Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 11, 2013
5:05:37 PM
View profile
setting up multiple MicroCells in one house with one router

I have a bit of a complicated set up at my house. In order to get a wifi network to cover my entire house I have had to use poweline adapters from my main router to extend the network wo the other end of my house where I have set up an accesspoint that covers the other side of my house. 

In all of the years I have had att I have never had service at my house so as soon as the mcell came out I got it. It works great if you are in really close proximity to it. So I would like to add another mcell to the other end of my house. 

My current set up is: the modem connected to my apple airport router and then to my mcell. Then I have a powerline adapter connected to my router than extends the network to the other end of my house where another powerline adapter is connected to my apple airport extreme which is set up as an access point. 

Is there any way to connect a second mcell to my apple airport router acting as an access point at the other end of my house?

I am also open to any other slution anyone has to setting up a second mcell. 

I have a bit of a complicated set up at my house. In order to get a wifi network to cover my entire house I have had to use poweline adapters from my main router to extend the network wo the other end of my house where I have set up an accesspoint that covers the other side of my house. 

In all of the years I have had att I have never had service at my house so as soon as the mcell came out I got it. It works great if you are in really close proximity to it. So I would like to add another mcell to the other end of my house. 

My current set up is: the modem connected to my apple airport router and then to my mcell. Then I have a powerline adapter connected to my router than extends the network to the other end of my house where another powerline adapter is connected to my apple airport extreme which is set up as an access point. 

Is there any way to connect a second mcell to my apple airport router acting as an access point at the other end of my house?

I am also open to any other slution anyone has to setting up a second mcell. 

setting up multiple MicroCells in one house with one router

70 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(70)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2013 5:21:20 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by OttoPylot on Nov 11, 2013 at 5:22:33 PM

You can setup a second MicroCell is the same location but PowerLine Adapters are very problematic for some. I don't recommend the use of them. If they work for you, that's great but you may have problems if one of the circuits is noisier than the other one.

As far as using a MicroCell as an access point for another MicroCell I'm not sure if that's possible. The 2nd MicroCell would function just like the first one, iow, you'd need access to the sky for GPS lock (which can be done with an extension antenna if a window is not close by) and go thru the entire initialization process.

Under ideal conditions, the "range" of the MicroCell is about 5000 sq feet so maybe there's a way to place your current MicroCell so that it gives you better coverage in your house.

BTW, you double-posted so I'll ask the mods to remove one of your posts so as to not confuse anyone.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

You can setup a second MicroCell is the same location but PowerLine Adapters are very problematic for some. I don't recommend the use of them. If they work for you, that's great but you may have problems if one of the circuits is noisier than the other one.

As far as using a MicroCell as an access point for another MicroCell I'm not sure if that's possible. The 2nd MicroCell would function just like the first one, iow, you'd need access to the sky for GPS lock (which can be done with an extension antenna if a window is not close by) and go thru the entire initialization process.

Under ideal conditions, the "range" of the MicroCell is about 5000 sq feet so maybe there's a way to place your current MicroCell so that it gives you better coverage in your house.

BTW, you double-posted so I'll ask the mods to remove one of your posts so as to not confuse anyone.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: setting up multiple MicroCells in one house with one router

[ Edited ]
2 of 71 (5,313 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2013 5:49:36 PM
(0)
Teacher
Do you have another solution to setting up a second cell thats is not through power line adapters?

To extend my wifi network I have to use powerline adapters in order to set up my apple access point on the other end of my house. And since the mcell has to be plugged into a router isn't that the only other place to put the second mcell?

I wasn't talking about using an mcell as an access point for my other mcell. The access point is for my wifi. I was wanting to know if I could use my access point to plug in another mcell.

I need coverage for over 5000sqft which is why I want to set up a second mcell.
Do you have another solution to setting up a second cell thats is not through power line adapters?

To extend my wifi network I have to use powerline adapters in order to set up my apple access point on the other end of my house. And since the mcell has to be plugged into a router isn't that the only other place to put the second mcell?

I wasn't talking about using an mcell as an access point for my other mcell. The access point is for my wifi. I was wanting to know if I could use my access point to plug in another mcell.

