For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
flipjr's profile

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

Monday, September 10th, 2012 7:58 PM

Will 3G Microcell work with new Iphone 5?

Is it too early to know if the Iphone 5 will work with the 3G Microcells?

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

12 years ago

so the microcell and iphone 5 finally connected this morning...but I have to be honest.  When I turned wifi off and was on AT&T 4g LTE, service was pretty darn good.  made several phone calls...had 2 different hour conversations while walking around the house.

I guess AT&T was serious about improving service in my area (Philly burbs)

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

wife and i received 2 iPhone 5s.  same problems as everyone.   painful since we get 0 to 1 bars at home.

Possible Fix (worked for us):

summary: go to AT&T website, disconnect mcell, add NEW mcell (same serial #) & authorized #s, wait ~15min

voila! working now.  let's see if it holds

thanks guys for helping us all live on the cutting edge! 🙂

mc

Scholar

• 

33 Messages

12 years ago

Yeah deactivating and and activating my mcell did it for me.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

My microcell is now working.  Just powercycle the Microcell and it should get the update from ATT.  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Mine didn't work either with my iPhone 5.  I went to my account at att.com and then went into my microcell settings.  I completely deactivated my microcell and then set it up again as if it were brand new.  After the set up my iphone 5 now connects to the microcell.  Good luck

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

Smiley Happy It worked after I did the following:   Went to my MicroCell settings page online and deleted one of my authorized visitor numbers and then saved the change.  FWIW that number was in bold because there was a problem with that number (do not know if this was a factor).  I did not reinsert the number to my list.  Then I took the phone close to the Microcell Tower and turned phone settings on airplane mode on and off, and then again. MCell then worked on the second toggle to airplane mode and back.  Think that reinitializing after the change to numbers seemed to have toggled it to work 🙂   Hope it may help someone else. 

Explorer

• 

22 Messages

12 years ago

Yes it does! Smiley Happy

I replaced two iPhone 3GS with two new iPhone 5.  I pulled them out of the box on Friday, Sept 21st, synced my old phones to iTunes, then synced my new phones to iTunes.  Both iPhone 5 units immediately connected to the existing Microcell without any configuration changes on the Microcell.  The signal show "AT&T Microcell 4G" which is really just 3G with HSPA+ which AT&T has branded 4G (not LTE).  The signal strength does show "AT&T LTE" when I am in an LTE service area.  The transition from the old 3GS to the new 5 was seamless and perfect.  The new iPhone 5 is a wonderful upgrade from the 3GS.   

Yes, the iPhone 5 does indeed work just fine with the existing Microcell. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Aggregated! I have 2 new iPhone 5s that will not pick up a signal from my Microcell. I tried todeactivate/ reactivate online and isays I was successful but when I go back to my Microcell status page it is still active. So I have not been successful at bouncing it. Then I go to the AT&T store and they tell me I should go home and call customer support to walk me throughthe activation process. HELLO! The whole reason why I Paid $200 for a Micro cell is because AT&T's service is non existent at my house. So I go to my car and call AT&T customer "care" and first Iam told that it needs to be deactivated and reactivated....and that I could do this without calling (basically a nice way of saying please don't bother us). I explained I cannot that to work and told her again abouthey new iPhone 5. Then I'm told that there may be a problem with iPhone 5 and the Microcell.  After recognition of the larger problem then I am told that it is being fixed and I Ned to let it cycle through...call back in 72 hours and if I still have a problem they can build a case. I HAVE BEEN WAITING 72 HOURS ALREADY

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

12 years ago

Did you have a functional MicroCell beforehand that worked with your cells? The corporate stores cannot help you with the MicroCell so you unfortunately have to call support (which is difficult if you don't have cell phone coverage in your home). The "problem" with the iPhone 5s and the MicroCell is supposedly due to a firmware upgrade by Cisco (the mfr of the MicroCell) so that the new iPhones will work with AT&Ts version of 4G. This hasn't been confirmed (and probably won't be) and has only affected some service areas (we haven't seen it here for example and our iPhones work just fine with the MicroCell). You may have to borrow someone's cell phone who have coverage in your area to call support and walk thru the process. That sucks for sure but it may be your only option at this point in time if this is a new MicroCell setup. If activation is successfull, you should get a text message that says so. The status page isn't always as current as it should be.

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

12 years ago

@TheaWalsh wrote:

Aggregated! I have 2 new iPhone 5s that will not pick up a signal from my Microcell. I tried todeactivate/ reactivate online and isays I was successful but when I go back to my Microcell status page it is still active. So I have not been successful at bouncing it. Then I go to the AT&T store and they tell me I should go home and call customer support to walk me throughthe activation process. HELLO! The whole reason why I Paid $200 for a Micro cell is because AT&T's service is non existent at my house. So I go to my car and call AT&T customer "care" and first Iam told that it needs to be deactivated and reactivated....and that I could do this without calling (basically a nice way of saying please don't bother us). I explained I cannot that to work and told her again abouthey new iPhone 5. Then I'm told that there may be a problem with iPhone 5 and the Microcell.  After recognition of the larger problem then I am told that it is being fixed and I Ned to let it cycle through...call back in 72 hours and if I still have a problem they can build a case. I HAVE BEEN WAITING 72 HOURS ALREADY

I'm sorry you had a poor experience when you called in. 

Did you get your callback or can I help? You're welcome to send me a private message with your name, account number, phone number and the best time to contact you.

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type my username in the "Send To" field.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.