What is happening with 3G?
convergent's profile

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

Friday, January 22nd, 2010 1:32 PM

Closed

iPhone Not Connecting to Microcell

I have had the AT&T Microcell now for about a month.  When it works, it works great.  But for some reason, it gets to where it won't connect to my phone.  I am right now sitting here with my iPhone sitting on top of the Microcell and yet it still won't connect.  On the iPhone, I've tried rebooting it, turning WiFi on and off, turning 3G on and off, and turning flight mode on and off... and still I sit with no bars.  Sometimes it will work fine... sometimes it won't.  I can spend 15 or 20 minutes and restart the Microcell and that will work sometimes.  I believe this is happening with our other non-iPhone phones too, but I don't use them every day so have the most knowledge about my iPhone.  It is very, very frustrating because the coverage here is so bad that when the Microcell isn't kicking in then its hit or miss on calls and texts.  Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?  I need reliable service here.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

13 years ago

Also trying to keep this thread alive...here's another update.

It's been about 1.5 months since I dumped the iPhone and went for a Windows Phone 7 device.  My WP7 connects to the MicroCell without problems -- all day, every day. 

My wife's iPhone 3GS *still* doesn't connect to the MicroCell without going in to Airplane Mode.  The Airplane Mode trick doesn't always work either -- only about 60% of the time -- and she has to try it multiple times per day to stay attached to the MicroCell.

Has anyone heard anything new about firmware updates to the MicroCell or OS updates to the iPhone?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

I've also had the Micro Cell for a month or two.  It worked great for a while now no connectivity.  AT&T says it's been blocked by an outside source.  That tells me "hacked".  The will unblock in a couple of days.  Call AT&T a be persistent. 

Mentor

• 

24 Messages

13 years ago

With our iPhone 4s and the microcell, the issue is the time it takes from the time I dial the number until it starts to ring.  sometimes it can take 45 seconds, and other times it just fails the call.  If I reboot the iPhone, the time drops to about 4 ~ 6 seconds, but after a while, the time goes back up to 30 ~ 45 seconds.

In reading the posts on this forum it appears that no one has a solution to this so far.  

I am glad that I did not have to pay for this Microcell, as it has only been marginally better than the regular cell tower coverage in our neighborhood.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

May be it is because that following conditions are not being met:

1. Confirm the AT&T 3G MicroCell is within 3 feet of a window with a clear unobstructed view of the sky. 
  2. Verify that the AT&T 3G MicroCell is at least 1 foot away from the the Wi-Fi router, or other wireless broadcasting devices.
  3. There is required a broadband internet connection.  Minimum download speeds of 1.5 Mbps and upload speeds of 256 Kbps recommended.  All providers are supported.  Satellite Internet is not supported.

Mentor

• 

24 Messages

13 years ago

May be it is because that following conditions are not being met:

1. Confirm the AT&T 3G MicroCell is within 3 feet of a window with a clear unobstructed view of the sky. 
  2. Verify that the AT&T 3G MicroCell is at least 1 foot away from the the Wi-Fi router, or other wireless broadcasting devices.
  3. There is required a broadband internet connection.  Minimum download speeds of 1.5 Mbps and upload speeds of 256 Kbps recommended.  All providers are supported.  Satellite Internet is not supported. 

The MicroCell is within 3 feet of the window and 5 feet from the Wi-Fi router, and our AT&T DSL service is 6.0 Mbps/1.0 Mbps.
Other ideas?

Guru

• 

808 Messages

13 years ago

@gjlieber wrote:

With our iPhone 4s and the microcell, the issue is the time it takes from the time I dial the number until it starts to ring.  sometimes it can take 45 seconds, and other times it just fails the call.  If I reboot the iPhone, the time drops to about 4 ~ 6 seconds, but after a while, the time goes back up to 30 ~ 45 seconds.

Our Microcell currently has this as the major symptom as well. It's a transient problem, so the fact that it's better after rebooting your phone is a red herring.

It's almost certainly a problem with the back-end services at AT&T/Cisco, but it's yet another of the Microcell's problems that they refuse to acknowledge, let alone deal with.

Mentor

• 

24 Messages

13 years ago

I jut updated my iPhone 4 to iOS4.3 and all of the delay issues are gone.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

My husband and I each have an iPhone 4. His connects to our microcell with no problems, mine will not. I have tried restarting my phone and cycling through airpane mode, to no effect. Any ideas?

Guru

• 

396 Messages

13 years ago

@lgrooms wrote:

My husband and I each have an iPhone 4. His connects to our microcell with no problems, mine will not. I have tried restarting my phone and cycling through airpane mode, to no effect. Any ideas?

Have you looked at the MicrcoCell manager web page to make sure your phone number is registered with the MC?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

Yes. My number is the first listed. I considered deleting my number and relisting it, but the delete option is grayed out next to my number.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.