Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 22, 2010
5:32:40 AM
View profile
iPhone Not Connecting to Microcell
I have had the AT&T Microcell now for about a month.  When it works, it works great.  But for some reason, it gets to where it won't connect to my phone.  I am right now sitting here with my iPhone sitting on top of the Microcell and yet it still won't connect.  On the iPhone, I've tried rebooting it, turning WiFi on and off, turning 3G on and off, and turning flight mode on and off... and still I sit with no bars.  Sometimes it will work fine... sometimes it won't.  I can spend 15 or 20 minutes and restart the Microcell and that will work sometimes.  I believe this is happening with our other non-iPhone phones too, but I don't use them every day so have the most knowledge about my iPhone.  It is very, very frustrating because the coverage here is so bad that when the Microcell isn't kicking in then its hit or miss on calls and texts.  Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?  I need reliable service here.
I have had the AT&T Microcell now for about a month.  When it works, it works great.  But for some reason, it gets to where it won't connect to my phone.  I am right now sitting here with my iPhone sitting on top of the Microcell and yet it still won't connect.  On the iPhone, I've tried rebooting it, turning WiFi on and off, turning 3G on and off, and turning flight mode on and off... and still I sit with no bars.  Sometimes it will work fine... sometimes it won't.  I can spend 15 or 20 minutes and restart the Microcell and that will work sometimes.  I believe this is happening with our other non-iPhone phones too, but I don't use them every day so have the most knowledge about my iPhone.  It is very, very frustrating because the coverage here is so bad that when the Microcell isn't kicking in then its hit or miss on calls and texts.  Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?  I need reliable service here.

iPhone Not Connecting to Microcell

79 replies
(3) Me too
(3) Me too
View all replies
(79)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 6, 2010 4:46:53 PM
(0)
Tutor

Same problem except original #/iPhone connects all the time but secondary #'s I added (1-iPhone and 2- Samsung Impressions) have the connection problems.

Same problem except original #/iPhone connects all the time but secondary #'s I added (1-iPhone and 2- Samsung Impressions) have the connection problems.

Re: iPhone Not Connecting to Microcell

2 of 80 (98,202 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2010 2:05:57 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by edmartin123 on Mar 26, 2010 at 2:07:07 PM

New microcell user in North Carolina and I'm having the same problem - my iPhone & my wife's are dropping the microcell connection constantly.

The issue seems to be data, not voice, from what I can tell.  I've tested calling and the connection is steady.  But as soon as I try to do something with data (e.g. web page), the connection drops & goes back to the nearest 3G tower. Also, when I try to run the speedtest.net iPhone app, if it holds the connection long enough, my upload speed is basically at 0.  But, if I go to speedtest.net on my laptop, I have a 1 MB upload speed; so it's not my DSL connection.

New microcell user in North Carolina and I'm having the same problem - my iPhone & my wife's are dropping the microcell connection constantly.

The issue seems to be data, not voice, from what I can tell.  I've tested calling and the connection is steady.  But as soon as I try to do something with data (e.g. web page), the connection drops & goes back to the nearest 3G tower. Also, when I try to run the speedtest.net iPhone app, if it holds the connection long enough, my upload speed is basically at 0.  But, if I go to speedtest.net on my laptop, I have a 1 MB upload speed; so it's not my DSL connection.

[ Edited ]
3 of 80 (97,987 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2010 9:45:07 AM
(0)
Contributor

Same problem happening for me.  3G Microcell is Activated but my iPhone (setup as my primary access number on the Microcell) and sitting right next to the cell does not connect at all. Rebooted, turned network on and off, etc.  Any advice to help trouble shoot?

Same problem happening for me.  3G Microcell is Activated but my iPhone (setup as my primary access number on the Microcell) and sitting right next to the cell does not connect at all. Rebooted, turned network on and off, etc.  Any advice to help trouble shoot?

4 of 80 (97,941 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2010 7:52:11 PM
(0)
Contributor

Same here. I have two iPhones in the house and they both do the same thing. They can make calls fine, but randomly are not able to receive data though the microcell. I usually have to turn airplane mode on and off for it to start working again. For the record, one iPhone is the 3GS, and one is a 3G.

Same here. I have two iPhones in the house and they both do the same thing. They can make calls fine, but randomly are not able to receive data though the microcell. I usually have to turn airplane mode on and off for it to start working again. For the record, one iPhone is the 3GS, and one is a 3G.

5 of 80 (97,501 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 11, 2010 11:51:25 PM
(0)
Teacher

I've had a 3G MicroCell for about 3 days.  I picked up a replacement for the MicroCell because the original one didn't usually recover when it crashed.  This replacement does recover, however, neither of my iPhone 3GS phones will reconnect to the MicroCell once it recovers from a crash.

The only way I can reconnect to the MicroCell is to either reset the Network Settings (SETTINGS-GENERAL-RESET-RESET NETWORK SETTINGS) and it forces the iPhone to re-establish the wireless connection.  

