Version number: 3.5.0.724

Language: Multiple

Service Pack

Version: 1

Install Date: 10/29/2013 7:47:16 AM

Hotfixes

Version: 809552

Install Date: 10/29/2013 7:47:54 AM

McAfee VirusScan Enterprise + AntiSpyware Enterprise

Version number: 8.8.0 (8.8.0.975)

Build date: 8/15/2012

Anti-virus License Type: licensed

Scan engine version (32-bit): 5600.1067

Scan engine version (64-bit): 5600.1067

DAT version: 7284.0000

DAT Created on: 12/9/2013

Number of Signatures in extra.dat: 0

Name of threats that extra.dat can detect: None

Buffer Overflow and Access Protection DAT version: 657

Installed Patches: 2

Installed Modules:

Copyright © 1995-2012 McAfee, Inc.

All Rights Reserved.

www.mcafee.com

Message 3 of 10
Tutor

Bumping this up. I have AGNC 9.6.0, and it disconnects after exactly 7 minutes. I don't have McAfee on the system (had to install the latest version of AVG antivirus, to get past the "you need an antivirus to connect to VPN)

Message 4 of 10
Scholar

Hello, can you please attach an AGNC Support log to this post.  Go to Help & Create Support Log, attach the entire zip file.

What version of AVG did you install?

Thank You

Message 5 of 10
Tutor

Attaching the logs. The version of AVG is 2015.0.5941 (latest antivirus available from their website). I also tried Kaspersky's Total Security (again, the latest current version), but it was not considered to be an antivirus, so AGNC refused to connect. 

Message 6 of 10
Scholar

Hello,

We are seeing this message in the logs - A VPN status message was received: '!Error 227 Missed heartbeat with VPN server.

It appears as though you are no longer able to reach the VPN server when you are dropped.

Is it possible to try your connection from another location?

You may also double check that VPN traffic is being allowed with any Firewall you have on your Network.

The VPN server IP is 144.160.133.23. You can run a continuous ping from a command prompt to see if packets are being dropped when the issue occurs.

Ping -t 144.160.133.23, This will help to show if you are having Internet connection issues.

Thank You

Message 7 of 10
Tutor

So, I can ping the VPN server IP while VPN is not connected. Once the connection is established, the pings start to timeout, and don't come back until the connection is dropped. It does not seem to be the internet connectivity issue, since there is another machine on the local network that goes through the same link to the same VPN server and is fine.

With regards to the firewall -- the traffic must be allowed, since I can connect, and the connection stays up for the first 7 minutes. I can run wireshark, but what do I even look at? What could possibly drop network connection after 7 minutes? (The reason I keep mentioning the number is that it is so specific -- there is no randomness. As soon as connection time counter on the AGNC status bar reaches 7:00, the connection is dropped.

Oh, and one more thing -- AGNC runs inside a VM (VMWare Workstation, both host and gues are Windows, the networking is "bridged, automatic"). This exact setup was working without any issues for a long time.

Message 8 of 10
Scholar

Hello, are you connecting at a Corporate Office or at home?   The other PC that is connected to AGNC, is this another persons PC?

Can you export event viewer on the PC having the heartbeat error?

I will send you a private message so you can provide this information to me directly.

Thank You

Message 9 of 10
Tutor

To close the loop on this. In my case the problem went away after I switched the network type in VMWare settgings for the machine from "Bridged" to "NAT". At this time I don't have the energy to figure out why doesn't bridged networking behave correctly. It could potentially be related to multiple copies of antivirus software that were installed on the host machine at one time or another.

Message 10 of 10
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Traveling abroad? Everything AT&T Business customers need to know about International travel and plans is right here. Click Here for the details.

Additional Support