Explore & discover

Helpful Links

my wireless broadband micro cell number

Highlighted
Employee

my wireless broadband micro cell number

The "wireless broadband" indicator is red on the control box after I rebooted my micro cell device. I need to know what the number is that the control unit uses. I called service but they have never heard of a micro cell and didn't know anything about the micro cell access number the control unit uses. How do I find out what this number is in case I need to re-enter it in the Micro cell.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 1 of 19
ACE - Expert

Re: my wireless broadband micro cell number

@ddsdmm - what control box? We need more specific info on your ISP, setup, and equipment. There is no MicroCell access number. It just uses your internet connection to access the AT&T Mobility servers if ALL of the minimum router requirements are met.

Do keep in mind that if you have satellite or wireless internet the MicroCell is not designed for that. It is for land-based service only (DSL, cable, or fiber), and that is mentioned in the documentation and in my Tech Guide (see link in my dig line). AT&T does not support those types of connections and neither do we.

The MicroCell was discontinued at the end of 2017 so WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) is the preferred method now if your phone is capable of that.

MicroCell Technical Guide by OttoPylot

Cellular Booster Guide by OttoPylot

"Quick Tips: My Microcell Doesn't Work"

I am not an AT&T employee.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 19
Employee

The control box I'm referring to is the Digital Life security processor box. Not the keypad. We have ATT Wireless, the signal is low in our home and we were told to purchase a Microcell and us it on our home. There was an issue with the Digital Life security system in the past, on the lights was red but don't recall which indicator it was. A service tech came out and saw the microcell and said he's seen this before. He had me enter a new cell number in my microcell and it resolved the problem. When I rebooted my microcell device the red light error started.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 19
ACE - Expert

@ddsdmm - that sounds like an incompatibility with the Digital Life. The only phone number that is used for the MicroCell is the one that belongs to the "owner" of the MicroCell. In other words, the phone number associated with the owner of the postpaid AT&T cellular account. That is the only phone number used to register/activate the MicroCell. Other AT&T phone numbers can be added to the Approved Users list whether they are a postpaid or a prepaid account.

I'm assuming that by AT&T Wireless you mean cellular and not your internet connection.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 19
Employee

thanks for all of the responses. Yes the AT&T Wireless number I'm referring to our cellular mobile phone numbers.

"The only phone number that is used for the MicroCell is the one that belongs to the "owner" of the MicroCell. In other words, the phone number associated with the owner of the postpaid AT&T cellular account. That is the only phone number used to register/activate the MicroCell"

What you're saying makes sense. But the Digital Life (DL) Tech, that resolved a similar issue, provided a unique cell number used by the DL control unit which had to be added to my MicroCell. It was not my cell number.  He said he discovered this issue while servicing a another Microcell user with the same issue we experienced.

I have changed my cell phone number since the tech resolved the earlier issue, maybe that's related but I do have my new cell number registered as a user in my Microcell. It had been working fine until I hard rebooted my microcell so you may be correct. It could be an a coincidence and not my microcell is not compatible due to software reasons?

Message 5 of 19
ACE - Expert

@ddsdmm - It sounds like he may have added the Digital Life cellular number to the Approved Users List so that it can act like any other AT&T cellular phone user who is given access to the MicroCell. If you change your primary phone number (the one that you use to register/activate the MicroCell) then you may need to re-register/activate the MicroCell again because that number is tied to your account and that's how the MicroCell "knows" whether the owner has a prepaid or postpaid account. However, changing your primary number can be cumbersome because you may have to de-register the MicroCell (which is removing the old phone number from your account), wait a couple of hours or at least a day or so for the request to go thru the system, and then re-register the MicroCell using the new, primary number. Just adding the new phone number to the Approved Users List won't do anything because the system needs to know who the "owner" of the account based on the phone number.

If your phone is capable of WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) then you don't need the MicroCell at all. WiFI-C is what AT&T, and us, recommend now because of the discontinuance of the MicroCell with support getting less and less this year.

Why did you have to re-boot the MicroCell?

Message 6 of 19
Employee

Thanks again for the responses. I rebooted the Microcell because my work cell phone changed from Samsung to iPhone. The phone number stayed the same but I had to remove and re-add my work number for the Microcell for it to recognize the phone change.

Message 7 of 19
Employee

Thanks for the Tip on the WiFi functionality both, all of our iPhones should be WiFi compatible. We'll have to try that option. Do you know if the hand off from WiFi to a cell site is transparent? The Microcell was supposed to hand off an existing call when leaving the home, it never did. Calls originating on a cell site were never expected to hand off to the Microcell.

Message 8 of 19
ACE - Expert

@ddsdmm - WiFi-C is available on iPhones from the SE model and above. The basics of handing off are covered in my Tech Guide. For the MicroCell, if a call originates on the MicroCell and then you walk out of the MicroCell range while still on the call, most of the time the call will be dropped because of the type of handing off it is attempting to do.

Message 9 of 19
ACE - Professor

Wi-Fi Calling call handover, indicator, and limitations

Call handover
  • Wi-Fi Calling to HD Voice: When leaving Wi-Fi coverage, calls will transition from Wi-Fi Calling to HD Voice when HD Voice coverage is available. Calls will drop if there is no HD Voice coverage or the device is in airplane mode. 911 calls will always disconnect if you lose your Wi-Fi connection.
  • HD Voice to Wi-Fi Calling: Calls will transition from HD Voice to Wi-Fi Calling if you are actively connected to the Wi-Fi network. Calls will drop if you are not actively connected to the Wi-Fi network.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

Message 10 of 19
ACE - Expert

@Avedis53 - thanks. I've been busy with some last minute changes to the Cellular Booster Guide that AT&T requested. Just about done.

Message 11 of 19
Employee
Solution
Accepted by topic author Employee
Accepted by ddsdmm
‎04-04-2018 2:23 PM

Ottopylot great info in your document. Thank you for sharing.

The resolution to my issue was the Microcell mysteriously dropped the DL Controller secondary access number. The DL tech said he's had about 5 occurances of this issue. I should have written down the DLC number the first time is was given to me to add to the microcell. It resolved the issue and my broadband light is now green. I had to reboot the DLC after registering the numbers in the Microcell.

The DL Tech also recommended using WiFi calling and retire the Microcell. :-) Thanks again for all of the assistance.

Tags (1)
Message 12 of 19
ACE - Expert

@ddsdmm - Thanks. WiFi-C is the way to go. Not only on AT&T's network but on other carriers as well.

Message 13 of 19
Tutor

What is a DL Controller / DL Tech. I need to call AT&T about my microcell too. It has suddenly stopped working. Wifi calling  not available on go-phones either!!

Message 14 of 19
ACE - Expert

@mctaft - DL Controller is for AT&T's Digital Life, which is an IoT/Home Security product. It really has nothing at all to do with the MicroCell other than they share an internet connection.

Which MicroCell do you have (white or black) and have you experienced any recent power outages? It may be as simple as a failing or failed ac adapter (see my QuickTips, link is in my sig line).

The MicroCell, as well as WiFi-C, is only available for post paid AT&T cellular accounts. A GoPhone is prepaid.

The MicroCell was discontinued at the end of 2017. AT&T claims they will support it for the time being but all they will really try to do is get you to upgrade to a WiFi-C capable phone. We may still be able to help you here but the MicroCell has reached its EOL so you really need to look at other options: WiFi-C, cellular boosters (I have a Guide for them as well), or switch carriers.

Message 15 of 19
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support