For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
projectqueen's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, February 23rd, 2016 4:47 PM

iPhone 5 iOS 9.2.1 wont connect to mCell

my iPhone 5 won't connect to mCell, my iPad mini and my husbands iPhone 5s WILL connect. I have restarted phone, reset NW settings, rebooted mCell etc and nothing works. Phone displays ..AT&T 4G. Cellular data, enable LTE, enable roaming are all set. iPad displays .....AT&T MCELL 4G. Both are sitting next to the mcell. Why wont the phone connect?

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

8 years ago

Our iPhones (3GS, 5, and 6) all connect just fine. If your other phones connect ok, and all of the lights on the MicroCell are a solid green, then the MicroCell is working as designed. Try disabling LTE on your iPhone 5. I leave LTE enabled on my iPhone 5 but disable roaming (I don't want to incur any possible extra charges and I don't really need roaming anyway).

This could be an LTE issue related to your iPhone 5. AT&T has been tweaking LTE in some areas for quite a long time now because of WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) and that seems to have had a negative effect on some iPhones in that once they lock onto the LTE signal, the phone can't seem to search for the MicroCell 3G signal and lock onto that.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

thanks for the reply. Yes mcell lights are all on. I tried disabling LTE and Data roaming, restarted ph etc - no change 😞

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

8 years ago

Something sounds amiss with your phone then given that  you have no issues with your other phones on the same MicroCell. How many devices do you have on the MicroCell at any given time? If you turn off all other connected devices (devices that are using the MicroCell) do you still have problems with the iPhone 5?

What kind of internet service do you have and with whom?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

My husband and I each have an Iphone 5S (IOS 9.3.1)and suddenly they were no longer working with our Microcell tower. I finally disabled the "enable LTE" setting and it recognized the microcell again. Seems like we went through this a year or so ago and it seemed to have been fixed by AT & T. Now it's the same issue.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

8 years ago

Have your tuned off entirely your phones and then turned them back on again? It could be that your phones need to re-register the MicroCell to their "neighborhood" cellular network.

I have LTE enabled on my iPhone 5 (iOS 9.3.1) had have not had any issues. I do know that when I updated my iOS there was an message that notified me that an AT&T network update was available.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I have the same issue as of 5/22/16. I can be sitting next to the microcell tower with my Iphone 5S and receive 5 bars connected to the M-Cell. If I enable LTE, I immediately lose the connection. Using OS 9.3.2.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

8 years ago

LTE "interference" has been a long standing issue with the iPhone and the MicroCell. It appears that the LTE signal strength/propagation was updated (increased) for HD VoLTE when WiFi calling was being tested and rolled out. In some areas, the phone will detect the increased LTE signal and attempt to connect to that causing "confusion" on the phone's part which bascially drops the phone from the 3G MicroCell cellular signal.

I'm running iOS 9.3.2 on my iPhone and have no problems at all with connectivity. However, even though LTE is in my neighborhood (I have to go outside and down a couple of houses to connect) it is fairly weak inside my home. The only "fix" is to disable LTE on your phone. I leave LTE enabled on my phone all of the time but when I'm coming down my street, my phone will hand off from LTE to 4G and then to the 3G MicroCell once I enter my driveway. The iPhone appears to prefer the stronger LTE signal than the 3G MicroCell signal because the phone will always look for the best connectivity possible.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I upgraded my iPhone 5 to iOS 9.3.2 and immediately began having problems connecting with my Microcell. It had been working perfectly. AT&T sent a new device and I logged in and replaced the new serial number for the old serial number.

And I am having the same problem. One second, 5 bars, then one, then NO SERVICE.Then two bars, then NO SERVICE. I can be right next to the Microcell and have this happening. 

I have disabled the LTE and it has not fixed the problem. 

I need my phone and am about ready to switch to Verizon which has better coverage in my area according to my friends who have it (and my brother who just switched and now gets a signal in our house no problem without needing a booster). 

Anyone have any suggestions before I pull the plug on AT&T?

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

8 years ago

I have an iPhone 5 running iOS 9.3.2 and it was fine after the upgrade. No issues at all. I now have a brand new iPhone 5SE running iOS 9.3.2 and it never missed a beat connecting to my MicroCell.

I'm assuming that the lights are a solid green on the MicroCell.

Have you turned off completely, waited a few seconds, and then turned the phone back on? It could be that the phone needs to re-register the MicroCell as part of its cellular neighborhood after the update. If not, you might want to consider Reset Network Settings. However, you will probably lose some pw's so keep them handy so you can re-enter them.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

My husband and I both have iPhones and as off sometime this morning, our Microcell will not connect to our phones.  We've rebooted, we've rebooted the phones.  We've shutdown our entire Internet/WiFi system.  We checked the settings on the Microcell.  All the lights are on as normal.  I see lots of complaints regarding AT&T cellphone users not getting a signal from their Microcell this morning. Lots.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.