I need coverage for over 5000sqft which is why I want to set up a second mcell.

3 of 71 (5,300 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2013 6:26:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I think there may be another way besides the PowerLine Adapters so let me check. There's another poster, Avedis53, who has some experience in this area so let me reach out to him, if he doesn't see this post first, and pick his brain.

I think there may be another way besides the PowerLine Adapters so let me check. There's another poster, Avedis53, who has some experience in this area so let me reach out to him, if he doesn't see this post first, and pick his brain.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 71 (5,295 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2013 8:00:27 PM
(0)
Teacher
That would be great, thanks.

Im open to absolutely any way of setting up a second mcell.

That would be great, thanks.

Im open to absolutely any way of setting up a second mcell.

5 of 71 (5,282 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2013 8:20:26 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Sorry I'm drawing a blank on this because we just went thru this a couple of months ago, and I think Avedis53 came up with a working solution without using PowerLine Adapters that may work for you. It's something I've been meaning to put into the Guide so this will be a good incentive. Hang tight.

Sorry I'm drawing a blank on this because we just went thru this a couple of months ago, and I think Avedis53 came up with a working solution without using PowerLine Adapters that may work for you. It's something I've been meaning to put into the Guide so this will be a good incentive. Hang tight.

6 of 71 (5,275 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2013 9:58:24 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Apple Airports can communicate wirelessly with each other.  What prompted you to connect your Airport Extreme to your Airport (I'm assuming Express) via Powerline adapters?

Here's what I would do given your existing hardware.  First off, I'd switch your Airport Extreme to be the one that is connected to your modem and use the Airport Express as your repeater.  The reason for this is that the Airport Extreme has a range of 150 feet due to better antennas and power.  The Airport Express has a range of 50 feet.  In order to maximize bandwidth throughout your house, the repeater needs to get a strong signal from the base station (the Extreme).  A weak signal will reduce bandwidth.

Use the Airport Utility to set up the Extreme as your router. Connect your existing Microcell to your Extreme via Ethernet cable.  Make sure that is all working before moving on to the following steps.

There are instructions in the Airport Extreme manual for extending the range of your wireless network.  See Chapter 3, page 43 for the steps.  I won't bother repeating them here.  Once you've completed that, your Airport Express will be wirelessly connected to your Airport Extreme.  You can then connect a second Microcell via Ethernet cable to your Airport Express and have additional cellphone coverage throughout your house. 

When operating two Microcells within your house, keep this in mind.  While the Microcell will hand off a connected call to an external cell tower as you move out of range of the Microcell, a Microcell will not hand off to another Microcell.  So if you establish a cellphone connection to one of your Microcells and start walking around your house and move out of range of that Microcell, your call will drop.

Another issue to keep in mind is (and you may already know this) that with two WiFi access points in your house, you will have the option of which one you can use with other WiFi devices.  I know with the iPhone that it will automatically switch to the access point with the highest signal. 

A problem can occur where wireless devices on your network have to be connected to the same access point in order to communicate.  I've seen this with my iPhone when trying to use a Yamaha app that controls my home theater receiver which is equipped with WiFi.  If my iPhone isn't connected to the same access point as the receiver, the app will not work.

Apple Airports can communicate wirelessly with each other.  What prompted you to connect your Airport Extreme to your Airport (I'm assuming Express) via Powerline adapters?

Here's what I would do given your existing hardware.  First off, I'd switch your Airport Extreme to be the one that is connected to your modem and use the Airport Express as your repeater.  The reason for this is that the Airport Extreme has a range of 150 feet due to better antennas and power.  The Airport Express has a range of 50 feet.  In order to maximize bandwidth throughout your house, the repeater needs to get a strong signal from the base station (the Extreme).  A weak signal will reduce bandwidth.

Use the Airport Utility to set up the Extreme as your router. Connect your existing Microcell to your Extreme via Ethernet cable.  Make sure that is all working before moving on to the following steps.

