For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
VTAT1133's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Thursday, August 10th, 2017 10:12 PM

voice recognition for texting no longer works

I had one bar on my iPhone 6 in my house and added the MicroCell.. Now I have 5 bars but the voice recognition for texting takes forever to produce a text message.. I use texting all the time and have to unplug the unit for texting to work with voice recognition in a reasonable manner..

Any ideas?

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

7 years ago

@VTAT1133 - That's a new one. Do you have WiFi enabled? Being as you have an iPhone 6 you should consider using WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) instead of the MicroCell. Call quality and reliability is much better. If you don't need the MicroCell for other phones that are not capable of WiFi-C, that would be the way to go.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

That's a great insight. I bought the MicroCell for my girlfriend's iPhone. I use Android and WiFi calling all the time. I will check into her phone a bit, give it a try, and then sell the MicroCell!  Thanks.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

7 years ago

@VTAT1133 - if that works, and you sell the MicroCell, please go to your myAT&T MicroCell Settings page and deactivate the MicroCell from your account. That way someone else can use it because it will no longer be tied to your cellular account.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

What a great forum and thoughtful responses.. One of the main reasons I went to the MicroCell was so my girlfriend's iPhone wouldn't have to work so hard to talk to a cellular tower. Now that I have Wifi enabled on her phone, I still have one bar on her phone.. It is my understanding that the phone puts out far more "radiation" and radio frequency talking to a distant tower (one bar) vs talking to a tower with five bars. I assume that even if I am talking/texting on Wifi, I still have the problem of the phone putting out the maximum energy to try to stay connected to the distant tower. Any way to manage this issue other than to keep the phone away from her head? I assumed I would also have much better battery life with five bars talking to the MicroCell.. Thanks.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

7 years ago

@VTAT1133 - to use WiFi-C (WiFi Calling), you either need to disable the MicroCell (disconnect power) or put the phone in Airplane Mode to disable the phone's cellular radio so that it can only connect to your WiFi. If you don't need the MicroCell for any other non-WiFi-C capable phones I would use WiFi-C exclusively when at  home and not even bother with a MicroCell.

When using WiFi-C, there is no tower interaction as all calls etc go thru your WiFi connection via your internet and on to the AT&T Mobility servers. The same is true for the MicroCell. All calls are handled by the 3G signal from the MicroCell, thru your internet connection and on to the AT&T Mobility servers.

The "radiation" is probably no more harmful that putting a phone next to your ear, regardless of the how it is connected, and talking. As far as managing, just use the Speaker Phone option is you're concerned about having a phone too close to her heard.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

Keep in mind that while using WiFi Calling your phone's cell tower signal strength indication is meaningless.  Your phone is using WiFi and the internet to connect your call.  You should be looking at the WiFi signal strength indicator on your phone to judge your signal strength instead.  While cell phones can vary their power output to communicate with low signal strength towers, this is not the case with the WiFi radio in your phone.  If your phone is connected to WiFi Calling, it's my understanding that it isn't broadcasting on the cellular frequencies at the same time.

As far as voice-recognition texting, remember that the digital conversion of your voice to text is not done on your phone.  Your voice is transmitted to servers where the voice-to-text conversion is done and the text transmitted back to you.  If your phone is connected to the Mcell, you are limited to 3G speeds which for data run up to 3.1 Mbps with an average speed range between 0.5 to 1.5 Mbps.  The voice-to-text digital conversion can time out if your bandwidth is at the low end of the speed range.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks for the insight.. 
Running a little behind..

🙂

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

7 years ago

You're welcome, from both of us.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.