I am in a non-3G area for now and although I'm supposed to be in a prime signal area, my neighborhood is apparently an unplanned semi-dead area with only 2 bars outside.  I get 1 to 2 bars inside.  The MicroCell is in the center of the house, connected to a broadband network that measures 24.4 mbps download and 3.1 mbps upload, which is pretty blazingly fast.  

When connected to the MicroCell, I have excellent results, but if the MicroCell 'glitches' and goes down, I've not seen the iPhones reconnect.  When I leave home, the MicroCell disconnects and the iPhone connects to the macro cells and when I return home, it reconnects to the MicroCell.  I could care less about handoff from MicroCell to macro cell when I'm on a call; I can just finish my call, but I can't tolerate the iPhones not reconnecting inside the house if the MicroCell goes down and recovers.

I only switched from Verizon to AT&T because I wanted the iPhones, but I've never had satisfactory service at my home.  I've been waiting...sort of patiently for the 3G MicroCell to be available in my area.  That happened on Sunday and I got the first MicroCell in the area, but there appears to be an issue using it with the iPhone 3GS and that's the only reason I have for buying the MicroCell.

I carry a Blackberry that is on the Verizon network for my company phone and I still have a Vonage VOIP phone at home.  I can rarely place a call back to the other iPhone 3GS at home that is even intelligible without the MicroCell, but without the iPhone automatically reconnecting to the MicroCell, that's dicey.  I really don't like the clunky user interface and the tiny screen on the Blackberry, but it's what we use at work.  

I can only assume that this problem is an iPhone software issue that has never been dealt with at Apple (I didn't find any topics on the Support site at Apple.) so I feel like I'm kind of an orphan with this problem, except perhaps on this forum.

I've had a 3G MicroCell for about 3 days.  I picked up a replacement for the MicroCell because the original one didn't usually recover when it crashed.  This replacement does recover, however, neither of my iPhone 3GS phones will reconnect to the MicroCell once it recovers from a crash.

The only way I can reconnect to the MicroCell is to either reset the Network Settings (SETTINGS-GENERAL-RESET-RESET NETWORK SETTINGS) and it forces the iPhone to re-establish the wireless connection.  

I am in a non-3G area for now and although I'm supposed to be in a prime signal area, my neighborhood is apparently an unplanned semi-dead area with only 2 bars outside.  I get 1 to 2 bars inside.  The MicroCell is in the center of the house, connected to a broadband network that measures 24.4 mbps download and 3.1 mbps upload, which is pretty blazingly fast.  

When connected to the MicroCell, I have excellent results, but if the MicroCell 'glitches' and goes down, I've not seen the iPhones reconnect.  When I leave home, the MicroCell disconnects and the iPhone connects to the macro cells and when I return home, it reconnects to the MicroCell.  I could care less about handoff from MicroCell to macro cell when I'm on a call; I can just finish my call, but I can't tolerate the iPhones not reconnecting inside the house if the MicroCell goes down and recovers.

I only switched from Verizon to AT&T because I wanted the iPhones, but I've never had satisfactory service at my home.  I've been waiting...sort of patiently for the 3G MicroCell to be available in my area.  That happened on Sunday and I got the first MicroCell in the area, but there appears to be an issue using it with the iPhone 3GS and that's the only reason I have for buying the MicroCell.

I carry a Blackberry that is on the Verizon network for my company phone and I still have a Vonage VOIP phone at home.  I can rarely place a call back to the other iPhone 3GS at home that is even intelligible without the MicroCell, but without the iPhone automatically reconnecting to the MicroCell, that's dicey.  I really don't like the clunky user interface and the tiny screen on the Blackberry, but it's what we use at work.  

I can only assume that this problem is an iPhone software issue that has never been dealt with at Apple (I didn't find any topics on the Support site at Apple.) so I feel like I'm kind of an orphan with this problem, except perhaps on this forum.

6 of 80 (96,945 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2010 8:08:05 PM
(0)
Tutor

Who is surprised that the AT&T/CISCO MicroCell doesn't work with an iPhone? We bought one today and it will probably be returned tomorrow. Furthermore, I've not found a single person on the web reporting positively on this combination; the best report was someone who had to cycle through airplane mode to get it to connect. We have 2 of the latest 32GB iPhones at the latest software levels.

