setting up multiple MicroCells in one house with one router

Teacher

setting up multiple MicroCells in one house with one router

I have a bit of a complicated set up at my house. In order to get a wifi network to cover my entire house I have had to use poweline adapters from my main router to extend the network wo the other end of my house where I have set up an accesspoint that covers the other side of my house. 

In all of the years I have had att I have never had service at my house so as soon as the mcell came out I got it. It works great if you are in really close proximity to it. So I would like to add another mcell to the other end of my house. 

My current set up is: the modem connected to my apple airport router and then to my mcell. Then I have a powerline adapter connected to my router than extends the network to the other end of my house where another powerline adapter is connected to my apple airport extreme which is set up as an access point. 

Is there any way to connect a second mcell to my apple airport router acting as an access point at the other end of my house?

I am also open to any other slution anyone has to setting up a second mcell. 

Message 1 of 71 (6,581 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: setting up multiple MicroCells in one house with one router

Yes, the second MicroCell. It might not be getting an ip address assigned to it.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 31 of 71 (1,392 Views)
Teacher

The only way I know how to check to see what is connected to a specific router is via airport utility - it shows the clients connected. 

The first router - the base station - doesnt even show the 1st mcell connected to it - yet it works perfectly fine. 

I dont know how to check to see if the second mcell has an IP address assigned...

Message 32 of 71 (1,392 Views)
ACE - Professor

Do you have your 4 AC routers set up in roaming mode?

Specifically:

The AC that is your base station, is Connection Sharing set to "Share a public IP address"?

Do you have the other 3 AC's Connection Sharing set to "Off (Bridge Mode)?

Have you configured all 4 ACs to have the same Wireless Network Name, the same Wireless Security, the same Wireless Password?

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 33 of 71 (1,380 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Master

Launch Airport Utility 5.6 (I don't like 6.3.1). Hold down the Option button and double click on the Base Station. Then it's Advanced - > Logs and Statistics -> DHCP Clients. There you can find your devices by MAC address.

Message 34 of 71 (1,376 Views)
Teacher

Do you have the other 3 AC's Connection Sharing set to "Off (Bridge Mode)?

Have you configured all 4 ACs to have the same Wireless Network Name, the same Wireless Security, the same Wireless Password?

Yes, the other 3 AC's are set to "Off (Bridge Mode)".

All 4 are set up with the same wireless network name, same wireless security and same password. 

It is one network. 

Message 35 of 71 (1,350 Views)
Teacher

I have Airport Utility 6.3.1 installed.

When holding down Option and double clicking - it brings up a summary tab showing info - it shows "wireless clients" - there is an ipad connected and "HP3D225B" which I assume is my HP printer.

Those are the only 2 clients connected to the base station at this time. No sign of the 1st Mcell that works perfectly.

Message 36 of 71 (1,351 Views)
ACE - Master

[ Edited ]

That's one of the reasons I've stayed with Airport Utility 5.6. I haven't been able to find the DHCP client list in 6.3.1. I'll have to research that. I think the MAC address is listed as Ethernet ID if using a wired connection.

Hmmm, as a followup, it appears that the Logs and Statistics tab was removed in 6.x completely so it only displays the WiFi connected devices, not the wired ones. There is another utitlity called iNet that is supposed to work with the Apple routers and displays the name and other statistics of wired devices. I haven't used that utilty but may play around with it tonight. And if you are, or decide to, run Mavericks (10.9.x), Airport Utility 5.6 won't run under it without a special "launcher" to get it to work Smiley Sad

Message 37 of 71 (1,346 Views)
Teacher

Ya, Im already on 10.9.2 so I guess it wont work for me...
Message 38 of 71 (1,341 Views)
ACE - Professor

I don't know if this holds true with Apple but when I look at my connected wireless devices list on my router admin web page, it will not list any devices connected to my range extender by name or IP address.  Instead, it lists the same IP address that the range extender has been assigned for every device that is connecting to my network through the range extender.

Not that this helps with your problem but I thought I'd mention it FWIW.

Message 39 of 71 (1,331 Views)
ACE - Master

[ Edited ]

Now that I think about it, I could see the second MicroCell not showing up in the DHCP page because it's behind the second router and that's who router number one is seeing. Maybe accessing router number 2 directly would show the MAC address of the second router but he still needs a utility to do that.

I forget but is there anything else connected to the second router besides the MicroCell?

I just looked up iNet. It's an $8 app but it does work with 10.9.2 and displays the MAC addresses of ethernet connected devices.

Message 40 of 71 (1,327 Views)
ACE - Professor

See?  I'm worth something!

Message 41 of 71 (1,322 Views)
ACE - Master

..... the beer is in the mail Smiley Wink

Message 42 of 71 (1,319 Views)
Teacher

I forget but is there anything else connected to the second router besides the MicroCell?

No, there is nothing else connected to the second router other than the Mcell. 

I spoke to someone at ATT technical support... They said there is no way to get the second mcell to work via my configuration and that an mcell has to be connected to the router that is connected to the modem...

Any thoughts on this?

Message 43 of 71 (1,313 Views)
ACE - Master

Hmmm, the MicroCell does need some sort of wired connection to the router (and to the modem) so that could be your problem. Some have tried PowerLine Adapters (ask Avedis) but they don't seem to be reliable. A network extender may be a better choice.

Message 44 of 71 (1,305 Views)
Teacher

My network was set up with powerline adapters before - the second mcell never worked.

Arent my additional AC routers "network extenders"?
Message 45 of 71 (1,301 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support