What is happening with 3G?
coupler's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, June 1st, 2018 12:09 PM

I'm trying to find the list of phones that are compatible with microcell.

I'm trying to find the list of phones that are compatible with microcell. I found it once and it looked like it only worked with phones att sells.I have a microcell and it works great but I need a new phone also I think only that phone list is for wi fi but not sure.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

6 years ago

The microcell is compatible with ATT postpaid service.  There is no limitation on the phones.  I have a microcell on my postpaid account specifically because we have 3 non ATT phones on my account.

WiFi calling is a different technology that requires you have a postpaid account and a phone capable of WiFi calling with ATT.  Any iPhone , model 6 or newer; ATT branded Samsung or LG running marshmallow or newer OS is capable of WiFi calling. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@lizdance40 - let me echo what @lizdance40 said. Any 3G/4G/LTE domestic phone will work with the MicroCell (but you are limited to 3G) as long as you have a post paid AT&T cellular account and you meet the other requirements for the MicroCell (router settings, land-based internet service, etc).

If you are in the market for a new phone I would suggest purchasing a WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) that is branded by AT&T (one that they sell) and not even bother with the MicroCell. Sales of the MicroCell were discontinued at the end of 2017 because the MicroCell has reached its EOL. Support will last thru this year but the service will eventually be discontinued altogether.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

thanks for the help,i bought a cat s60 phone very tough has thermal imaging ,under water video but wouldn't work with microcell I will look into wi fi I just have bad reception at house.what about these weboost signal boosters

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

6 years ago

@coupler

The cat60 is not one of the phones listed for WiFi calling, it’s not an ATT phone.  It’s not capable of WiFi calling.

Per my earlier post “WiFi calling is a different technology that requires you have a postpaid account and a phone capable of WiFi calling with ATT.  Any iPhone , model 6 or newer; ATT branded Samsung or LG running marshmallow or newer OS is capable of WiFi calling.

The microcell does not exclude any phone.  It includes phones by phone number.  As I wrote, I have one because I have 3 non ATT phones.  I’ve used several different non carrier brands with complete success.  

You may have to delete and add back the phone number for that phone, but there is no reason it shouldn’t work.  We have swapped phones and it had no effect on connection. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@coupler - the MicroCell depends heavily on the IMSI number. IMSI/IMEI is explained in my Tech Guide. Depending on the market that the phone was designed for (domestic vs foreign) it may not have an IMSI number that is recognized as compatible hardware for the AT&T Domestic Cellular market. Some IMSI coding is on the SIM card, some is embedded in the phone. It all depends on the network and hardware mfr.

Most phones mfr'd for the domestic market will work with the MicroCell. However, it is almost impossible to keep a list of all of the phone possibilities that do or do not because models and specs change constantly. If it is a phone that AT&T sells (you don't have to purchase from them) then that's about as close of a guarantee that the phone will work with the MicroCell and on AT&T's WiFi-C network.

For an explanation of cellular boosters, please read my Cellular Booster Guide (link is in my sig line). They can, and do work very well provided you get at least one to two bars of cellular signal strength. Determining which booster, and the type of antenna system will take some work on your part. They are, however, not cheap.

We assume you have a post paid AT&T cellular account and a land-based internet service (DSL, cable, or fiber).

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

im purchasing a microcell, my question is does the 153 only give you 3g even on a 4g phone? 

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

5 years ago

@gaxndexter

The microcell handles talk and text over 3G.  Data is supplied by the existing home internet, so you don’t need 4G/LTE 

Be aware the microcell is being phased out in favor of Wifi calling.  Plan ahead.  

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago

@gaxndexter - as @lizdance40 mentioned, the MicroCell is 3G only. It can work with 3G/4G/LTE handsets but is limited to 3G. 

I wouldn't purchase a MicroCell now. Sales were discontinued by AT&T at the end of 2017 because the MicroCell has reached its EOL. Support, such that it is, is still active but there is no telling how much longer Support will support the MicroCell and the service itself will be discontinued sometime in the future (probably sooner than later) because AT&T does not want to support a device that they no longer sell. 

WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) is what AT&T and us recommend now if your phone is capable. Other than that, your other options are to purchase a cellular booster (see my Cellular Booster Guide, link is in my sig line), switch carriers, or possibly try Google Voice.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.