Our results with a weak 3G signal (2 bars):

1. does not find M-Cell even after rebooting the iPhone
  2. turn "Airplane Mode" on and then off
  3. usually finds M-Cell within 30 seconds, sometimes takes up to a minute; no bars but works
  4. stays connected to M-Cell for 1-2 minutes
  5. switches to "2/3 bars  AT&T  WiFi"
  6. stays this way forever, well, up to 20 minutes when we ran out of patience
  7. repeats with step 2

Our results with a strong 3G signal (5 bars):

1. finds M-Cell after rebooting the iPhone
  2. usually finds M-Cell within 30 seconds, sometimes takes up to a minute; no bars but works
  3. stays connected to M-Cell for 1-2 minutes
  4. switches to "5 bars  AT&T  WiFi" for 3-10 minutes
  5. "searching"
  6. repeats with step 2

Who is surprised that the AT&T/CISCO MicroCell doesn't work with an iPhone? We bought one today and it will probably be returned tomorrow. Furthermore, I've not found a single person on the web reporting positively on this combination; the best report was someone who had to cycle through airplane mode to get it to connect. We have 2 of the latest 32GB iPhones at the latest software levels.

Our results with a weak 3G signal (2 bars):

1. does not find M-Cell even after rebooting the iPhone
  2. turn "Airplane Mode" on and then off
  3. usually finds M-Cell within 30 seconds, sometimes takes up to a minute; no bars but works
  4. stays connected to M-Cell for 1-2 minutes
  5. switches to "2/3 bars  AT&T  WiFi"
  6. stays this way forever, well, up to 20 minutes when we ran out of patience
  7. repeats with step 2

Our results with a strong 3G signal (5 bars):

1. finds M-Cell after rebooting the iPhone
  2. usually finds M-Cell within 30 seconds, sometimes takes up to a minute; no bars but works
  3. stays connected to M-Cell for 1-2 minutes
  4. switches to "5 bars  AT&T  WiFi" for 3-10 minutes
  5. "searching"
  6. repeats with step 2

7 of 80 (96,772 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2010 8:27:07 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by DreaminZ on May 15, 2010 at 8:31:41 PM

billferreira wrote:

Furthermore, I've not found a single person on the web reporting positively on this combination;

Most people don't come to a Support forum to post success stories... but here you go...

My IPhone 3GS connects to my microcell EVERY TIME without fail.

Walking into the house, or after the few times I've rebooted my MC... 100% no problem.

And it has never switched to the AT&T tower (macrocell) when i'm in my house. I have to walk ~100 feet from the house and then it switches.

I have 2-3 bars of 3G coverage at my MC.

(I have data through-put issues, but no connection / handoff issues whatsoever).

billferreira wrote:

Furthermore, I've not found a single person on the web reporting positively on this combination;

Most people don't come to a Support forum to post success stories... but here you go...

Walking into the house, or after the few times I've rebooted my MC... 100% no problem.

And it has never switched to the AT&T tower (macrocell) when i'm in my house. I have to walk ~100 feet from the house and then it switches.

I have 2-3 bars of 3G coverage at my MC.

(I have data through-put issues, but no connection / handoff issues whatsoever).

[ Edited ]
8 of 80 (96,768 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2010 10:24:36 PM
(0)
Master

DreaminZ wrote:

Same here.

I live on the third floor of my apartment building in a 2br/2ba apartment.  The MicroCell is in my bedroom on the outer edge of the building (the outside stairwell comes up the center between the apartments).

I get M-Cell signal all the way down to the first floor.  Everywhere in my apartment and on the balcony at the stairwell I get full bars.  When coming home my iPhone 3GS and iPad 3G connects to the MicroCell as I get to the stairwell at the first floor.  I've never had it not connect or not stay connected.  I've been making and receiving calls all week without any issues.

I can't say much for the data side.  The first weekend I left WiFi off on my iPhone and the data worked all weekend but after that I switched the WiFi back on my iPhone as its faster.  If I have WiFi in the house I might as well use it as its faster than cellular data.

But its been a very pleasant experience after the first hour of setting it up.

DreaminZ wrote:

Same here.

I live on the third floor of my apartment building in a 2br/2ba apartment.  The MicroCell is in my bedroom on the outer edge of the building (the outside stairwell comes up the center between the apartments).

I get M-Cell signal all the way down to the first floor.  Everywhere in my apartment and on the balcony at the stairwell I get full bars.  When coming home my iPhone 3GS and iPad 3G connects to the MicroCell as I get to the stairwell at the first floor.  I've never had it not connect or not stay connected.  I've been making and receiving calls all week without any issues.

I can't say much for the data side.  The first weekend I left WiFi off on my iPhone and the data worked all weekend but after that I switched the WiFi back on my iPhone as its faster.  If I have WiFi in the house I might as well use it as its faster than cellular data.

But its been a very pleasant experience after the first hour of setting it up.

9 of 80 (96,745 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 17, 2010 2:08:59 PM
(0)
Tutor

Glad to see that some people have been successful. I'm attempting to use it with an Apple AirPort Extreme and cannot find any configuration information for this router. Yes page 6 of AT&T's troubleshooting document does describe the general settings but they are not in "Apple speak". Does anyone know of a document which describes how to change the settings in the AirPort Extreme through Apple's AirPort Utility?

Yes I've found several forum messages either relating problems and stating "I got it working" but all are free of any information about how to set it up.

