What is happening with 3G?
bevslay's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, August 11th, 2019 6:37 PM

iPhone XR and Microcell tower

Just bought a new iPhone XR. I cannot get it to connect to my AT&T Microcell tower. Any suggestions?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago

Use wifi calling

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

5 years ago

@bevslay - agreed. The MicroCell reached its EOL at the end of 2017. The service itself will be shutdown once AT&T begins to transition away from their 3G network. WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) is what is recommended now. If, for some reason, you want to use your XR with the MicroCell just add its phone number to the Approved Users List (unless it's the same phone number that was used to register/activate the MicroCell), save, shutdown your phone completely, and then after a few seconds, reboot your phone. The phone may need to register the MicroCell as part of its cellular neighborhood.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

5 years ago

@bevslay - If you're gong to use WiFi-C then it's best to power off the MicroCell altogether. Sometimes the phone doesn't "know" which to connect to, the MicroCell or your WiFi, so call quality issues may develop. WiFi-C is dependent on your WiFi, it has nothing to do with the MicroCell.

If you need the MicroCell for other non-WiFi-C capable phones then you may need to place your XR in Airplane Mode to disable its cellular radio so it can't connect to the MicroCell, but you'll need to remember to disable Airplane Mode when you are out of range of the MicroCell.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you so much! It picks up the microcell sometimes. I did enable WiFi calling.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.