What is happening with 3G?
daclarkjr's profile

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

Tuesday, November 12th, 2013 1:05 AM

setting up multiple MicroCells in one house with one router

I have a bit of a complicated set up at my house. In order to get a wifi network to cover my entire house I have had to use poweline adapters from my main router to extend the network wo the other end of my house where I have set up an accesspoint that covers the other side of my house. 

In all of the years I have had att I have never had service at my house so as soon as the mcell came out I got it. It works great if you are in really close proximity to it. So I would like to add another mcell to the other end of my house. 

My current set up is: the modem connected to my apple airport router and then to my mcell. Then I have a powerline adapter connected to my router than extends the network to the other end of my house where another powerline adapter is connected to my apple airport extreme which is set up as an access point. 

Is there any way to connect a second mcell to my apple airport router acting as an access point at the other end of my house?

I am also open to any other slution anyone has to setting up a second mcell. 

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

10 years ago

The only way I know how to check to see what is connected to a specific router is via airport utility - it shows the clients connected. 

The first router - the base station - doesnt even show the 1st mcell connected to it - yet it works perfectly fine. 

I dont know how to check to see if the second mcell has an IP address assigned...

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

Do you have your 4 AC routers set up in roaming mode?

Specifically:

The AC that is your base station, is Connection Sharing set to "Share a public IP address"?

Do you have the other 3 AC's Connection Sharing set to "Off (Bridge Mode)?

Have you configured all 4 ACs to have the same Wireless Network Name, the same Wireless Security, the same Wireless Password?

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

Launch Airport Utility 5.6 (I don't like 6.3.1). Hold down the Option button and double click on the Base Station. Then it's Advanced - > Logs and Statistics -> DHCP Clients. There you can find your devices by MAC address.

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

10 years ago

Do you have the other 3 AC's Connection Sharing set to "Off (Bridge Mode)?

Have you configured all 4 ACs to have the same Wireless Network Name, the same Wireless Security, the same Wireless Password?

Yes, the other 3 AC's are set to "Off (Bridge Mode)".

All 4 are set up with the same wireless network name, same wireless security and same password. 

It is one network. 

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

10 years ago

I have Airport Utility 6.3.1 installed.

When holding down Option and double clicking - it brings up a summary tab showing info - it shows "wireless clients" - there is an ipad connected and "HP3D225B" which I assume is my HP printer.

Those are the only 2 clients connected to the base station at this time. No sign of the 1st Mcell that works perfectly.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

That's one of the reasons I've stayed with Airport Utility 5.6. I haven't been able to find the DHCP client list in 6.3.1. I'll have to research that. I think the MAC address is listed as Ethernet ID if using a wired connection.

Hmmm, as a followup, it appears that the Logs and Statistics tab was removed in 6.x completely so it only displays the WiFi connected devices, not the wired ones. There is another utitlity called iNet that is supposed to work with the Apple routers and displays the name and other statistics of wired devices. I haven't used that utilty but may play around with it tonight. And if you are, or decide to, run Mavericks (10.9.x), Airport Utility 5.6 won't run under it without a special "launcher" to get it to work Smiley Sad

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

10 years ago

Ya, Im already on 10.9.2 so I guess it wont work for me...

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

I don't know if this holds true with Apple but when I look at my connected wireless devices list on my router admin web page, it will not list any devices connected to my range extender by name or IP address.  Instead, it lists the same IP address that the range extender has been assigned for every device that is connecting to my network through the range extender.

Not that this helps with your problem but I thought I'd mention it FWIW.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

Now that I think about it, I could see the second MicroCell not showing up in the DHCP page because it's behind the second router and that's who router number one is seeing. Maybe accessing router number 2 directly would show the MAC address of the second router but he still needs a utility to do that.

I forget but is there anything else connected to the second router besides the MicroCell?

I just looked up iNet. It's an $8 app but it does work with 10.9.2 and displays the MAC addresses of ethernet connected devices.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

See?  I'm worth something!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.