Thanks,

Bill

Glad to see that some people have been successful. I'm attempting to use it with an Apple AirPort Extreme and cannot find any configuration information for this router. Yes page 6 of AT&T's troubleshooting document does describe the general settings but they are not in "Apple speak". Does anyone know of a document which describes how to change the settings in the AirPort Extreme through Apple's AirPort Utility?

Yes I've found several forum messages either relating problems and stating "I got it working" but all are free of any information about how to set it up.

Thanks,

Bill

10 of 80 (96,608 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 17, 2010 4:03:50 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by Planet-Ed on May 17, 2010 at 4:18:07 PM

billferreira wrote:

Glad to see that some people have been successful. I'm attempting to use it with an Apple AirPort Extreme and cannot find any configuration information for this router. 

Try this method for the AirPort Extreme.  I just changed mine to this configuration.

Open the AirPort Utility.  On the left double-click on the router your wanting to set up (some people have more than one).

Click Internet in the top menu and then the DHCP tab.  Change the DHCP Beginning Address so it ends in 100.  Now under the DHCP Reservation you will want to click the + button.  In the Description I called mine "AT&T MicroCell 3G" without the quotes of course.  Check to make sure the MAC Address box it checked and then click Continue.  Enter the MAC address for the MicroCell.  You can find it on the bottom of the MicroCell.  I always enter mine using the colon between ever 2 digits.  So it will look something like this XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX when done.  Next for the IPv4 Address for the last part I set mine to 10 so on mine is 10.0.1.10 .. Now click Done.

Next click the NAT tab.  Click the Enable default host at: box and use the same 10 number like above.  Then click Update.  What the default host does is sets that IP address in the DMZ basically opening it up to all the ports.

After the router restarts I would unplug the MicroCell, wait a minute and then plug it back in to make sure it changes its IP address to what we set above.  Be patient as it can a little bit to get the green signal bar on the MicroCell to lock back up solid.

billferreira wrote:

Glad to see that some people have been successful. I'm attempting to use it with an Apple AirPort Extreme and cannot find any configuration information for this router. 

Try this method for the AirPort Extreme.  I just changed mine to this configuration.

Open the AirPort Utility.  On the left double-click on the router your wanting to set up (some people have more than one).

Click Internet in the top menu and then the DHCP tab.  Change the DHCP Beginning Address so it ends in 100.  Now under the DHCP Reservation you will want to click the + button.  In the Description I called mine "AT&T MicroCell 3G" without the quotes of course.  Check to make sure the MAC Address box it checked and then click Continue.  Enter the MAC address for the MicroCell.  You can find it on the bottom of the MicroCell.  I always enter mine using the colon between ever 2 digits.  So it will look something like this XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX when done.  Next for the IPv4 Address for the last part I set mine to 10 so on mine is 10.0.1.10 .. Now click Done.

Next click the NAT tab.  Click the Enable default host at: box and use the same 10 number like above.  Then click Update.  What the default host does is sets that IP address in the DMZ basically opening it up to all the ports.

After the router restarts I would unplug the MicroCell, wait a minute and then plug it back in to make sure it changes its IP address to what we set above.  Be patient as it can a little bit to get the green signal bar on the MicroCell to lock back up solid.

[ Edited ]
11 of 80 (82,660 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 17, 2010 4:10:59 PM
(0)
Master

Some people have reported they needed to have their MicroCell at a minimum of a few feet away from their router due to interference issues (not sure which brand router they were using).  So don't set the MicroCell and AirPort on top of or right next to each other.

Just something else to try also.

Some people have reported they needed to have their MicroCell at a minimum of a few feet away from their router due to interference issues (not sure which brand router they were using).  So don't set the MicroCell and AirPort on top of or right next to each other.

Just something else to try also.

12 of 80 (82,659 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 18, 2010 11:53:43 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for the suggestions but... I used your exact settings and it still doesn't work.

• The MicroCell is over 20 feet from the Airport Extreme.
  • Went through the whole procedure twice, powering everything down and back up.
  • When on M-Cell, there are 5 bars on the MicroCell  but no bars on either phone.
  • Turning Airplane mode on and off will go into "searching" followed by M-Cell on the phone for about 2 minutes. But while the phone is in this mode, it is completely dead to phone calls.
  • It then reverts to either Edge or 3G.

The AT&T troubleshooting document says the following settings are required:

• DHCP is on
  • Port Blocking is either turned off or allowing ports 4500 and 500
  • MAC address filtering is either turned off or allowing MAC address of MicroCell
  • IPSec Pass-through is Enabled
  • MTU size is set to 1492
  • Blocked Fragmented Packets is Disabled

Thanks for the suggestions but... I used your exact settings and it still doesn't work.