There are instructions in the Airport Extreme manual for extending the range of your wireless network.  See Chapter 3, page 43 for the steps.  I won't bother repeating them here.  Once you've completed that, your Airport Express will be wirelessly connected to your Airport Extreme.  You can then connect a second Microcell via Ethernet cable to your Airport Express and have additional cellphone coverage throughout your house. 

When operating two Microcells within your house, keep this in mind.  While the Microcell will hand off a connected call to an external cell tower as you move out of range of the Microcell, a Microcell will not hand off to another Microcell.  So if you establish a cellphone connection to one of your Microcells and start walking around your house and move out of range of that Microcell, your call will drop.

Another issue to keep in mind is (and you may already know this) that with two WiFi access points in your house, you will have the option of which one you can use with other WiFi devices.  I know with the iPhone that it will automatically switch to the access point with the highest signal. 

A problem can occur where wireless devices on your network have to be connected to the same access point in order to communicate.  I've seen this with my iPhone when trying to use a Yamaha app that controls my home theater receiver which is equipped with WiFi.  If my iPhone isn't connected to the same access point as the receiver, the app will not work.

7 of 71 (5,249 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2013 10:15:13 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by OttoPylot on Nov 12, 2013 at 10:19:34 AM

Thanks Avedis53. To the OP, is it possible to run cable (via the attic and down the inside of a wall) to where ever you need an ethernet connection? That's a big hassle I know but I recently did just that using CAT-6 to extend my ethernet connection to my HTS (Home Theater System) so I could have a wired connection for streaming instead of wireless. I connected that to an 8-port giga switch for future expansion. Avedis53's suggestion is a good one but if you need more than 5,000 sq feet coverage, distance and obstacles may be your biggest problem.

You may want to consider placing your AEBS as high up as possible to decrease interference and increase propagation thru your house. However, if you have a two-story home, and the router is upstairs, you've already done that.

Thanks Avedis53. To the OP, is it possible to run cable (via the attic and down the inside of a wall) to where ever you need an ethernet connection? That's a big hassle I know but I recently did just that using CAT-6 to extend my ethernet connection to my HTS (Home Theater System) so I could have a wired connection for streaming instead of wireless. I connected that to an 8-port giga switch for future expansion. Avedis53's suggestion is a good one but if you need more than 5,000 sq feet coverage, distance and obstacles may be your biggest problem.

You may want to consider placing your AEBS as high up as possible to decrease interference and increase propagation thru your house. However, if you have a two-story home, and the router is upstairs, you've already done that.

[ Edited ]
8 of 71 (5,245 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2013 10:19:54 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

OR.....

You keep your existing system as is and you can simply plug a second Microcell into the Airport Extreme via Ethernet cable. You might try this first as it would be the simplest thing to do and you already have the Powerline Adapters. 

However, Powerline adapters are susceptible to ground loops, AC cross-phase interference, AC cross-breaker interference, GFCI interference and line noise induced by multiple AC appliances.  I tried to use Powerline Adapters in my 4-level, 4000 sq. ft. house to move my Microcell to a centralized location to service all floors.  Constant connection drops between my Microcell and the network were caused by some electrical anomaly within my home's AC wiring.  I solved this by dumping the Powerline Adapters and using a wireless repeater as suggested in my initial response.

OR.....

You keep your existing system as is and you can simply plug a second Microcell into the Airport Extreme via Ethernet cable. You might try this first as it would be the simplest thing to do and you already have the Powerline Adapters. 

However, Powerline adapters are susceptible to ground loops, AC cross-phase interference, AC cross-breaker interference, GFCI interference and line noise induced by multiple AC appliances.  I tried to use Powerline Adapters in my 4-level, 4000 sq. ft. house to move my Microcell to a centralized location to service all floors.  Constant connection drops between my Microcell and the network were caused by some electrical anomaly within my home's AC wiring.  I solved this by dumping the Powerline Adapters and using a wireless repeater as suggested in my initial response.

9 of 71 (5,242 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2013 10:24:54 AM
(0)
Teacher
Thanks for the info Avedis53.

Although, I have my network set up exactly as you described. Im not using an express at all.

I have my modem connected to my extreme which is connected to my mcell. Then through powerline adapters I have a second extreme set up as an accessponit to further my wifi signal.

