What is happening with 3G?
flipjr's profile

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

Monday, September 10th, 2012 7:58 PM

Will 3G Microcell work with new Iphone 5?

Is it too early to know if the Iphone 5 will work with the 3G Microcells?

Voyager

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I have a Microcell and it work fine most of the time.  Sometimes one or more of the phones (iPhone 5) registered to the Microcell do not find the Microcell.  Instead it finds a weak tower signal and calls mostly fail.

Turning the phones off and on doesn't rectify the problem.

Restarting the Microcell takes a very long time.

Sometimes the secondary phone finds the Microcell after I call it from the primary phone, but not vice versa.

Sometimes the secondary phone finds the Microcell after I remove it and then add it to the user list.

It looks like I need "to wake up" (communicate with) the Microcell to get it to pick up the connection.

Is there a command (like Status) that I can send the MCell from the iPhone App or from texting to 6235 that reconnect me?  Any other ideas?

Thanks

Voyager

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

@ogneezy wrote:

I have a Microcell and it work fine most of the time.  Sometimes one or more of the phones (iPhone 5) registered to the Microcell do not find the Microcell.  Instead it finds a weak tower signal and calls mostly fail.

Turning the phones off and on doesn't rectify the problem.

Restarting the Microcell takes a very long time.

Sometimes the secondary phone finds the Microcell after I call it from the primary phone, but not vice versa.

Sometimes the secondary phone finds the Microcell after I remove it and then add it to the user list.

It looks like I need "to wake up" (communicate with) the Microcell to get it to pick up the connection.

Is there a command (like Status) that I can send the MCell from the iPhone App or from texting to 6235 that reconnect me?  Any other ideas?

Thanks

I'm having a similar problem.  I have an iPhone 5 and my husband has an iPhone 4.  We did not have M-cell at first after his updating to the new OS and me getting my iPhone 5, but now after reactivating the M-cell via the AT&T website both of us have M-cell showing up with a strong signal but the service is very bad.  We can't have a conversation on either phone because the service cuts out so bad and most of the calls are eventually dropped.  Does anyone have any suggestions? 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Yes, DEFINITELY!

I just got my iPhone5 a few days ago.  I live in between 2 US bases and it's been said that due to the bases  cell phones dont get great reception.  SInce Ive moved to this new place, my cell could not be used at all.  I went to ATT and complained about my situation.  Thankfully the manager was very kind enough to offer a FREE Microcell and super discount ($199.00) for my iPhone5 to replace my iPhone4 as a complimentary and to fix the problem.  Sure enough as soon as my Microcell got activated, my iPhone5, and AT&T Wireless Home Phone Base ($19.99 per month - AMAZING PHONE, by the way. You dont need a phone jack to hook it up with.  It goes straight to your electric wall, and your phone to the phone base box.  No internet needed.  Works just like a landline.  You can carry with you everywhere, anytime.) worked like MAGIC!

I could not thank ATT enough for helping me and for  GREAT CHRISTMAS PRESENT!

Thank you ATT!

Happy Holidays!

Marie Heart

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

11 years ago

Thank you for the kind words Marie. 

I must say, it is very unusual to be able to get a Microcell free of charge. I am very glad you had a positive experience and you're happy with the service AT&T provided. 

Welcome to our community!

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

11 years ago

The Wireless Home Base is a new device that apparently is being offered now by AT&T. Somebody mentioned it in another thread. It's a monthly subscription service that works like a landline if you don't already have one. Hence the monthly fee. I agree, it is unusual for AT&T to give you a free MicroCell but if you upgraded/purchased an iPhone 5 I can see that. I'm not sure how the Home Base works so I'll have to look into that. FWIW, I have an iPhone 5 and it works perfectly with the MicroCell without the new Home Base device.

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

11 years ago

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Anyone having issues with your iPhone always staying on 4G, even when away from the Microcell? I've noticed this weird issue on my iPhone 5 and my wife's iPhone 5 where if we leave the Microcell, our phones will stay on 4G, until it's been rebooted.

It's annoying that I keep having to do that.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

11 years ago

@gueriLLaPunK wrote:

Anyone having issues with your iPhone always staying on 4G, even when away from the Microcell? I've noticed this weird issue on my iPhone 5 and my wife's iPhone 5 where if we leave the Microcell, our phones will stay on 4G, until it's been rebooted.

It's annoying that I keep having to do that.

Is there a problem with your calls or reception? The MicroCell will only connect at 3G even though the phone may say 4G. My iPhone 5 (6.0.2), inside the house, always says <4-5 bars> AT&T M-Cell 4G when I first take it out of Standby and then the 4G indicator usually goes away. Sometimes it stays at 4G but it's not a big deal. The iPhone indicates: Settings -> General -> About -> Network AT&T MicroCell. When I get out of MicroCell range, the iPhone will show 3G/4G/LTE depending on which tower is nearest to me. I don't understand what the problem is.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Sorry, I forgot to add that I live in an LTE area with excellentg coverage. While I'm at home, I will be on 4G (which is expected since the Microcell doesn't support LTE) but when I leave my house, I will have full bars of 4G, even miles away from home. If I reboot my phone (or my wife's phone) I/we will then have full bars of LTE.

I'm wondering if there's some sort of back end provisioning that doesn't tell the towers to use my LTE radio and if anyone else has experienced these issues.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

11 years ago

I can't see how this has anything to do with the MicroCell. We too have excellent LTE coverage in our area and my iPhone connects at whatever protocol it detects, whether it's in our house on the MicoCell or outside at 3G/4G/LTE. Is LTE always enabled on your iPhones? When you're in your house, does the iPhone say M-Cell at the top (disregard if it says 4G cause if you're on the MicroCell that's how your calls will be placed/received). 4G/LTE is still relatively new in some areas so it could just be the way the towers are setting their output.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.