• The MicroCell is over 20 feet from the Airport Extreme.
  • Went through the whole procedure twice, powering everything down and back up.
  • When on M-Cell, there are 5 bars on the MicroCell  but no bars on either phone.
  • Turning Airplane mode on and off will go into "searching" followed by M-Cell on the phone for about 2 minutes. But while the phone is in this mode, it is completely dead to phone calls.
  • It then reverts to either Edge or 3G.

The AT&T troubleshooting document says the following settings are required:

• DHCP is on
  • Port Blocking is either turned off or allowing ports 4500 and 500
  • MAC address filtering is either turned off or allowing MAC address of MicroCell
  • IPSec Pass-through is Enabled
  • MTU size is set to 1492
  • Blocked Fragmented Packets is Disabled

13 of 80 (82,605 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 18, 2010 2:46:58 PM
(0)
Scholar

Are you running the latest version of iphone software?

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Are you running the latest version of iphone software?

14 of 80 (82,586 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 18, 2010 3:43:57 PM
(0)
Tutor

Yes, both iPhones are running the latest software. Furthermore, the phones were purchased about 6 months apart. 

Yes, both iPhones are running the latest software. Furthermore, the phones were purchased about 6 months apart. 

15 of 80 (82,580 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 18, 2010 6:22:07 PM
(0)
Master

Does it work if you plug the MicroCell directly into your internet modem without using your router?  If it works this way then I'd suggest an issue with your router or its settings.  If not that way then the only other things I can thing of is:

1) Bad MicroCell.

2) Your ISP is blocking something like ports on their end.

3) Some sort of signal interference from something in your area.

Does it work if you plug the MicroCell directly into your internet modem without using your router?  If it works this way then I'd suggest an issue with your router or its settings.  If not that way then the only other things I can thing of is:

1) Bad MicroCell.

2) Your ISP is blocking something like ports on their end.

3) Some sort of signal interference from something in your area.

16 of 80 (82,562 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 19, 2010 9:15:57 AM
(0)
Tutor

AT&T Tech Supports response: "We are limited on what we can do  here. I apologize the the incontinence."

So it goes back to the store.

AT&T Tech Supports response: "We are limited on what we can do  here. I apologize the the incontinence."

So it goes back to the store.

17 of 80 (82,535 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 20, 2010 9:05:46 AM
(0)
Teacher

I just took mine back. I had it plugged directly into my modem in front of my router. Initially it didn't work at all, then I re-registered it and it worked for a couple of hours and quit, I then re-registered it and it worked for several days. It then stopped and also kept our internet from working until I pulled it out. I spent hours on the phone with support going through the same steps over and over. I suspect it could be made to work if they looked at logs and diagnosed what is wrong but blindly going through a checklist of what to do (reset phone, reset MicroCell, unregister and re-register) was never going to find the problem. Extremely disappointed.

I just took mine back. I had it plugged directly into my modem in front of my router. Initially it didn't work at all, then I re-registered it and it worked for a couple of hours and quit, I then re-registered it and it worked for several days. It then stopped and also kept our internet from working until I pulled it out. I spent hours on the phone with support going through the same steps over and over. I suspect it could be made to work if they looked at logs and diagnosed what is wrong but blindly going through a checklist of what to do (reset phone, reset MicroCell, unregister and re-register) was never going to find the problem. Extremely disappointed.

18 of 80 (82,490 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 20, 2010 3:09:52 PM
(0)
Contributor

I was having the same problem for a week now - using an iPhone and another type of AT&T-based cell phone.   Both had been working fine for several weeks after the MicroCell was first installed.   My wireless router and cable modem have never been turned off or rebooted since the installation of the AT&T MicroCell about a month ago.   I did shut down my two PCs for a week while on vacation however the router and modem were left up and the network was used regularly by the housesitter so we know the network was working all along.    The MicroCell signal just became weak and finally would not show on our phones at all.   Wierd stuff but I guess it is the nature of electronics and/or networks. 

Finally decided today to reboot the 3G MicroCell ONLY - took about ten minutes and then successfully got an excellent signal on my phones.  There should not have been a reason to have to reboot the MicroCell but then again maybe this is like early versions of MS Windows - just reboot when in doubt about any problem or symptoms!   

- KRE

I was having the same problem for a week now - using an iPhone and another type of AT&T-based cell phone.   Both had been working fine for several weeks after the MicroCell was first installed.   My wireless router and cable modem have never been turned off or rebooted since the installation of the AT&T MicroCell about a month ago.   I did shut down my two PCs for a week while on vacation however the router and modem were left up and the network was used regularly by the housesitter so we know the network was working all along.    The MicroCell signal just became weak and finally would not show on our phones at all.   Wierd stuff but I guess it is the nature of electronics and/or networks. 

Finally decided today to reboot the 3G MicroCell ONLY - took about ten minutes and then successfully got an excellent signal on my phones.  There should not have been a reason to have to reboot the MicroCell but then again maybe this is like early versions of MS Windows - just reboot when in doubt about any problem or symptoms!   