There is no express in the mix at all.

To answer this question: "Apple Airports can communicate wirelessly with each other. What prompted you to connect your Airport Extreme to your Airport (I'm assuming Express) via Powerline adapters?" - The reason I use powerline adapters to extend my wifi network is because the signal from the 1st extreme does not reach the location where my 2nd extreme (access point) is located. The only way for me to extend the network was via powerline adapters.

So, since I have to have poweline adapters and since I have the rest of my network set up essentially like you suggested... Youre saying I should be able to just plug in a second mcell to my extreme accesspoint and it should work? It wont matter that I dont have a router connected to my accesspoint?

Thanks
Thanks for the info Avedis53.

Although, I have my network set up exactly as you described. Im not using an express at all.

I have my modem connected to my extreme which is connected to my mcell. Then through powerline adapters I have a second extreme set up as an accessponit to further my wifi signal.

There is no express in the mix at all.

To answer this question: "Apple Airports can communicate wirelessly with each other. What prompted you to connect your Airport Extreme to your Airport (I'm assuming Express) via Powerline adapters?" - The reason I use powerline adapters to extend my wifi network is because the signal from the 1st extreme does not reach the location where my 2nd extreme (access point) is located. The only way for me to extend the network was via powerline adapters.

So, since I have to have poweline adapters and since I have the rest of my network set up essentially like you suggested... Youre saying I should be able to just plug in a second mcell to my extreme accesspoint and it should work? It wont matter that I dont have a router connected to my accesspoint?

Thanks

10 of 71 (5,240 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2013 10:30:52 AM
(0)
Teacher
Thanks Otto Pylot

I would love to be able to just run cable through the attic. The problem is I have two serarate attics. One on one side of the house and another on the other side. They are not connected and are serarated by the middle of my house which has high ceilings. The poweline adapters is what alloys me to extend my network via the powerlines to the other end of the house.
Thanks Otto Pylot

I would love to be able to just run cable through the attic. The problem is I have two serarate attics. One on one side of the house and another on the other side. They are not connected and are serarated by the middle of my house which has high ceilings. The poweline adapters is what alloys me to extend my network via the powerlines to the other end of the house.

11 of 71 (5,235 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2013 10:47:47 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by OttoPylot on Nov 12, 2013 at 10:50:54 AM

Hmm, you could always conduit the CAT-6 outside of your house and then bring it in thru a convenient wall. I did that with my security cameras running the cable underneath the eaves of the house from one end of the house to the other end where my router is (no conduit). Ideally, I should have run it thru the attic and down the inside of the wall but my wiring/construction skills aren't that good. We recently remodeled so I had the electrician wire the CAT-6 from router to family room being as we already had the ceiling and walls open.

But as Avedis53 pointed out, you still may have issues because the MicroCell's aren't designed to transfer signal between each other. They would be independent femtocells sharing only the internet connection to the AT&T servers. You still need GPS lock and ideally a tower nearby to adjust transmission strength and to hand off from MicroCell to macrocell (tower) when moving in and out of range.

Hmm, you could always conduit the CAT-6 outside of your house and then bring it in thru a convenient wall. I did that with my security cameras running the cable underneath the eaves of the house from one end of the house to the other end where my router is (no conduit). Ideally, I should have run it thru the attic and down the inside of the wall but my wiring/construction skills aren't that good. We recently remodeled so I had the electrician wire the CAT-6 from router to family room being as we already had the ceiling and walls open.

But as Avedis53 pointed out, you still may have issues because the MicroCell's aren't designed to transfer signal between each other. They would be independent femtocells sharing only the internet connection to the AT&T servers. You still need GPS lock and ideally a tower nearby to adjust transmission strength and to hand off from MicroCell to macrocell (tower) when moving in and out of range.

[ Edited ]
12 of 71 (5,232 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2013 11:01:27 AM
(0)
Teacher
Im not trying to transfer signals between the two mcells. I just want two separate mcells that give off their own signal.
Im not trying to transfer signals between the two mcells. I just want two separate mcells that give off their own signal.

13 of 71 (5,229 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2013 11:15:14 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Ok....thanks for the clarification.

