What is happening with 3G?
breball's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, June 6th, 2015 4:24 PM

why is my phone hanging up?

I have a galaxy s6 which is brand new. I have WiFi and full service with a microcell and my phone hangs up on every phone call after maybe 2 minutes. I need this fixed! Please help!

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

Does your phone actually hang up or is the call dropped? There have been lots of reported problems with the Samsung S6 (including MicroCell problems) so we need more information than just your phone is hanging up.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I am having the same issue. I just received my microcell today. It is hooked up in the adjacent room. It is plugged into a Netgear Nighthawk wireless router. Both of the 2 calls that I've made so far have dropped mutliple times. 

Edit: I am using a brand new Galaxy S6 Active.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

We need more information.

Is your MicroCell brand new, in other words did you purchase it from AT&T?

Have you made sure that your router meets the minimum router requirements as given in the setup instructions and the Tech Guide (see link in my sig)?

Is your internet connection DSL or cable?

What does the light pattern look like on the MicroCell?

We have a longer list of questions but let's start with those.

Edit: Android phones have a long history of not playing nice with the MicroCell but it's too early to say that it's the phone. My guess is that it has something to do with the setup and/or ISP but we don't know until you answer the questions above.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Microcell is brand new. It was sent to me directly from AT&T.

Hi-speed Cable Ethernet - DHCP is enabled.

Trying to find a way to move the Microcell closer to the window. 

Light pattern on Microcell is solid green.

I'll check back in when I've done the rest of my discovery work on the ports and configs.

Thanks!

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

If all the lights are solid green (power, ethernet, GPS, and 3G) then you are connected to the AT&T Mobility Servers and should be good to go.

The setup instructions for the MicroCell state that you need to be within 18" of a window with an unobstucted view of the sky. If the GPS light is solid green then you have acquired GPS lock and your account should be activated. You should have received a text from AT&T that says activation was complete and/or your myAT&T MicroCell page status indicator should say you are activated.

Have you received any error message?

Speed is only relevant in that you need to maintain at least a 3.0Mbps download and a 512kbps upload on a clean line.

If your phone connects but the calls drop or the voice quality is poor, that's usually indicative of an ISP issue (either poor line quality or a hardware configuration issue). Your internet can be fine but if the line quality for VoIP is poor, you're going to have call issues, and only your ISP can fix the line quality. Who is your ISP?

Refer to my Tech Guide or the setup instructions for the minimum router requirements. If you can't confirm them you'll need to check with your ISP or router mfr on how to do that because AT&T and us can't. There are just too many routers in the wild for us to keep up with.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I have the exact same problem. Had been using an S4 and an S5 without any issue on the same Microcell (full green lights, all the time) for more than the past 6 months.  Upgraded to an S6 two weeks ago and within the first 5 minutes of every call, voice quality declines to spotty and then it drops completely.  Since I am within my 30 days, am thinking I may need to downgrade back to an S5 or over to another brand.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

From your description, it would appear to be the new phone. Especially if the older Android-based phones worked. Andorid is open source, and that is probably why so many have issues, but being as it is open source, you may have more phone setting options available to you that will allow the phone to work more reliably. There isn't a lot that AT&T can do to "correct", or should I say tweak the Android OS to work with the MicroCell. That's the phone mfrs responsibility. If you have any AT&T specific apps on your phone you may try to disable them and see if that helps.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

Turn off enhanced lte services in the mobile data menu.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76

Thanks for jumping in and the suggestion.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Turning off the enhanced 4G LTE feature in the Mobile Settings menu seems to have resolved it.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.