- KRE

19 of 80 (82,442 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 3, 2010 11:09:40 AM
(0)
Contributor

From the knucklehead department -- me.  I too was having intermittent connectivity problems with my iphone. Tried rebooting everything to no avail.  Then I realized that to save battery life I routinely turn off 3G and wifi on my phone settings.  Sure enough, this was my problem.

The 3G Microcell works as advertised for me.  So long as I avoid knucklehead mode in the settings in my brain.

From the knucklehead department -- me.  I too was having intermittent connectivity problems with my iphone. Tried rebooting everything to no avail.  Then I realized that to save battery life I routinely turn off 3G and wifi on my phone settings.  Sure enough, this was my problem.

The 3G Microcell works as advertised for me.  So long as I avoid knucklehead mode in the settings in my brain.

20 of 80 (82,008 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 3, 2010 12:41:53 PM
(0)
Tutor

The saga continues.

Tried a 2nd MicroCell and it worked the same as the first. Interestingly while there was no voice connection, data worked fine. And yes WiFi was turned off on the phone. Tested this with 3 different iPhones, all dead on voice and all worked with data.

Tried a 3rd MicroCell and this one would never stop blinking the 3G lights. Went through several repeats of the setup procedure and even gave it 24 hours to try to connect with no luck. So it was returned and the money returned.

The saga continues.

Tried a 2nd MicroCell and it worked the same as the first. Interestingly while there was no voice connection, data worked fine. And yes WiFi was turned off on the phone. Tested this with 3 different iPhones, all dead on voice and all worked with data.

Tried a 3rd MicroCell and this one would never stop blinking the 3G lights. Went through several repeats of the setup procedure and even gave it 24 hours to try to connect with no luck. So it was returned and the money returned.

21 of 80 (82,605 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2010 9:36:43 PM
(0)

Anybody every figure this one out?  I brought home a brand new Microcell and it activated fine.  All lights are green.  I have two 3G iPhones (one at 3.0 and one at 3.1.3) and neither one shows any bars of service when connected to the M-Cell.  ZERO bars.  Like the previous poster, oddly, 3G data works fine.

I've tried hookup options A and C and restored both iPhones.  I've also tried the Microcell upstairs (which has 1-2 macrocell bars) and downstairs (which has 1 bar to no macrocell service).  Nothing seems to make a difference.  My Internet connection is Comcast 16Mbps up/3Mbps down.

Anybody every figure this one out?  I brought home a brand new Microcell and it activated fine.  All lights are green.  I have two 3G iPhones (one at 3.0 and one at 3.1.3) and neither one shows any bars of service when connected to the M-Cell.  ZERO bars.  Like the previous poster, oddly, 3G data works fine.

I've tried hookup options A and C and restored both iPhones.  I've also tried the Microcell upstairs (which has 1-2 macrocell bars) and downstairs (which has 1 bar to no macrocell service).  Nothing seems to make a difference.  My Internet connection is Comcast 16Mbps up/3Mbps down.

22 of 80 (82,334 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 22, 2010 8:09:18 AM
(0)

As a last resort, I pressed the Reset button on the back and held it until the 3G light went out (5-10 sec).  I then released it and 10-15 sec later all the lights went out and the Microcell rebooted.  When it came back up, both iPhones connected to the Microcell and have 5 bars all over the house including the garages.  Everything has worked great for the past two days (knock wood).  I don't know how the reset is any different from a power cycle, but it sure fixed my problems.  YMMV.

As a last resort, I pressed the Reset button on the back and held it until the 3G light went out (5-10 sec).  I then released it and 10-15 sec later all the lights went out and the Microcell rebooted.  When it came back up, both iPhones connected to the Microcell and have 5 bars all over the house including the garages.  Everything has worked great for the past two days (knock wood).  I don't know how the reset is any different from a power cycle, but it sure fixed my problems.  YMMV.

23 of 80 (82,279 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2010 4:55:15 PM
(0)
Tutor

Words of encouragement:

In the last few weeks, my iPhone will connect if I turn off WiFi on the phone and then toggle Airplane Mode. 

It's still pretty awful though because it drops the connection to the MicroCell a zillion times per day and I can only walk about 10 feet away from the MicroCell before my iPhone drops the M-Cell connection. 

Words of blame:

I'm pretty sure that this is all some kind of bug in Apple's iOS 4 and not a problem with the MicroCell.  Up until iOS 4.0.1 came out, my iPhone worked just fine with the MicroCell.  iOS 4.0.1 came out and then huge problems.  (And by "problems" I mean it wouldn't connect *at all*) 

iOS 4.0.1 was a fix related to signal strength.  The initial release of iOS 4 was erroneously displaying more bars of signal than it was really getting.  I think that there's a bug that was introduced in iOS 4.0.1 that's causing all of our M-Cell problems.  My iPad (iOS 3.2) connects to the MicroCell like a champ and works exactly like it's supposed to. 