Yes, you should simply plug the second Microcell into one of the LAN Ethernet ports of the remote Airport Extreme.  It does not have to be a router.

If you have problems with the Powerline adapter connection (the Microcell is pretty finicky about this) then there are other alternatives.

Do you have Gen 4 or Gen 5 Airport Extremes?  On its label there should be a FCC ID number.

Gen 4 - BCGA1354

Gen 5 - BCGA1408

If you have Gen 4 AE's then upgrading to Gen 5 AE's could help as the power output was substantially increased as shown in the table below.

WLAN ModeGen.4 (BCGA1354)Gen.5 (BCGA1408)
2.4GHz—802.11b286.42 mW257.04 mW
2.4GHz—802.11g143.22 mW307.61 mW
2.4GHz—802.11n (20 MHz)130.92 mW257.63 mW
5GHz—802.11a202.77 mW326.59 mW
5GHz—802.11n (20 MHz)164.82 mW337.29 mW
5GHz—802.11n (40 MHz)139.32 mW392.64 mW

If you already have Gen 5 AE's, there are routers/range extenders that have even higher outputs than that.  You might look at the Amped Wireless equipment line.  They have up to 700 mW routers, access points and range extenders.

http://ampedwireless.com/

I have their SR 10000 range extender (600 mW) and it covers the entire house.  Granted, upgrading either the AE's to Gen 5 or getting a new router and repeater is an expensive proposition.  If you already have Gen 5 AE's, I'd seriously look at going with higher powered Amped Wireless products.  If you have Gen 4 AE's I'd still look at the Amped Wireless products unless you can buy the Gen 5 AE's and then return them if they don't have enough power to connect.

Keep in mind that the higher the signal strength between the router and the range extender, the higher the bandwidth you will have, so getting the highest output power units you can will be better. 

Ok....thanks for the clarification.

Yes, you should simply plug the second Microcell into one of the LAN Ethernet ports of the remote Airport Extreme.  It does not have to be a router.

If you have problems with the Powerline adapter connection (the Microcell is pretty finicky about this) then there are other alternatives.

Do you have Gen 4 or Gen 5 Airport Extremes?  On its label there should be a FCC ID number.

Gen 4 - BCGA1354

Gen 5 - BCGA1408

If you have Gen 4 AE's then upgrading to Gen 5 AE's could help as the power output was substantially increased as shown in the table below.

WLAN ModeGen.4 (BCGA1354)Gen.5 (BCGA1408)
2.4GHz—802.11b286.42 mW257.04 mW
2.4GHz—802.11g143.22 mW307.61 mW
2.4GHz—802.11n (20 MHz)130.92 mW257.63 mW
5GHz—802.11a202.77 mW326.59 mW
5GHz—802.11n (20 MHz)164.82 mW337.29 mW
5GHz—802.11n (40 MHz)139.32 mW392.64 mW

If you already have Gen 5 AE's, there are routers/range extenders that have even higher outputs than that.  You might look at the Amped Wireless equipment line.  They have up to 700 mW routers, access points and range extenders.

http://ampedwireless.com/

I have their SR 10000 range extender (600 mW) and it covers the entire house.  Granted, upgrading either the AE's to Gen 5 or getting a new router and repeater is an expensive proposition.  If you already have Gen 5 AE's, I'd seriously look at going with higher powered Amped Wireless products.  If you have Gen 4 AE's I'd still look at the Amped Wireless products unless you can buy the Gen 5 AE's and then return them if they don't have enough power to connect.

Keep in mind that the higher the signal strength between the router and the range extender, the higher the bandwidth you will have, so getting the highest output power units you can will be better. 

14 of 71 (5,230 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2013 11:16:25 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I understand that but I just want to make sure you understand that if you're on a call on one MicroCell, and then move within range of the other MicroCell, the call will probably get dropped because the MicroCell's can't hand-off calls to one another. An interesting situation for sure. If the PowerLine Adapters/repeater doesn't work, then some sort of a hardwire solution may be your only option. The MicroCell can be a touchy device and the fewer "hops" between it and the router, the more reliable it's going to be.

