setting up multiple MicroCells in one house with one router

Teacher

setting up multiple MicroCells in one house with one router

I have a bit of a complicated set up at my house. In order to get a wifi network to cover my entire house I have had to use poweline adapters from my main router to extend the network wo the other end of my house where I have set up an accesspoint that covers the other side of my house. 

In all of the years I have had att I have never had service at my house so as soon as the mcell came out I got it. It works great if you are in really close proximity to it. So I would like to add another mcell to the other end of my house. 

My current set up is: the modem connected to my apple airport router and then to my mcell. Then I have a powerline adapter connected to my router than extends the network to the other end of my house where another powerline adapter is connected to my apple airport extreme which is set up as an access point. 

Is there any way to connect a second mcell to my apple airport router acting as an access point at the other end of my house?

I am also open to any other slution anyone has to setting up a second mcell. 

Message 1 of 71 (6,428 Views)
Teacher

Re: setting up multiple MicroCells in one house with one router

I am actually going to be upgrading everything I have. New power line adapters with 600Mbps (the fastest I can find). And the new Apple Extreme AC routers.

What do you think about the Apple ACs?
Message 16 of 71 (5,787 Views)
ACE - Master

Good info Avedis53. It's nice to have backup Smiley Wink

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 71 (5,785 Views)
Teacher

Ya, Im not at all concerned with the mcells handing off calls from one to the other.

Message 18 of 71 (5,783 Views)
ACE - Master

daclarkjr wrote:
I am actually going to be upgrading everything I have. New power line adapters with 600Mbps (the fastest I can find). And the new Apple Extreme AC routers.

What do you think about the Apple ACs?

The reviews seemed to be mixed from what I've read. I've been very happy with my AEBS (gen 4) so even though your needs are pusing the limits somewhat, I think it would be better than what you have now. It's not so much the power output of the PowerLine Adapters though, it's the condition of the electrical wiring betweens points A and B, what other devices are using that line, etc. that's the sticking point.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 19 of 71 (5,782 Views)
Teacher

Ok.

So back to my original question - connecting a second mcell to my extreme access point shouldn't be a problem?
Message 20 of 71 (5,778 Views)
ACE - Professor

Keep in mind that the maximum bandwidth claimed by the Powerline adapter will be affected by the AC wiring in the house.  So a 600 Mbps Powerline Adapter, may not ultimately connect at that speed.  Still, that speed will most likely be greater than what an AE can provide.

I see that Apple has upgraded their Airport Extreme Gen 5 to the Airport Extreme AC (Gen 6), which is suppose to provide faster data transfer and have a greater range due to a better antenna array.  Have they increased output power?  I can't find any information about that.

Connecting your second Microcell to your AE won't be a problem.  Whether the AC system in your home is pristine enough to not cause dropped connections across the Powerline connection won't be known until you try it.

Message 21 of 71 (5,777 Views)
Teacher

Yes AC has replaced N and is the fastest wifi you can get. Im not sure if they have increased the output power.

Ok, I will try it out in the next couple of weeks and let you know how it works.
Message 22 of 71 (5,773 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Master

daclarkjr wrote:
Ok.

So back to my original question - connecting a second mcell to my extreme access point shouldn't be a problem?

You can connect your second MicroCell to the access point but as Avedis53 and I pointed out, that's not the issue. It's using the PowerLine adapter that may be the issue because or electrical wiring conditions. All you can do is try. If your line is clean and interference-free it may work just fine. If you have a refrigerator for example on the same circuit  you may have issues.

Message 23 of 71 (5,773 Views)
Teacher

Ok guys - sorry its been a while - but I finally had some time to change out my network. 

I have a total of 4 Apple AC Airport Extreme's making my network.  

This is how its set up: 

1. modem

connected to 

2. Apple AC router (base station) - (1st mcell is connected via ethernet)

connected wirlessly 

3. 2nd Apple AC router

connected wirelessly

4. 3rd Apple AC router (where I am trying to connect the 2nd mcell - plugged directly in via ethernet)

connected wirelessly 

5. 4th Apple AC router. 

The network works perfectly. Im getting 65mb down and 30mb up. 

The 1st mcell works perfectly and has for years. The 2nd mcell is where I am having all of the issues - it gets the GPS lock - but wont activate. I dont get any error messages via att.com - it simply says - activation in progress. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Message 24 of 71 (4,829 Views)
ACE - Professor

[ Edited ]

Off the top of my head, given the multiple routers in your home network, I would suspect your problem could be double NAT.  The Mcell doesn't play well when more than one device in your network is assigning network IP addresses.

Is the router that you have your 2nd Mcell plugged into communicating with the router that is hard-wired to your modem or is it daisy-chained?  Is your first router connected to the modem in bridge mode?

From what I recall, the AE will usually give an alert when it detects double NAT but I'm not sure. 

Message 25 of 71 (4,820 Views)
ACE - Master

Does your router see it based on its MAC address?

Message 26 of 71 (4,819 Views)
ACE - Professor

Otto....quit posting when I'm posting!!!

Message 27 of 71 (4,816 Views)
ACE - Master

Sorry Smiley Sad You know how us old folks are.....

Message 28 of 71 (4,793 Views)
Teacher

No Double NAT issue.

Only the base station assigns IP addresses.  

Message 29 of 71 (4,780 Views)
Teacher

Does your router see it based on its MAC address?

Not sure how to check this...? And are you referring to the second mcell?
Message 30 of 71 (4,778 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support