Basically, it's the iPhone's decision about whether it's going to attach to the MicroCell or whether it's going to attach to the insanely weak cell tower signals.  Whatever it's doing, our iOS 4 iPhones make the wrong decision.

Words of (cranky) hope:

My $0.02, as soon as the Windows Phone 7 devices come out, I'm grinding this iPhone up in the blender and pouring it down the toilet.  Crossing my fingers that the WP7 devices work better with the MicroCell.

Words of encouragement:

In the last few weeks, my iPhone will connect if I turn off WiFi on the phone and then toggle Airplane Mode. 

It's still pretty awful though because it drops the connection to the MicroCell a zillion times per day and I can only walk about 10 feet away from the MicroCell before my iPhone drops the M-Cell connection. 

Words of blame:

I'm pretty sure that this is all some kind of bug in Apple's iOS 4 and not a problem with the MicroCell.  Up until iOS 4.0.1 came out, my iPhone worked just fine with the MicroCell.  iOS 4.0.1 came out and then huge problems.  (And by "problems" I mean it wouldn't connect *at all*) 

iOS 4.0.1 was a fix related to signal strength.  The initial release of iOS 4 was erroneously displaying more bars of signal than it was really getting.  I think that there's a bug that was introduced in iOS 4.0.1 that's causing all of our M-Cell problems.  My iPad (iOS 3.2) connects to the MicroCell like a champ and works exactly like it's supposed to. 

Basically, it's the iPhone's decision about whether it's going to attach to the MicroCell or whether it's going to attach to the insanely weak cell tower signals.  Whatever it's doing, our iOS 4 iPhones make the wrong decision.

Words of (cranky) hope:

My $0.02, as soon as the Windows Phone 7 devices come out, I'm grinding this iPhone up in the blender and pouring it down the toilet.  Crossing my fingers that the WP7 devices work better with the MicroCell.

24 of 80 (81,116 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2010 6:38:13 PM
(0)
Tutor

Before grinding your iPhone, my first suggestion would be to update to ios 4.1.  I believe included with this update was a new carrier profile (AT&T 7.0 to 8.0), but don't quote me on that.  I've had the M-Cell since June and our two iPhones (3GS model) connect as long as you toggle the phone in and out of airplane mode.  Sometimes the phone will pick it up, but it's a rare occurance.  My fiance's work BlackBerry is a different story.  It connected a few times after installing the M-Cell, but won't connect at all any longer. 

Everyone seems to be quick to throw the blame on Apple (and maybe they are partially at fault), but this isn't their device, it's AT&T's device.  They should be fixing this, not Apple. 

Before grinding your iPhone, my first suggestion would be to update to ios 4.1.  I believe included with this update was a new carrier profile (AT&T 7.0 to 8.0), but don't quote me on that.  I've had the M-Cell since June and our two iPhones (3GS model) connect as long as you toggle the phone in and out of airplane mode.  Sometimes the phone will pick it up, but it's a rare occurance.  My fiance's work BlackBerry is a different story.  It connected a few times after installing the M-Cell, but won't connect at all any longer. 

Everyone seems to be quick to throw the blame on Apple (and maybe they are partially at fault), but this isn't their device, it's AT&T's device.  They should be fixing this, not Apple. 

25 of 80 (81,098 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2010 4:32:30 AM
(0)
Tutor

Hi fatkid98,

I've been running iOS 4.1 since it was released.  I think that there's a partial bug fix in 4.1 and that's what's allowing me to connect to the MicroCell. 

It sounds like you and I have to do the same workaround though to make it work -- turn off WiFi on the phone and then toggle Airplane Mode.  That makes it work temporariliy but hardly as advertised. 

I'm sure that AT&T isn't blameless and I'm sure that the MicroCell has some bugs -- they've done at least 3 or 4 firmware patches since the device was released to retail -- but the electronic decision about which cell tower to attach to is largely on the device.  I doubt that AT&T is writing the operating system code on the handsets on behalf of Apple. 

-Ben

Hi fatkid98,

I've been running iOS 4.1 since it was released.  I think that there's a partial bug fix in 4.1 and that's what's allowing me to connect to the MicroCell. 

It sounds like you and I have to do the same workaround though to make it work -- turn off WiFi on the phone and then toggle Airplane Mode.  That makes it work temporariliy but hardly as advertised. 

I'm sure that AT&T isn't blameless and I'm sure that the MicroCell has some bugs -- they've done at least 3 or 4 firmware patches since the device was released to retail -- but the electronic decision about which cell tower to attach to is largely on the device.  I doubt that AT&T is writing the operating system code on the handsets on behalf of Apple. 

-Ben

26 of 80 (81,064 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2010 8:43:20 PM
(0)
Tutor

I agree 100% Ben.  One thing I've been doing lately is toggling off 3G for a few seconds and then turning it back on.  This also allows me to connect to the M-Cell without airplane.  It's a few more steps, but it doesn't turn off wifi.  Having wifi on or off doesn't seem to make a difference when trying to connect.  I still prefer to use wifi when I can rather than 3G.