I understand that but I just want to make sure you understand that if you're on a call on one MicroCell, and then move within range of the other MicroCell, the call will probably get dropped because the MicroCell's can't hand-off calls to one another. An interesting situation for sure. If the PowerLine Adapters/repeater doesn't work, then some sort of a hardwire solution may be your only option. The MicroCell can be a touchy device and the fewer "hops" between it and the router, the more reliable it's going to be.

15 of 71 (5,228 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2013 11:18:15 AM
(0)
Teacher
I am actually going to be upgrading everything I have. New power line adapters with 600Mbps (the fastest I can find). And the new Apple Extreme AC routers.

What do you think about the Apple ACs?
I am actually going to be upgrading everything I have. New power line adapters with 600Mbps (the fastest I can find). And the new Apple Extreme AC routers.

16 of 71 (5,226 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2013 11:19:37 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Good info Avedis53. It's nice to have backup Smiley Wink

Good info Avedis53. It's nice to have backup Smiley Wink

17 of 71 (5,224 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2013 11:20:31 AM
(0)
Teacher
Ya, Im not at all concerned with the mcells handing off calls from one to the other.

Ya, Im not at all concerned with the mcells handing off calls from one to the other.

18 of 71 (5,222 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2013 11:27:09 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

daclarkjr wrote:

The reviews seemed to be mixed from what I've read. I've been very happy with my AEBS (gen 4) so even though your needs are pusing the limits somewhat, I think it would be better than what you have now. It's not so much the power output of the PowerLine Adapters though, it's the condition of the electrical wiring betweens points A and B, what other devices are using that line, etc. that's the sticking point.

daclarkjr wrote:

The reviews seemed to be mixed from what I've read. I've been very happy with my AEBS (gen 4) so even though your needs are pusing the limits somewhat, I think it would be better than what you have now. It's not so much the power output of the PowerLine Adapters though, it's the condition of the electrical wiring betweens points A and B, what other devices are using that line, etc. that's the sticking point.

19 of 71 (5,221 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2013 11:34:05 AM
(0)
Teacher
Ok.

So back to my original question - connecting a second mcell to my extreme access point shouldn't be a problem?
Ok.

So back to my original question - connecting a second mcell to my extreme access point shouldn't be a problem?

20 of 71 (5,217 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2013 11:41:45 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Keep in mind that the maximum bandwidth claimed by the Powerline adapter will be affected by the AC wiring in the house.  So a 600 Mbps Powerline Adapter, may not ultimately connect at that speed.  Still, that speed will most likely be greater than what an AE can provide.

I see that Apple has upgraded their Airport Extreme Gen 5 to the Airport Extreme AC (Gen 6), which is suppose to provide faster data transfer and have a greater range due to a better antenna array.  Have they increased output power?  I can't find any information about that.

Connecting your second Microcell to your AE won't be a problem.  Whether the AC system in your home is pristine enough to not cause dropped connections across the Powerline connection won't be known until you try it.

Keep in mind that the maximum bandwidth claimed by the Powerline adapter will be affected by the AC wiring in the house.  So a 600 Mbps Powerline Adapter, may not ultimately connect at that speed.  Still, that speed will most likely be greater than what an AE can provide.

I see that Apple has upgraded their Airport Extreme Gen 5 to the Airport Extreme AC (Gen 6), which is suppose to provide faster data transfer and have a greater range due to a better antenna array.  Have they increased output power?  I can't find any information about that.

Connecting your second Microcell to your AE won't be a problem.  Whether the AC system in your home is pristine enough to not cause dropped connections across the Powerline connection won't be known until you try it.

21 of 71 (5,216 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2013 12:03:52 PM
(0)
Teacher
Yes AC has replaced N and is the fastest wifi you can get. Im not sure if they have increased the output power.

Ok, I will try it out in the next couple of weeks and let you know how it works.
Yes AC has replaced N and is the fastest wifi you can get. Im not sure if they have increased the output power.

Ok, I will try it out in the next couple of weeks and let you know how it works.

22 of 71 (5,212 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2013 12:07:07 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

daclarkjr wrote:
Ok.

