What is happening with 3G?
convergent's profile

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

Friday, January 22nd, 2010 1:32 PM

Closed

iPhone Not Connecting to Microcell

I have had the AT&T Microcell now for about a month.  When it works, it works great.  But for some reason, it gets to where it won't connect to my phone.  I am right now sitting here with my iPhone sitting on top of the Microcell and yet it still won't connect.  On the iPhone, I've tried rebooting it, turning WiFi on and off, turning 3G on and off, and turning flight mode on and off... and still I sit with no bars.  Sometimes it will work fine... sometimes it won't.  I can spend 15 or 20 minutes and restart the Microcell and that will work sometimes.  I believe this is happening with our other non-iPhone phones too, but I don't use them every day so have the most knowledge about my iPhone.  It is very, very frustrating because the coverage here is so bad that when the Microcell isn't kicking in then its hit or miss on calls and texts.  Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?  I need reliable service here.

Guru

• 

396 Messages

13 years ago

FWIW, if it's an iOS 4 problem it's not universal.

My wife has a 3GS with iOS 4.1 and she never has any problems connecting to our MicroCell.  Calls don't drop.  No stuttering or incoming calls going direct to voicemail, she can and does send MMS messages, etc.  I also have friends and family that have iPhone 4's and they don't have MicroCell issues either.

I've theorized that those and other problems that have been reported on this forum are geographically centered.  That is....some areas of the country have problems and others don't.  Here on Long Island the MicroCell pretty much works as advertised.

In the meant time, rumor had it that a firmware update was supposed to be rolled out in November.  November is here.  I'm waiting to see if people who were having problems start reporting that those problems have been fixed.

Guru

• 

808 Messages

13 years ago

@jefe wrote:

In the meant time, rumor had it that a firmware update was supposed to be rolled out in November.  November is here.  I'm waiting to see if people who were having problems start reporting that those problems have been fixed.

The big problem is that, for us, the problems we have are intermittent. And because AT&T doesn't tell anyone anything (even their own support staff, so far as I can tell), there won't be any way for us to know that an update has been sent. So in a normal universe, the conversation would be, "We sent you an update. Try it and see if it doesn't fix your problems." But AT&T doesn't do the standard things that any five year old would think to do that would make their customers happy.

Guru

• 

396 Messages

13 years ago

Yep, I get that nsayer, and I agree with you.

I'm hoping that someone will notice that their problem(s) has/have been fixed, will report that here, causing others to chime in and report whether or not any progress has been made with their issue(s).

Not the way it would be in an ideal world but, then, what is?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

I just struggled through this this weekend.  I did the Airplane Mode, reset Network Settings, and finally did a restore.  It was during the restore that I noticed the Microcell connected briefly.  When the backup was synced, the Microcell no longer connected.  I then tried swapping SIMs between two iPhones.  One phone worked with either SIM, the other phone didn't work with either.

Finally, the answer.  3G was turned off somehow.  I turned it back on and all is right with the world!

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

13 years ago

both my iphone stopped to connect to the cell last night. All the lights on the cell device is fine. I restarted both phone but no help. I turned off the cell and the service never come back. the 5 bar light keep blinking while all other lights are on. I think it must be something with the microcell service which ATT will never tell you and even the light is lying. they don't allow your phone connect to it because service is not avaliable.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

13 years ago

My 3g light finally stop blinking and I checked my iphone and both phone are connected to the cell.  so I think if your iphone can't connect to the cell, try to reboot the cell not your iphone..I trust Apple more than At&t

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

In the interest of keeping this post alive.  I continue to have the same problem as described for months.  I have a 3GS.  If I shutdown or power down, the connection to Microcell is made and works beautifully.  If I leave my home and come back, no signal, until I cycle again.  Good grief!!

Guru

• 

396 Messages

13 years ago

@clarym wrote:

In the interest of keeping this post alive.  I continue to have the same problem as described for months.  I have a 3GS.  If I shutdown or power down, the connection to Microcell is made and works beautifully.  If I leave my home and come back, no signal, until I cycle again.  Good grief!!

You might be one of those who would benefit from replacing your SIM card.  There have been a few posters who have reported doing so helped.  And my daughter-in-law, in fact, found that replacing the SIM in her 3GS improved what had been flaky performance with her iPhone and MicroCell.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

We've been having trouble since October.  Read all of these posts and tried turning on and off Airplane mode - and now the Microcell is showing up.   Will keep the forum posted as this has been a real challenge for us as we purchased it because of the purportedly improved signal.  Our problems coincided with the introduction of 3G in this city.  Not sure if it is related.

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

13 years ago

I think I may know what the issue is.  If the phone had any active data connections, the OS won't release the modem and let it roam over to the microcell.  The next time I get bounced off, I'm going to try killing all the running apps to see if that does it.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.