I agree 100% Ben.  One thing I've been doing lately is toggling off 3G for a few seconds and then turning it back on.  This also allows me to connect to the M-Cell without airplane.  It's a few more steps, but it doesn't turn off wifi.  Having wifi on or off doesn't seem to make a difference when trying to connect.  I still prefer to use wifi when I can rather than 3G.

27 of 80 (81,008 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2010 7:46:01 AM
(0)
Tutor

I went through this whole Airplane Mode switching thing until some people claimed that getting a new SIM card helps. I was very skeptical but desperate enough to go along with it. It's still not perfect, but it now mostly works and does not require me do the Airplane Mode dance anymore. I do not need to switch off wifi either.

I went through this whole Airplane Mode switching thing until some people claimed that getting a new SIM card helps. I was very skeptical but desperate enough to go along with it. It's still not perfect, but it now mostly works and does not require me do the Airplane Mode dance anymore. I do not need to switch off wifi either.

28 of 80 (80,974 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2010 1:30:06 PM
(0)
Explorer

Not a new sim card for me but I had them reactivate it. (Was having provisioning issues and it basically was like getting a new sim card)  I went from a Fuze to a iPhone 3G and on both it would always say AT&T extend.. never M-Cell.   While it worked before flawlessly, it was a low signal even a floor above it.  Now I get full signal in the house, and can even pick it up next door. 

Not a new sim card for me but I had them reactivate it. (Was having provisioning issues and it basically was like getting a new sim card)  I went from a Fuze to a iPhone 3G and on both it would always say AT&T extend.. never M-Cell.   While it worked before flawlessly, it was a low signal even a floor above it.  Now I get full signal in the house, and can even pick it up next door. 

29 of 80 (80,885 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 28, 2010 12:32:32 PM
(0)
Contributor

I can get iPhone4s to connect to the MicroCell if I reboot the phone or toggle 3G.  But if I'm connected to the MicroCell and walk out of range and pick up a tower AT&T signal, when I come back the phone doesn't detect the MicroCell unless I reboot or toggle 3G.

I'm using a second MicroCell after the first died after a power failure (despite being on a surge protector).  It seemed like this problem didn't occur often then, but it was before I had the plastic bumper, so when I held the phone in the "wrong" way it may have sent my tower signal so low that the phone looked for the MicroCell (signal was typically 0-1 bars with no bumper, while holding the phone in the "wrong" way; I usually get 2-3 bars of tower AT&T signal). 

I've been using iOS 4.1 since a day or two after it came out.

The AT&T support folks suggested trying another MicroCell, which I did with the same results.  I've also tested with a second iPhone4, with the same results.  We have one non-iPhone; I can fiddle more with that but it doesn't seem to recognize the MicroCell at all.

I understand that AT&T and Apple have not gotten this working well enough to switch a call in progress to the MicroCell when coming into range.  But not switching to the MicroCell automatically when coming into range while not talking on the phone is a serious problem.  One could go through the hassle of toggling 3G before initiating a call, but one can't do that before answering a call.

From the size of this thread it seems there is a systematic problem here and AT&T should assign a high level technician to get this working, or issue some sort of other software or hardware fix, or warn anyone getting a MicroCell beforehand that for many people they don't work.

I can get iPhone4s to connect to the MicroCell if I reboot the phone or toggle 3G.  But if I'm connected to the MicroCell and walk out of range and pick up a tower AT&T signal, when I come back the phone doesn't detect the MicroCell unless I reboot or toggle 3G.

I'm using a second MicroCell after the first died after a power failure (despite being on a surge protector).  It seemed like this problem didn't occur often then, but it was before I had the plastic bumper, so when I held the phone in the "wrong" way it may have sent my tower signal so low that the phone looked for the MicroCell (signal was typically 0-1 bars with no bumper, while holding the phone in the "wrong" way; I usually get 2-3 bars of tower AT&T signal). 

I've been using iOS 4.1 since a day or two after it came out.

The AT&T support folks suggested trying another MicroCell, which I did with the same results.  I've also tested with a second iPhone4, with the same results.  We have one non-iPhone; I can fiddle more with that but it doesn't seem to recognize the MicroCell at all.

I understand that AT&T and Apple have not gotten this working well enough to switch a call in progress to the MicroCell when coming into range.  But not switching to the MicroCell automatically when coming into range while not talking on the phone is a serious problem.  One could go through the hassle of toggling 3G before initiating a call, but one can't do that before answering a call.

From the size of this thread it seems there is a systematic problem here and AT&T should assign a high level technician to get this working, or issue some sort of other software or hardware fix, or warn anyone getting a MicroCell beforehand that for many people they don't work.

30 of 80 (80,560 Views)