You can connect your second MicroCell to the access point but as Avedis53 and I pointed out, that's not the issue. It's using the PowerLine adapter that may be the issue because or electrical wiring conditions. All you can do is try. If your line is clean and interference-free it may work just fine. If you have a refrigerator for example on the same circuit  you may have issues.

daclarkjr wrote:
Ok.

You can connect your second MicroCell to the access point but as Avedis53 and I pointed out, that's not the issue. It's using the PowerLine adapter that may be the issue because or electrical wiring conditions. All you can do is try. If your line is clean and interference-free it may work just fine. If you have a refrigerator for example on the same circuit  you may have issues.

23 of 71 (5,212 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 9, 2014 2:49:46 PM
(0)
Teacher

Ok guys - sorry its been a while - but I finally had some time to change out my network. 

I have a total of 4 Apple AC Airport Extreme's making my network.  

This is how its set up: 

1. modem

connected to 

2. Apple AC router (base station) - (1st mcell is connected via ethernet)

connected wirlessly 

3. 2nd Apple AC router

connected wirelessly

4. 3rd Apple AC router (where I am trying to connect the 2nd mcell - plugged directly in via ethernet)

connected wirelessly 

5. 4th Apple AC router. 

The network works perfectly. Im getting 65mb down and 30mb up. 

The 1st mcell works perfectly and has for years. The 2nd mcell is where I am having all of the issues - it gets the GPS lock - but wont activate. I dont get any error messages via att.com - it simply says - activation in progress. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Ok guys - sorry its been a while - but I finally had some time to change out my network. 

I have a total of 4 Apple AC Airport Extreme's making my network.  

This is how its set up: 

1. modem

connected to 

2. Apple AC router (base station) - (1st mcell is connected via ethernet)

connected wirlessly 

3. 2nd Apple AC router

connected wirelessly

4. 3rd Apple AC router (where I am trying to connect the 2nd mcell - plugged directly in via ethernet)

connected wirelessly 

5. 4th Apple AC router. 

The network works perfectly. Im getting 65mb down and 30mb up. 

The 1st mcell works perfectly and has for years. The 2nd mcell is where I am having all of the issues - it gets the GPS lock - but wont activate. I dont get any error messages via att.com - it simply says - activation in progress. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

24 of 71 (4,268 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 9, 2014 3:29:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by Avedis53 on May 9, 2014 at 3:30:46 PM

Off the top of my head, given the multiple routers in your home network, I would suspect your problem could be double NAT.  The Mcell doesn't play well when more than one device in your network is assigning network IP addresses.

Is the router that you have your 2nd Mcell plugged into communicating with the router that is hard-wired to your modem or is it daisy-chained?  Is your first router connected to the modem in bridge mode?

From what I recall, the AE will usually give an alert when it detects double NAT but I'm not sure. 

Off the top of my head, given the multiple routers in your home network, I would suspect your problem could be double NAT.  The Mcell doesn't play well when more than one device in your network is assigning network IP addresses.

Is the router that you have your 2nd Mcell plugged into communicating with the router that is hard-wired to your modem or is it daisy-chained?  Is your first router connected to the modem in bridge mode?

From what I recall, the AE will usually give an alert when it detects double NAT but I'm not sure. 

[ Edited ]
25 of 71 (4,259 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 9, 2014 3:30:01 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Does your router see it based on its MAC address?

26 of 71 (4,258 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 9, 2014 3:31:37 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Otto....quit posting when I'm posting!!!

Otto....quit posting when I'm posting!!!

27 of 71 (4,255 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2014 9:03:58 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Sorry Smiley Sad You know how us old folks are.....

Sorry Smiley Sad You know how us old folks are.....

28 of 71 (4,232 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2014 12:53:21 PM
(0)
Teacher

No Double NAT issue.

Only the base station assigns IP addresses.  

No Double NAT issue.

Only the base station assigns IP addresses.  

29 of 71 (4,219 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2014 12:54:41 PM
(0)
Teacher

Not sure how to check this...? And are you referring to the second mcell?

Not sure how to check this...? And are you referring to the second mcell?

30 of 71 (4,217 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments